No announcement yet.

Political Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the D get control of both houses of congress and the presidency then the Congress will flip to R most likely in 2010. Personally I would like to see the end of the R and D parties. Our nation could do better, we need more than two major parties to make our form of democracy work.

The third parties should probably try challenging the ballot access laws in each of the 50 states based on the civil rights laws and anti-discrimination laws. They could also tailor it to the specific state's constitutions in many cases which many of the ballot laws seem to subvert.

Only with free and open election to all interested parties can we fix the problems of the United States. I yearn for a day when no party has a majority in either the Senate or House. Then perhaps the people will again become the rulers of the land.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Vote early

Well, I voted this afternoon. I was number 2624 in our county to vote. I read up ahead of time on the issues we were voting on, including an initiative which would make it illegal for anyone to adopt/foster a child if they are not legally married, even a child that has never been in the system. I stepped into the voting booth, and pulled out my cheat sheet telling me how I wished to vote on each issue. It also named our incumbents and whether they voted for or against the bailout bills. I voted for or against accordingly. I was now facing the choices for President. I held my breath, and voted for the person that most closely mirrors how I think the country should be run. A choice that I have always made in the past, regardless of party affiliation. But this year, I have actually done more research than in the past, so I have absolute certainty that I picked the best person for the job.

People, don't look at party affiliations when you vote. Look at where the candidates actually stand on the issues most important to you. When it comes to initiatives and amendments, take the time to read through them and see what they are proposing. Then vote for the person closest to how you feel.
      The only wasted vote is one that is made for the lesser of 2 evils.
      Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
      Plan approved- 7/11/05
      Date discharged--10-12-2007
      Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Good to hear you're confident of your vote, that's the way it should be. The only sad thing about it all is...your vote won't do squat determing who's actually elected President.
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

All depends really.

For example say McCain wins the electoral college.

Bob Barr then could challenge the Texas election based on the fact that both the D and R nominee were chosen after the Texas deadline and thus by Texas law should not have been on the ballot. Most likely in that case Texas would then award its electoral votes to Barr assuming his case was heard by the US Supreme Court and they upheld the Texas law.

This means no one wins the electoral college.

Election goes into the House.

With Texas going to Barr, undoubtedly Obama would in this case have the most electoral votes, McCain the second most and Barr the third. The House for the most part don't like McCain. However at the same time the Democrats probably would like to avoid having the next 4 years of financial troubles blamed on them, so they could in theory pick Barr so that they can lay the blame at his feet. (Incidentally the only time that the House has chosen the President they did not pick the frontrunners as President....)

Comment

Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
            The only wasted vote is one that is made for the lesser of 2 evils.
            Agreed.
            This is the first year I felt like I was not doing that or being forced to do that.

Comment

Hell the past two elections we had a bunch of baffoons running and leading this country.
              The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Interesting proposition in California: Earlier this year the California Supreme Court decided to legalize same sex marriages. This proposition is to undo the court's decision. A "yes" vote would overturn the court's decision, a "No" vote would not, and same sex couples would therefore given the right to get marries.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                  Hell the past two elections we had a bunch of baffoons running and leading this country.
                  Unless Sheehan pulls off an upset, you'll still have Congress controlled by two bafoons, Pelosi and Reed.

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
                    Interesting proposition in California: Earlier this year the California Supreme Court decided to legalize same sex marriages. This proposition is to undo the court's decision. A "yes" vote would overturn the court's decision, a "No" vote would not, and same sex couples would therefore given the right to get marries.
                    It's called Proposition 8, keep in mind a similar ballot initiative had denied such rights to Californians prior to the activist court chosing to override the will of the people of California. (The previous measure had passed with a 60% yes vote, this one we'll have to see, it is also worded slightly differently than the previous version).

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                      Good to hear you're confident of your vote, that's the way it should be. The only sad thing about it all is...your vote won't do squat determing who's actually elected President.

this is true. my long time friend in florida said he used paper ballots and everyone got to keep a copy this time because the last two elections florida was totally screwed out of their votes.

michigan was also screwed out of their votes in the primary.

oba winning over hill proved that our votes dont matter because they give delegates to whoever they please. it is a very screwed up system and has to be changed.

Comment

Surprisingly one of this country's major issue/problem - illegal immigration - was never really touched upon by the two candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
                          Surprisingly one of this country's major issue/problem - illegal immigration - was never really touched upon by the two candidates.

I can't imagine why...
                          The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I'm betting that with two years of the dems in control if the media will suddenly report positive news about the economy even if in the same shape as now and positive news from from Iraq (and yes the tr will still be there then).

I'm also wondering if the dems and media will still blame everything on Bush in two or more years from now.
                            The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                              I'm betting that with two years of the dems in control if the media will suddenly report positive news about the economy even if in the same shape as now and positive news from from Iraq (and yes the tr will still be there then).

I'm also wondering if the dems and media will still blame everything on Bush in two or more years from now.
                              They'll try. Basically they'll claim it took George Bush 8 years to screw it up and they need more time to fix it. They'll gloss over the fact they controlled the Congress for the last 2 years of Bush's term and didn't do anything.

I wish folks would start to look past the rhetoric. Think about how the Dems took control back of the Congress. Have they accomplished anything they promised? The answer is no. Expect more of the same.

With Dems fully in control you'll probably see some form of the carbon tax pass which actually will further erode our industrial base in the United States. I don't think the Health Care will come for the same reason Clinton never got it through, we simply can't afford it and the numbers are to big to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post

oh! sbqush will be getting the blame for everything for the next 100 years but has nothing to do with parties. it will take at least 100 years to turn his damage around. not even republicans like him now.
                                i really doubt we will be getting positive reports much in just two years but has nothing to do with parties. Bush (character & Individual) made sure it would take a century to pull out of his sludge he is leaving behind. Lying Smush should have went to the gallows with his buddy Saddam. They are two peas in a pod.

put up yer dukes, smokey

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X