Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't fall for this.......

The Scramble for Your Tax Rebate
    Big-box chains are devising crafty ways to coax stimulus checks into their cash registers
    by Jane Porter

Beginning on May 2, more than 130 million Americans will open their mailboxes to find tax rebate checks, ranging from $600 to $1,200 per household. Retailers across the country desperately want a piece of that action in a U.S. economy flirting with recession, and the sales promotions tied to the government cash injection are already coming fast and furious. "We are going to start to see retailers raise the stakes in terms of types of promotions they are going to offer around rebate checks," says Scott Krugman, spokesperson for the National Retail Federation.

Big-box retailers Sears and Kmart, both of which are under earnings pressure, and national grocery chain Kroger (KR) will give customers gift cards in exchange for their entire stimulus check starting in May. To entice shoppers to hand over up to $1,200 in full, the retailers are adding 10% to the rebate total. "Every major retailer that has a gift card could execute this kind of initiative," says Ann Raider, head of retail partnerships for Affinity Solutions, a company that develops retail rewards programs.

Sears Holdings (SHLD), which owns mass retailer Kmart and casual clothier Lands' End, has introduced a stimulus-tied gift-card program that will allow consumers to make purchases across all three retailers. "One of the things we hope it will do is build this customer relationship with Sears," says Maureen A. McGuire, chief marketing officer.

Other retailers are trying to work the customer care angle as well. On Apr. 20, Staples (SPLS) announced an online "Economic Stimulus Center" targeting small business owners, who generate more than half of the company's $19.4 billion in annual sales and will be eligible for tax breaks under the government's stimulus efforts. The chain is offering cash savings on big purchases as well as free advice on how small enterprises can lower their tax bills.

Supermarket Sweep
    Others are promoting the savings and discounts customers can get by spending their money on energy-efficient products. That's particularly true of home improvement retailers that have been hammered by the housing bust. Home Depot (HD) launched a campaign pegged to Earth Day on Apr. 22, providing suggestions to customers on eco-friendly ways to spend their checks. Restoration Hardware (RSTO) offers economic stimulus vouchers that give customers $100 back when they spend $750.

Many are skeptical that promotions will influence consumer decision-making when it comes to spending. "I don't think people are going to take those checks, run into Gap (GPS), and buy another pair of jeans," says Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a retail consulting firm.

Supermarket chains such as Kroger, which sell necessities, will garner the most direct benefit. But retailers with more discretionary items are less likely to influence consumer spending, no matter how enticing their promotions. An estimated $42.9 billion is expected to be injected into the economy through stimulus checks. But with 25% more overdue credit-card bills this year than last and rising food and gas prices, less than half of consumers are expected to spend the extra cash in stores. "For the first time in 10 years, people will start to save out of income rather than [home and stock] appreciation," Davidowitz says. Let the promotional wars begin.

Porter is a reporter with BusinessWeek in New York. Prior to this position, she worked for The Chronicle of Higher Education in Washington, D.C. Porter has a bachelor's degree in English from Brown University.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Brother/Business just wants another piece of us...I really want to be 5 years old again...I don't wanna be an adult anymore.
    Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
    Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Yep, being an adult is not any fun anymore is it????
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Mixed feelings...

I only will get $300; kids out of the nest and paid no Fed tax with my income so low last year. I could see how using the $300 on the gift card and geting $330 buying power would be nice for necessities, but that rebate will barely help me pay my inflated property tax bill in May. House has declined in value, but assessed tax was for last year payable this year. So no extra $$$ for me. Cutting back to basics all around. Wish I lived closer to town so I could walk more. Thought I was too young for those 3 wheel trikes my grandma used in Fla, but if gas goes to $5 per gallon ($4 here by fall for sure) I may swallow my pride and get one. Or borrow my daughter's bright yellow moped she uses to get around her University town. A white helmet with a big yellow daisy on it and I'd be silly but stylish
        August '05 Business failed.
        Spring '06 Found this site, thank heavens
        Chap 7 (no asset) filed 11/10/06; 341:1/31/07
        disharged 2/26; closed 4/17/07

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby'sGirl View Post
          I only will get $300; kids out of the nest and paid no Fed tax with my income so low last year. I could see how using the $300 on the gift card and geting $330 buying power would be nice for necessities, but that rebate will barely help me pay my inflated property tax bill in May. House has declined in value, but assessed tax was for last year payable this year. So no extra $$$ for me. Cutting back to basics all around. Wish I lived closer to town so I could walk more. Thought I was too young for those 3 wheel trikes my grandma used in Fla, but if gas goes to $5 per gallon ($4 here by fall for sure) I may swallow my pride and get one. Or borrow my daughter's bright yellow moped she uses to get around her University town. A white helmet with a big yellow daisy on it and I'd be silly but stylish
          Don't feel silly, I'm going to start taking the bus to work and save $90/mo in gas costs...
          Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
          Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
            Don't feel silly, I'm going to start taking the bus to work and save $90/mo in gas costs...
            Don't know where you live, but out here in Los Angeles, the bus is not really any cheaper than a car!

I took it recently just to see how it was, and I found it :
            unreliable, slow, over-priced and distasteful.

Maybe slightly cheaper than a car, but not enough so to warrant putting up with smelly homeless people, lunatics, noisy teenagers, and gang members...oh yean, and rude bus drivers.
            <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
            FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Pakettle, we are neighbors! I tried the redline bus a few years a back and it just took me forever to get to work. And sometimes I had to stand most of the way.

We were thinking about moving a few months back to buy a house. We were looking in Rancho Cucamonga and Palmdale. Both would have required a metro ride. There is a station right outside my work, but even the metro ticket is 280.00 per month!!!!! I am better off just staying where I am and driving the 19 miles to work (which takes over an hour!)
              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby'sGirl View Post

I like the idea of a white helmet (well pink would be better really) with a big yellow daisy.

ep
                California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by PaKettle View Post
                  Don't know where you live, but out here in Los Angeles, the bus is not really any cheaper than a car!

I took it recently just to see how it was, and I found it :
                  unreliable, slow, over-priced and distasteful.

Maybe slightly cheaper than a car, but not enough so to warrant putting up with smelly homeless people, lunatics, noisy teenagers, and gang members...oh yean, and rude bus drivers.

Buses are no longer an option for those of us in the L.A area. Not only are they nasty, but they just aren't practical. And at night, they are downright dangerous.

I couldn't take the bus even if I wanted to so it's a good thing I don't want to. My job requires me to go to all sorts of locations and there ain't no bus that's going to get me to Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, Orange County, and even Palmdale, etc.

Anyone who thinks that mass transportation will EVER work in southern California is out of their freakin' mind.

ep
                  California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

I plan to put mine in the bank for a rainy day. , maybe buy a few extra groceries in case.
                    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Taking a little of that rebate and stocking up on canned goods and dry goods (with the rising prices) is a good idea. These are things that won't ruin in storage. You never know what the future brings.
                      Also putting a little cash back for a rainy day in the future is a good idea too.
                      Make that rebate "work" for you...... don't waste it folks.
                      Do household repairs, auto repairs, things that NEED to be fixed or done.

When you think "vacation"..............think how much that gas is going to cost just to get away for a few days. Is it really worth it?? That RV sitting in the drive (or the one you rent) is going to cost a "bundle" to fill up each time you stop... and your only going to get 8-10 miles per gallon. Not going to travel far on a tank of gas....

Uncle Sam wants you to spend, spend, spend..... but spend it wisely......

My thoughts
                      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
                        Buses are no longer an option for those of us in the L.A area. Not only are they nasty, but they just aren't practical. And at night, they are downright dangerous.

I couldn't take the bus even if I wanted to so it's a good thing I don't want to. My job requires me to go to all sorts of locations and there ain't no bus that's going to get me to Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, Orange County, and even Palmdale, etc.

Anyone who thinks that mass transportation will EVER work in southern California is out of their freakin' mind.

ep
                        I'll agree too. My husband considered it but changed his mind very quickly.
                        Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
                        Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

We probably won't have the option of using our stimulus check for anything practical, like a little savings, stocking up on food--don't forget non-food items like, soaps and toilet paper, etc.--very likely the Trustee is going to scoff ours up...
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Ours is going to dental work, if we get to keep it. Yipee.
                            Filed 4-21-2008
                            7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X