No announcement yet.

Religion Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit: When we are talking about "founding this country" we are not talking about the original inhabitants of the land. Shoot, for all we know, your "native Americans" could very well have done just exactly what you point out that the settlers of this country did in taking over the land when THEY settled it. When we talk about "founding this country" we are talking about founding the government structure under which we live - and 1773 is a good starting point for that discussion.

Comment

and 1773 is a good starting point for that discussion.
      I understand but prefer to stay with the facts & not for what we dont know, considering it was christians who also tried to destroy the very history of many others. I also understand that no one (very few) can ever face up to the other facts of history prior trying to blame everyone else and as if others never existed, glorifying those supposed christians who destroy millions of human lives for government. as that is exactly what they ran away from.

Knowing what happened along the way is very viable information. I do not view 1773 or 1776 as the 'founding' of America as I have native american indian blood in me & have relatives the same & friends who are pure blood natives.

speaking of the founders of government & comparing them to today ...& now that the constitution has been thrown out the window by those with christian beliefs & they do whatever they wish, we will just blame those who are not christians for all the problems along the way. Right?

Hardly laudable.

Comment

I look at religion and all violence that comes along with it.. How many people have died in the name of God? Christians during the time of the crusades killed thousands of Jews and Moslems to retake the Holy Land.. The Spanish killed thousands while colonizing the New World and spreading the word of god.. Islam tried twice but failed to conquer Europe to spread the word of Mohammed.. The religion that we have today was spread by the Sword (conquest)..

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post
          I look at religion and all violence that comes along with it.. How many people have died in the name of God? Christians during the time of the crusades killed thousands of Jews and Moslems to retake the Holy Land.. The Spanish killed thousands while colonizing the New World and spreading the word of god.. Islam tried twice but failed to conquer Europe to spread the word of Mohammed.. The religion that we have today was spread by the Sword (conquest)..
          Christians in genreral dont like to go back in their history and see how they killed in the name of Jesus. They like to think they are sqeaky clean
          "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post

Thank You, Scott50..for some reason too many of them cannot face up & seem to think people actually chose it while history (including the last 100 years) proves it was a slaughter house, hardly what the jesus & 12 apostles were like in the story. but then again I would have to include those of the communistic beliefs as being just as mean & brutal with a political agenda, leaving little to be desired after the blood is spilled.

Originally posted by bmrigs View Post
            Christians in genreral dont like to go back in their history and see how they killed in the name of Jesus. They like to think they are sqeaky clean
            and then all will see that it has caused tons more harm & destruction to the earth than the tiny ounce of charity that came from it.

Comment

Scott You may find the books by Karen Armstrong interesting reading.
              CH 13 OLD LAW
              10/14/05
              Closed completed
              Final accounting 04/2009

Comment

Seems as this topic has died! I just wanted to comment on how refreshing it is to see so many open minded people posting here. I didn't grow up involved with religion, and today I happily proclaim myself as an Agnostic. The only annoying aspect is my parents a few years ago become highly religious and try to convert me any chance they can get. They didn't spend one second of their lives thinking about christianity until my dad decided to cheat on my mom and have a child with his secret girlfriend. After years of denial the truth finally came out, my mom refused to divorce him and decided "God" would work out all their problems. Now they are sunday school teachers, host weekly bible readings, and donate tons of time and money to their church. All the while my dad going along with it to get off free from his mistakes. (he still talks to his girlfriend unknowingly to my mother) And my mom just grins and praises the lord for saving them.

Anyways, its very sad to see so many people jumping onboard during times of crisis as a way to cover up their real problems in life. (see deathrow inmates) Which makes me even more proud to not have bought into any religious marketing!

Filed 10/20/08
                Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Originally posted by bmrigs View Post
                  That's because today and the past few hundred years at least, compared to the other radical religions around the world, Christians are "squeaky clean." I am not saying it is a perfect religion by any means, but consider the alternatives. It has spread much more good will than hatred in this world.
                  Hi, I'm new here.

(Link Removed By Moderator)

Comment

A few of the eastern new age religions don't have much negativity attached to them . BTW I'm an athiest though .
                    (Links Removed By Moderator)

Comment

Originally posted by layla17 View Post
                      That's because today and the past few hundred years at least, compared to the other radical religions around the world, Christians are "squeaky clean." I am not saying it is a perfect religion by any means, but consider the alternatives. It has spread much more good will than hatred in this world.

I disagree. iT has caused way more harm than it has helped, in fact people inside their very own churches are so political & backstabbing that they end up splitting into smaller groups monthly. You know what they say about removing the church boards- you will find worms and maggots under neath them.

past few hundred years? I guess you missed the entire catholics kill protestant and exchange that squeaky clean for protestants killing catholics along with the squeaky clean crusades...and what was up with the christians 100 years ago not allowing people with black skin to be Christian? if they are so squeaky clean!..for the past few hundred years.
                      You don't know your history very well to claim the past FEW HUNDRED YEARS (at least) as squeaky clean. I will give you the radical claim as I see no difference between the christian radicals, muslim radicals & jewish radicals of today. They LOVE to kill & bring harm to others- so in that sense they are squeaky clean.

Comment

No religion on earth is full of more hypocrites then Christianity.

If anyone wants a good place to hang out and read up on all the worlds religions this site is great.

Filed 10/20/08
                        Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Ive thought about religion alot over the years and was very anti for a while.
                          My views have changed very much since those days as I believe that a higher power has blessed me with my wife and children. I am not a Holy roller or anything like that but have faith now.
                          As a child I was brought up babtist.
                          I always wondered how you could be sure your religion was the correct one with so may different variations of them and they all say they are the only one that counts. Mostly people are what there parents were religion wise and are brought up that way but I always found it hard to beleive you would be punished if you just happened to be wrong but your heart is in the right place.
                          My thoughts on it is religions for the most part are like spokes in a big wheel and all the spokes connect in the center and as long as you are trying to get to the right place you cant go wrong with that.
                          I may "burn in hell" for thinking that way but its a chance i'm willing to take!

Comment

Well, personally speaking from a view of now (With some good bible teachers) it's more likely that all the "Crimes" associated with "Religion" that it's mainly due to those who lead such abuses in the way they interperted the scriptures.

When it comes to the brass tacks, we can look back and see "why" they did what they did, but we can also see that they weren't "Following" the teachings laid out.

In regards to hypocrisy of religion, yes there's always going to be those who say one thing and do another. Looking only at "Notable" events, you'd see alot of destruction done in the name of "Religion" but they overshadow the good works done by the "Silent Majority" of believers who have gone that extra mile to help another.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why isn't St. Peter's square shaped like a square?

Comment

Just as the Republican party was in the past, is at present and will forever be in the future the party of the rich and powerful, religion has more to do with power and money than it does with a Deity. - jb
                                jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
                                Filed - 2/27/09
                                341 - 4/3/09
                                Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X