Long lost family member ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long lost family member ...

Usually when we think of a long lost family member, we think of someone we know that is no longer with us, that for some reason, they went away or "left."

We never consider the "long lost family member" to be ourselves. It's alway someone else.

Well, that's what I have been. See.. my mom and dad separated when I was 2. I am 39. I won't go into the whole series of events, but...last night I was finally able to contact him and talk to him. I never knew anything about my father's side of the family, nor had I visited since I was younger than 10.

It's been an emotional 24 hours as yesterday morning I found out I may have lupus. Tests are being done but the rheumatologist is "confident" I have it.

I spoke with my aunt, who is my father's sister in law first. She was very gentle with me and wouldn't give my father my number - leaving me to make the move to contact him. She mentioned how they always thought about me and she kept saying how I am not alone and that I have family. I never thought of "family" being in the context of my dad's side, only with mom. Since I've only had contact with her side. And so now this.

It was weird talking to her because I really got the feeling that for him and his side of the family that *I* was the "long lost family member." And that they "found" me. It's weird, because I never felt lost, I'm right here. hehe During my conversation with her the comment that broke me into tears was that my father has regretted not looking for me sooner and staying away. And that he's been so sad this whole time.

So. After talking to her for 20 minutes, I hung up and cried and my boyfriend was supportive and talked to me and I cried some more for an hour. And then... I called my father. We spoke for 40 minutes and got to know each other a little better.

He's 62. Was married, but his wife died of an illness 10 years ago. He has two children, son 32 daughter 30. And yes, I am angry that he probably helped put those children through school. His wife has always known he was previously married and that he had a little girl - me. So his kids have always known about me.

The weird thing is that in my heart had always known and could only picture him with.. guess what? 2 kids, older son, younger daughter, and that they'd be in their 30's by now. It's creepy-weird finding out that this is true.

I've purchased tix to go out to California to meet him. It's weird, because I want to go, but then I don't. I don't know what I'm feeling because I'm feeling so many different things all at once. Right now I'm wishing I could cancel the airplane ticket purchase. About 20 minutes ago I was excited about going. I may be excited to go in an hour, then in 2 hours I may not want to go. It's all so much.

37 years. At the end of the conversation he told me he loved me. I just said, "Ok. I'll talk to you later." I could tell he probably was dissapointed, but it just wasn't there for me.

At anyrate...I'm flying out next week. My boyfriend is coming with me. If anything, I have another uncle out there (who is brother to my mother) and who has been the closest to a father figure I have had my whole life.

What a Thanksgiving. Man... what a fourth quater for me this year.
    Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
    Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
    Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
    11/16/2007 - Discharged!

What an emotional roller coaster. The Lupus is scary and painful enough. I hope that you can find effective treatment through natural means if at all possible. Ive heard many foods aggrevate many immune disorders. A big one is soy for me & my family. I wish you well on that journey. Read read read!!
    Then about your father. OYE!!!! Thats odd of him to declare his love after not contacting you for eons. I guess deep inside he has it, but for whatever reason never acted on it? Take it slow, dont expect much but hope for the best. (A close pal just found her adoptive mother after 35 years, and she had one heck of a roller coaster ride emotionally when her mother seemed lovely at first and turned into a total basket case and mean spirited woman. This is why I say dont expect much and hope for the best!)
    Good luck to you!!!
    WAM
    ch7 8/07 CLOSED: 11/07 Rebuilding and saving.
    WAMU unsecured $2,000 Capital One unsecured $500
    PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

lupus

I have lived with lupus for almost 18 yrs. While it is a scary disease it can be maintained and you can live a great life. With the proper medicines you can even go into remission. Best of Luck

Comment

Whatamess, hey, I wanted to thank you. In my mind I had started to romanticise the meeting with my father. He sounded nice on the phone but your post brought me back to reality. He is any regular ol' human being with his own life story, frustrations, happiness, etc. etc. I need to remember that and be objective about the meeting. Feel him out first. Because, after all...he never did keep contact with us (me and my mother).

sandhall, right now they're doing tests. The rheumatologist took one look at my thining hair and said it was "classic lupus pattern." He also said if the tests come back negative (as I have already been tested 2 yrs ago for lupus and it came back negative) that just means I have an extremely mild form of lupus and that would be a "fantastic." Dunno. Just waiting on the test results.

I know *something* is wrong with me, I'm just not sure what.
        11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

chpxiii

My heart goes out to you and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lupus is mild.

I also hope your meeting with your dad goes well for both of you. I fully understand your feelings towards him because I think it's similar in how I look at my daughter who has abandoned her own kids....it just doesn't make sense that someone could abandon their own children.

There are times that I am angry as h*ll at her for what she did to them and want she did to us. She ruined us financially and changed our golden years dramatically, just as what your dad did to your mom. But the anger is counter-productive and I hope you can avoid it with your dad. This will be especially important if you have lupus, you don't need the stress caused by anger.

I hope your dad doesn't try to play the blame game, surely at his age he will own up to what he did and not try to feed you excuses, but be prepared for it if it comes.

Best of luck.

Granny
          I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

I have also been tested for lupus, lyme disease and rheumatoid arthritis. All were negative but my whole family has a mystery disorder along with thyroid disease. I pity you. My knee joints swell all the time. I had a tick bite with the bulls eye years ago and was treated, but I rode horses and mountain biked. Hence I always had ticks years ago. Those three diseases can mimic each other.

BTW I hope I did not seem off, I just hate to see people get hurt. Im a rather gaurded person.
            Again, best wishes.
            WAM
            PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

My lab results came back negative for lupus, sjorgen's syndrome, and rheumatoid arthritis, but the rheumatologist still thinks I have lupus and has given me meds for it. Hydroxychloroquine. He wantsme to take it for a very very long time.

So we'll see if I start to feel any better.
              11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

Keep us updated!!!!
                Hope you feel better soon,
                regards...
                WAM
                PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X