Free of Diet Coke for 1 year! LOL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free of Diet Coke for 1 year! LOL!

Okay, I know this has nothing to do with Bankruptcy and probably the oddest post you'll ever see on this board - but it is a personal milestone for me!

Last year at this time, we were in the midst of our bankruptcy, failing business, and at the beginning stages of losing our home - stress limits were OFF THE CHART!

I drank Diet Coke every waking hour of the day - 2 liters a day (sometimes more) - straight from the 2 liter bottle - no glass - no ice. I had that dang 2 liter bottle with me every minute of the day - I carried it every where I went. I used to buy 24 2 liter bottles of diet coke at at time.

In the heat of the stress of our BK, I started to get panic attacks. When I went to the doc for some meds, he asked me about my caffeine intake - I told him I drank a whole pot coffee a day and 2 liters of diet coke - he was astonished and recommended I get off the caffeine immediately.

Soooooooooooo, last year on December 29, 2005, I poured out all my diet coke down the sink. I was desperate to get rid of anything that would trigger a panic attack - and the caffeine wasn't helping. Anyway since that day not one ounce of diet coke has passed these lips.

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of quitting the diet coke addiction.

I know it probably sounds silly - but it was a real problem for me - and I'm THRILLED that one year later - I beat it - and probably saved a boatload of money not buying it.

Today, I drink plain ole H20 - straight from the tap - no designer water for this girl!
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2006, 08:51 PM.

i know the addiction well, it IS adictive. Very good, congrats. For some reason it relieves stress, I can't explain it. It is like smoking and yes even immediately after every hurricane it is the first thing I hunt for, the very first.

The diet coke problem is a real one for several people I know.
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by BK'd-Betty View Post
      Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of quitting the diet coke addiction. I know it probably sounds silly - but it was a real problem for me - and I'm THRILLED that one year later - I beat it - and probably saved a boatload of money not buying it. Today, I drink plain ole H20 - straight from the tap - no designer water for this girl!
      Congratulations, Betty! It's such a sense of personal power to overcome any personal addiction and you did it! Way to go!
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Congratulations!!! I have couple of habits to leave in this year...hope to be as successful!!!
        Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
        Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Congrats! Yup, its hard to get off of. I drank 1-2 12 packs of mountain dew for a couple years + coffee + chewing tobacco (4X the nicotine of cigarettes) to stay awake during a long midnight hours job I had. It went to the point of getting anxiety attacks and I had to stop caffeine ever since then immediately, I can't even do a can of coke now without starting to feel sick.

Comment

That's something to be proud of and not a bit silly. Congratulations!!!

niteflytes
            Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
            TU: 535

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses and support!

I reminded my husband that it had been a year and we started talking about it - he reminded me of something I had completely forgotten - I used to actually take the 2 liter bottle to bed with me - kept it on the nightstand and woke up several times during the night to take swig! LOL

Funny how our minds "help" us forget certain things! I didn't even think I had a diet coke addiction - I just thought I "liked" diet coke (and by the way, not just diet coke - it had to be CHERRY diet coke), it wasn't until I had a mild withdrawal and realizing how much of it I was drinking that made me realize I was addicted.

Now, if I could get off the cigs, I might be okay

Comment

One in the morning (5am) $1.47 at our Shell, seveen to eight in the day at .60, one on the way Home at Griffin Road Shell $1.30, two more at night 1.09-1.47. Any stress, to the corner Shell again $1.47. Forget about buying 12/24's, gone over night. Does not include the 2 liters. about $8.00 to 10.00 per day on DC only, seven days. I have been weaning off of them for about one month. Started on them about 11 years ago.

Congrats seriously, it is a habit that has bad health implications. The headaches are devestating, after reducing the first week the headaches were awful, I mean middle of the night horrors, waking up like you had a chord being tightened at the back of the head. I need to kick it totally. I think you kicked a bad habit and your health will be much better for it.

Money has been the catalyst for me, we have cut down drastically on eating out and food out of the house. My BK, McD and Wendy's and Gas Station stops totaled in excess of 450.00 per month since last May, I jsut spent last weekend downloading all my CC and Checkcard transactions into Quicken, I went through the Gas Station and Fast Food items and took out store numbers so that they all lump into one group, I was shocked.
                Last edited by robivi3; 12-29-2006, 08:20 PM.
                "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Yep! I remember the headaches when I stopped and feeling like I was going to vomit for 2 days. It was pretty mild tho - I've gone through withdrawals for other stuff that put me in the hospital - migraines, out of control vomitting, the whole nine yards (such a pretty picture, huh? LOL)

Yes, Quicken can be a real eye opener, I've been using it for awhile - I'm in the accounting field anyway, so it's just natural for me to wanna split hairs when it comes to money.

Eating out is bad for you (too many empty calories and toooooooooooo much sodium) and expensive.

We limit ourselves and budget in a dinner outside the home occasionally - I've lost about 35 lbs since we stopped eating out.

Prior to our BK - we ate every meal outsite the home - it was ridiculous - and I'm still in "awe" of how much money we save by eating every meal in our home!

Good luck on the DC thing - it's a b*tch!

Comment

Way to go!!!! I am SO addicted to Diet Cokes! I will be weaning myself off of them as I can't go "cold turkey" off caffeine because of my migraines.

I have been known to "beg" for change at the office to go and get one during a sinking spell. I know, it is shameful!
                    Filed: 2/24/2006
                    341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
                    Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by BK'd-Betty View Post
                      Today, I drink plain ole H20 - straight from the tap - no designer water for this girl!
                      You'd have to drink our tap water to understand why we have it treated/softened and then run thru a Reverse Osmosis unit before drinking.

Congrats, Betty!!

A diet soda habit is nothing to scoff at. And you really weren't at all bad compared to a guy we saw on TV the other day. He drank 4 - 2 liters EVERY day. It is a problem for many more people than I am sure would ever admit to it.
                      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                      Discharged - 12/2006
                      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I guess we're lucky SinkingFast - our tap water tastes like Poland Spring! LOL

I can't imagine drinking 4 2 liters a day - I'd be in the bathroom all day!

I *may* try to tackle the smoking thing this year - I'm just not there yet. BUT, I have been thinking about it more and more and actually considering it, whereas in all these years past, I wouldn't even consider it as an option. So, we'll see!

Think of the money I'd save!

Originally posted by SinkingFast View Post
                        You'd have to drink our tap water to understand why we have it treated/softened and then run thru a Reverse Osmosis unit before drinking.

Congrats, Betty!!

A diet soda habit is nothing to scoff at. And you really weren't at all bad compared to a guy we saw on TV the other day. He drank 4 - 2 liters EVERY day. It is a problem for many more people than I am sure would ever admit to it.

Comment

Good JOB!

You have given me hope...hehe!!
                          I started weight watchers for the new year. One of my biggest problems is Pepsi. I used to drink 3 cans a day!!!
                          I cant drink the diet as aspertame makes my migraines worse. So now Ive become best buddies with that coke/pepsi with splenda. I have to kick the habit all the way though.
                          Caffeine actually helps my migraines! Odd. My migriane meds have caffeine in them.
                          Man its tough!!!
                          wam
                          ch7 8/07 CLOSED: 11/07 Rebuilding and saving.
                          WAMU unsecured $2,000 Capital One unsecured $500
                          PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X