Best e-filing site for quick refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best e-filing site for quick refund

Seems I'm getting low on cash, and am really excited about geting a tax refund that I won't have to share w/ my soon to be ex hubby. What is the usual turn around time for getting your refund? Is it best to use the actual IRS site for your electronic filing? Any "rapid refund" sites that anyone has used that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
    Thanks!

TTA, the IRS doesn't actually handle rapid refunds, that's through whoever hosts the electronic filing. But do yourself a favor and stay away from anything that looks like a refund loan; with electronic filing you'll have your return in 10 days or even sooner anyway, so it's just not worth the fees!!!

If you make $30k or less (or up to $39,783 but are eligible for Earned Income Credit) you can file your taxes online for FREE, courtesy of the Tax Freedom Project hosted by the IRS to get more people to file. If you qualify, there's your "rapid" refund for FREE! Go to taxfreedom.com, which is the free portal for TurboTax (the partner in this initiative) for more info. Hope this helps!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Thanks for the reply - wow, 10 days or so through the IRS site, what a great deal!

Comment

You Rock Daisy!

I just checked this out and , gonna work for me. I just completed my 2006 taxes and had paid 75.00 plus tax for the Turbo tax program...this is going to give me the same thing for free! (well, 9.95 for state but it's a small price to pay). Thanks for posting that link. I just today got my 2007 W2's and have to get the taxes done this weekend as my lawyer wants copies of this and last year's returns.

EP
        California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

I've done mine online for a few years now and love it. I usually get my refund back in no time at all, but this DOES depend on how late you do your return; the earlier the better. Oh and have it direct deposited into your bank account; that too speeds it up.
          Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
          341 Meeting July 19, 2007
          Discharged September 17, 2007
          Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Looking for Turbotax to start "last second reporting"! I don't get refunds!!! YOWWWW!!!!! My effective Tax rate is very low (on about 115k we'll pay only 8200.00). Both my wife and I put alot in defferred comp. instead of getting a refund, it makes money. I will owe $1400.00 this year. I used the money and won't pay a penalty.
            Last edited by robivi3; 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM.
            "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
              Looking for Turbotax to start "last second reporting"! I don't get refunds!!! YOWWWW!!!!! My effective Tax rate is very low (on about 115k we'll pay only 8200.00). Both my wife and I put alot in defferred comp. instead of getting a refund, it makes money. I will owe $1400.00 this year. I used the money and won't pay a penalty.

That's nice for you that you can do that. Unfortunately for some of us peanut type folks, that doesn't and won't work. So we take our piddly refunds and are happy if we can keep them.

EP
              California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

I've been using HRBlock online for the past couple years and it's been great. Last year I paid a $29 fee if I remember correctly, but I had a heavily-itemized and slightly complicated return and needed a little advice along the way. I got a refund direct-deposited to my bank account in less than two weeks.

I'm pretty sure I'll use HRBlock online again this year. I have everything already except for my W2, which should be arriving in the mail by mid-week.
                BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

I used to use Turbo tax. Then I found taxact.com a couple years ago.
                  You can do Federal returns and print and efile for free!

You can also do both Federal and State and efile both for $16.95. I used it last year, and actually received an offer to lock in a lower price of $12.95 this year, but missed the Dec deadline.

I love it! Stores your info for the following year as well.

No software to buy.

You can also track your refund. Usually processed and direct deposited into your account within 8-15 days.

K
                  You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Does taxact.com "help" you with prompts, etc and help walk you through it? I will check that out. I'll also check out HR Block online -- I usually have H and R Block do my taxes, but wanted to try something different this year and get my return quicker. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

They do have a lot of helpful information, yes!
                      Check out the website for further info.
                      You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

OK, I checked out the site and it looks good. But, under FAQs, reasoning for the efiling to be rejected, states that the AGI from 2006 must match --- is this particular to taxcuts.com, or what? Why would AGI have to match from 2006 to 2007?

Comment

What it actually states is this:

The previous years Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) amount entered for the Taxpayer or Spouse does not match with the IRS records. You may review your entries and resubmit your return at no charge by repeating Step 6 (Filing).
                          The most common error is that you are entering your AGI for the CURRENT YEAR instead of LAST YEAR. Adjusted Gross Income is the amount from LAST YEAR's 1040. Also, if you filed a joint return last year, the Adjusted Gross Income entry for both spouses would be the same amount, but, must be entered for each.

What they are saying is that if the amount you enter for previous year (2006) does not match the IRS records (for 2006) it will cause this error.

No, your 2007 AGI does not have to equal 2006. What they are saying is that a common cause of this error is someone entering the amount for the current year instead of the 2006 year when asked that question.

K

Comment

OK, so this is specific to filiers who used taxact in a previous year, or is this common for all efilers no matter what efile system they use?

Comment

I can't speak for other programs, but the way I interpret this, it just means that the figure you enter (in tax act) is checked against the IRS records (e filed or not) for your previous years AGI.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X