Buying an out of state car............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying an out of state car............

Having a really hard time finding a decent beater. I found one in Maryland that I am interested in- we are in Pa. I have googled to get info- but I am confused. If anyone in PA has any knowledge or experience about buying an out of state car I would greatly appreciate your help. The time is ticking until our van is surrendered and I dont want to be stuck with no wheels!!

Also- if by chance the repo man would come before I get another- can I take the plates of the van and then transfer them when I get a new car?
    Filed: 3/12/08
    341 Meeting: 4/11/08
    Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Call up your state's (PA) Motor Vehicles Dept.
    Re: your second question - I doubt it. Each car has different VINs. You cannot just transfer plates from one to another.

Comment

Thanks- I will tomorrow when they open. When you trade in an old car for a new one at a dealership you transfer the plates- wouldnt the same logic apply if I am surrendering the van?
      Filed: 3/12/08
      341 Meeting: 4/11/08
      Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

My4, the difference is that at the dealership, they transfer the title via your local DMV, and *then* swap the plates. Your best bet is to contact the DMV in Pennsylvania to see what the procedure there is to swap the plates once you get the car home; I'm betting that the dealership in Maryland will give you a temporary tag for the vehicle, registered in MD, and you take it wherever you want from there. Good luck!!!
        Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Make sure you check the smog requirements for an out of state vehicle and that it will pass a smog inspection before you buy it. I know here is california there are very strick requirements for cars purchased out of state.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X