Have you ever stumbled into another debt/credit/BK forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever stumbled into another debt/credit/BK forum

...and read a few posts, and the "advice" that was being given to people just made your head SPIN?!?!?!

I was doing some research, and came across a "free legal advice" board that had a "bankruptcy and consumer credit" forum, and a child forum "debt collections."

Cripes, there was one guy who posted that he was being hounded by a debt collector for a debt from 1999, that the alleged debtor doesn't even remember. When he asked for proof, the DC refused.

The "advice" given? "Pay it or send a C&D letter, no one gets proof like that."

That advice came from a professional debt collector, so it may be just a little bit biased. Same guy also told a woman who had become homeless and yet was continuing to pay on her credit card bill, that she should have paid the Visa rather than used the money for shelter (in near freezing / winter conditions, no less).

In another thread a poster described an unfortunate situation, and a semi-new member replied "I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes, sadly this is all legit." It was clear *to me* the guy was empathizing with the OP plight. A senior member replied with
    "You think it's sad that folks need to pay their bills? Oh. Brother."

Another thread a guy asked what I saw as a perfectly legitimate question, detailed his situation, and asked "What do you think I should do?" He got back "I think you should pay your debts." My, now isn't THAT helpful...

And still another, a guy owns a used car lot, sold a car where he got $6k cash, and $12k was financed. The buyer brought car back after 60 days (it's not right, but it happens). The care dealer went to court, obtained a judgment, but couldn't collect because the buyer is retired military.

The same professional debt collector "senior member" told him it was "time to get creative." He suggested getting a 6 foot billboard sign, attaching it to the back of a truck, and parking in front of the guy's house.

I gotta wonder how many times that "professional debt collector" has been sued for his own conduct, if this is what he advocates.

I'm just...ya know, I thought I'd seen/hear/read everything. Guess not. My head is still spinning. I feel sorry for anyone not Internet sauuvy enough to search for other forums, and for anyone who accepts those answers as the "end all, be all."

I don't want to be bashing another forum (which is why I didn't post any links), but I tell you...it's like I fell into the twilight zone of debt/credit forums.

I know of what you speak as I stumbled across a few BK forums before I found this one.

I often do searches for other things too, like how to fix a refrigerator, why my cat likes to chew cords, etc..and there is stupid advice given on every subject on every forum, including this one sometimes.

You have to be really careful on the net as far as what information you consider but we are all so lucky to have found this forum, where the advice, for the most part, is great.

When the advice is just blatantly wrong and potentially harmful, the experts step in and correct it.

This forum is da bomb!

ep
    California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
      I often do searches for other things too, like how to fix a refrigerator, why my cat likes to chew cords, etc..and there is stupid advice given on every subject on every forum, including this one sometimes.

You have to be really careful on the net as far as what information you consider but we are all so lucky to have found this forum, where the advice, for the most part, is great.
      True, true...and it's what I always tell my clients when they come across some hair-brained site on Google. I guess it just blew me away the advice was sooooo "out there." Like the twilight zone of bankruptcy forums!

So...why *do* cats chew on cords?

Comment

Primarily boredom.....
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

You don't want to become part of an unmonitored forum. You are just asking for trouble. Unfortunately, someone new to forums or the internet looking for information has no idea until they post something and get bashed by the head lurking troll. Nothing like getting called stupid and dumb when you first post in a forum...or be given the wrong advice on purpose.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by No Gravy View Post
            True, true...and it's what I always tell my clients when they come across some hair-brained site on Google. I guess it just blew me away the advice was sooooo "out there." Like the twilight zone of bankruptcy forums!

Last edited by Keebler; 09-07-2008, 09:25 AM.
            Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                You don't want to become part of an unmonitored forum. You are just asking for trouble. Unfortunately, someone new to forums or the internet looking for information has no idea until they post something and get bashed by the head lurking troll. Nothing like getting called stupid and dumb when you first post in a forum...or be given the wrong advice on purpose.
                That's the thing...the comments I posted above were from mods and/or "senior members" of that forum. That's what made my head spin (aside from what they were saying).

I've run into plenty of foreclosure forums that were nothing but a sham to further the forum owner's agenda and business, but I've never seen s BK/credit/debt forum whose sole purpose seemed to be to taunt people when they're already at one of the lowest points in their life.

Comment

OMG, I *love* it! I have to send that to my Doctor

Comment

I have been on that forum too. Those people are down right mean!

Comment

Haha! Google is going to take over the world!

(CountryGirl logs out with a concerned look on her face.)
                      Filed: 7-4-2008
                      341: 7-31-2008

Is it me or do we all still seem to be hanging out in the hall at high school? Grow Up!

Comment

Originally posted by Marymom View Post
                        I have been on that forum too. Those people are down right mean!
                        *nods in agreement*

I'm still in shock over some of the things that were said there....

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
                          Haha! Google is going to take over the world!

(CountryGirl logs out with a concerned look on her face.)
                          Hahahahaha! Oh honey...Google HAS taken over the world!
                          Resistance is futile!

Comment

lucky me, bkforum was the first one i found - never looked any further!
                            Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                            (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

It's an odd condition called PICA. (yes, I did find this info on the net) It's kinda like how some kids like to eat lead.

They don't know why but it is more prominent in siamese cats and my cat is part siamese.

It was driving me nuts. He would chew through phone cords, mouse cords, lamp cords...it got to the point where I had to hide everything before I left the house.

But what is odd, is that he stopped doing it about a year ago....about the time that I switched cat food so I am now wondering if there was something in his diet he was lacking.

Anyway, he's a plastic ho. He loves all things plastic. I came home one day and he had helped himself to a bag of sponges..opened em up and had em all over the floor. My other cat got near him and he growled! My cats never growl. But he was gonna make damn sure no one else got near those plastic sponges!

Now, if I could only figure out what's wrong with my fridge. Sigh...
                              ep
                              California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X