Feeling kinda uneasy...lost job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling kinda uneasy...lost job

Is it better to quit or to be slowly dragged to the guillitine by your employer?

I chose the former option. I figure they were heading me down a one way street anyway.

Either way, it sucks and I'm feeling uneasy about job prospects in this crappy economy.

Friends say you should quit before you get fired because it mars your record.

On top of that, employer is screwing me out of $1000 worth of paid time off because I "didn't work there for more than a year". Man that hurts!

*sigh* thanks for reading my vent.

Oh yes, employer wouldn't let me pack up my own things. Who ever packed my things, stole a Kohl's gift card that a customer gave to me. And they kept things that I made that I never got reimbursed for. So I do believe those things are "mine". They went through all my stuff and took out notes with customer's personal phone numbers!

Comment

Job loss is tough under any circumstance; quitting, layoff, fired... It is always best before quitting a job to have another job lined up before hand but we know we don't live in a perfect world. You lost your sick/vacation accumulated time due to company policy. Lots of places have certain time limits in effect before you receive certain benefits from working there (i.e., medical/dental coverage, can join their 401(k), etc.) so you really can't say you were screwed out of that money since it is probably right there in your employee handbook but I know it still hurts not being able to have those funds.

Once you quit a job you are no longer authorized to be on their premises so that is why you were not allowed to pack your stuff. Some places are a bit more lenient and allow you to do that but many places are afraid of disgruntled employees taking things that are not theirs so they have other staff or security personnel pack up the ex-employees items. Since you left personal items in your office (employer's) desk, you don't have a leg to stand on as to your missing items. If you were fired, you probably would have had a security person there at that time, provided by your employer, to watch you as you packed your items.

If anyone reads this and is the process of thinking about quitting a job or believe they will be subject to a layoff or firing, start taking your stuff home ahead of time and clean off any personal stuff on your office computer. Twuoo's situatoin is a perfect example of what can happen.

Twuoo, best of luck to you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Another thing to consider before quitting is when is the cancellation date on your health insurance policy upon termination, which depends on how the employer has it set up. After I'd quit my job at the end of the month I found out that if I'd only waited another day (until the 1st of month to quit) that I would have had insurance coverage longer because my health insurance was good until the end of the month that employment in which the employment terminated. Whoops!
        04/04/08- Notice of deficiency balance due from a repo. 04/18/08- Fico scores w/repo listed: EXP 624, TRAN 610, EQU 610. 04/19/08- Found this forum. 04/24/08- Retained attorney for a chapter 7, filing singly. 5/5/08- Turned in bk paperwork to atty. 5/27/08- Date set for reviewing paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
          Is it better to quit or to be slowly dragged to the guillitine by your employer?

I chose the former option. I figure they were heading me down a one way street anyway.

Either way, it sucks and I'm feeling uneasy about job prospects in this crappy economy.

Friends say you should quit before you get fired because it mars your record.

On top of that, employer is screwing me out of $1000 worth of paid time off because I "didn't work there for more than a year". Man that hurts!

*sigh* thanks for reading my vent.
          That really sucks. Sorry to hear it, and I can only hope that you do find another - better! - job, soon!

The one silver lining in this dark cloud may be that by firing you or laying you off, you are now eligible for Unemployment Compensation. Whereas, if you quit, you do not get it.

Good luck in finding another job quickly!
          <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
          FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Wow...it hasn't even been a week and I've already had 7 calls and several interviews already.

I have so many choices, I'll get to pick and choose exactly what I want

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
              Wow...it hasn't even been a week and I've already had 7 calls and several interviews already.

I have so many choices, I'll get to pick and choose exactly what I want
              It's either feast or famine - that's the way life is...! Did you receive any offers or just had interviews?

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I actually got an offer and start on Friday. Tomorrow, I'm going on 3 more interviews. Tuesday, got an interview. One of the places offer $10,000 sign on bonus. Boy, could SURE use that...lol

Comment

I'm in a similar spot. The people at work are so Desperate, they have realised that they can make money from "Punishing" employees randomly (day off without pay) for things that they never punished for before. They already pay me at serf wages-- 10,000 dollars lower than average poor per year. I'm on vacation this week and will be searching for a new job. (I'm spending money on a good haircut nd some new clothes too). I was worried about how it would fly since I am going through a BK and have not even paid the lawyer yet. The thing that pisses me off REALLY is that I have worked there for 10 years and I have absolutely no job security, no seniority, no possibility of moving up or sideways. They won't move me from nights because they don't want to take the time to look for another employee who will work from 5pm to 3 am, no weekends, no holidays, with no shift differential, no sick pay, no back up employees, snowstorms and so on...This place is HORRIBLE as an employer and I would like to shout it out to the world! The managers are idiots! When I leave it will be with as little notice as possible. I want them to suffer. I hate their guts.
                  Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Well if I was going to quit I of course would have cleaned out my personal belongings before I told them .

It is good that you have so many offers twuoo, sometimes losing one job can lead to better things .

Good Luck in your search as well one half full.
                    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I say quit while your ahead. On my last job this manager would not let up. After being with the company 8 years having gone through a new mgr every year, this one mgr just would not leave me alone. He even got as far as putting me on a 30 day probation for a ridiculous reason. He was really looking to oust me. Oh, I caught on pretty quick so I did my own damage to his reputation before I left FOR SURE. I had it all planned out. I even made sure to take my vacation (a week) and when I came back I put my 2 weeks in. Luckily in the whole process I had another job lined up!

What I hated the most he use to be "below me." So now I'm more cautious of how I converse with co-workers, you never know when they rise above you!

Good Luck to you! Catchmeifyoucan
                      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

My quitting was untimely. I wasn't looking to quit.

But I got a call saying they were going to put me on suspension for a mistake, I figure they were just stringing me along. I knowwho exactly it was that narked on me too

Oh well, life lessons learned. I do admit that I was a little brash in my decision.

But as I'm exploring new job opportunities now, I realize there's ALOT more out there for me.

I hear friends say "when one door closes, another one opens".

So I am glad for that. Because I'm in the medical field, I'll always have job opportunities.

Comment

that was exactly what I was going to post twuoo -when you close one door, others open up. I'm so glad that you are finding other & better opportunities. Yes, bad economy, but not impossible. I wish the best for you.
                          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                          341 July 1, 2008
                          Discharged September 4, 2008
                          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Well, within 2 weeks, I got 5 job offers. I'll decide by today or Monday who I'm going to go with.

In this economy, it sure is reassuring that people are banging on MY door, versus me banging down on their doors!

For one of the offers, I'll even get a 40% raise over the last job I quit.

Actually, just about all the offers coming in I'll be getting a raise.

Comment

That's great twuoo I wish you the very best in this new change
                              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X