Bring Me Back To Earth - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring Me Back To Earth - Please

For my entire 39 years on this earth - I've never needed a GPS system. I knew people could buy them pre-installed in their cars but had no idea there were portables. I've just always relied on directions or mapquest.

Then last week a few people mentioned it to me (this has to do with my new part-time job where I will have to do some traveling).....and boom - all of a sudden I am OBSESSED. Damn them!

I should be studying but instead I'm online comparing prices of Garmins at compusa, compuplus, circuit city, and a myriad of other retailers.

Please bring me back to earth. I've lived all these yrs without one. What in the hec am I doing?
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
    341 July 1, 2008
    Discharged September 4, 2008
    Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

lol, new toys are fun.

oh wait, come back to earth, it is not something you really NEED. How was that?

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
      For my entire 39 years on this earth - I've never needed a GPS system. I knew people could buy them pre-installed in their cars but had no idea there were portables. I've just always relied on directions or mapquest.

Then last week a few people mentioned it to me (this has to do with my new part-time job where I will have to do some traveling).....and boom - all of a sudden I am OBSESSED. Damn them!

I should be studying but instead I'm online comparing prices of Garmins at compusa, compuplus, circuit city, and a myriad of other retailers.

Please bring me back to earth. I've lived all these yrs without one. What in the hec am I doing?
      Do you really, really need it??? Just remember you have to buy the maps that go with it don't you? DH bought a gps for the fire dept, not realizing you needed to buy the maps separate. Ended up not being able to use it until the maps were bought, and the grant money he used for it didn't cover the maps, just the unit.
      Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
      Plan approved- 7/11/05
      Date discharged--10-12-2007
      Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

We bought a miowalker 230 for about $130.00 several months ago at Radioshack. The maps are so-so, and better quality-higher-end units go for about $500.00. Check with 'Consumer Reports' and / or Clark Howard's site.

Now, let me ask you this: do you absolutley NEED this thing? After all, have you NOT negotiated yourself around by using a printed map before this?

This is one of those things that you have to decide for yourself and your wallet: is it a TRUE NEED? Or is is a WANT?

If it is a WANT, and all other NEEDS are met FIRST--including an emergency fund--then go get one after wisely shopping.

Good luck to you.
        Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-11-2008, 04:22 PM.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          We bought a miowalker 230 for about $130.00 several months ago at Radioshack. The maps are so-so, and better quality-higher-end units go for about $500.00. Check with 'Consumer Reports' and / or Clark Howard's site.

Now, let me ask you this: do you absolutley NEED this thing? After all, have you NOT negotiated yourself around by using a printed map before this?

This is one of those things that you have to decide for yourself and your wallet: is it a TRUE NEED? Or is is a WANT?

If it is a WANT, and all other NEEDS are met FIRST--including an emergency fund--then go get one after wisely shopping.

Good luck to you.
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I have a tom tom for my car and I love it. It has stopped all the arguing in the car when I get the oh you have to get off here and I'm doing 70 in the left hand lane. It warns you 2 mile ahead of a turn. I can not say I haven’t gotten lost with it. Some small towns don’t have up to date maps. But when you do get lost it will get you back to where you started.
            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
            341 09/17/2008
            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Most portable GPS units these days come with pre-installed maps. Some have map updates included, some do not.

Here's how Consumer Reports suggests evaluating the different GPS units:

HOW TO CHOOSE

None of the navigation systems we've tested is perfect. They don't substitute for local knowledge, and all databases had minor errors. But a portable system will usually get you there, guiding you on the way and providing you with peace of mind when you are traveling to unfamiliar areas. The highest-rated models make it especially easy to enter destinations and they give the most helpful directions.

Navigation is the priority. We recommend focusing first on how well the system works for navigation, using the ratings to prioritize nav features and map database coverage, over entertaining, nonessential extras.

Ease of use. Look for a unit that scored well for entering a destination. Some interfaces are more intuitive than others, and low-scoring units can be awkward, slow, or both.

Built-in battery convenience. Look for a unit with good battery life, especially if you want to use it for walking. While all systems include a plug for your car's 12-volt outlet, a built-in battery leaves you the option to use the power port for another device, such as a cell phone, and it eliminates cord clutter. A battery also enables you to preload a route before you enter the vehicle. Some models are also packaged with a traditional AC plug for in-home use and recharging.

Spoken street names. A system that speaks street names rather than says simply "turn left" can help you negotiate an unfamiliar area and is especially useful in urban driving, where streets can be close together. It is a handy feature that reduces the need to take your eyes off the road to scan the on-screen map.

Avoiding traffic. A system with traffic-information capability can be helpful if you travel a lot in cities that have good traffic-monitoring coverage. Between the map and detour functions, the system can help you route around traffic congestion and alert you to accidents and road construction. But as with traditional radio traffic reports, there are some weaknesses in the nav-system-based services, specifically related to available data and the timeliness of the report. Unless specifically stated that a unit has an internal receiver, many devices need an external receiver or a cell phone to obtain traffic data and most will require a subscription fee for the information. (Typically, only the premium-priced units have a built-in receiver and that is noted on the product pages, accessed through the Ratings chart.)

Modern features. A full-featured model can effectively upgrade an older car with features like Bluetooth hands-free telephone capability, MP3 player, an iPod connection, and an FM transmitter.

Travel gear. If you travel outside the United States, look for a unit that offers maps for navigating overseas. Most will function in the U.S. and Canada, but some models, such as the Garmin 770 and TomTom Go 920t, will also work in Europe and other countries.

Size matters. The more portable the unit, the better-especially if you frequently pack it in a suitcase. Some are no bigger than a wallet and weigh less than 7 ounces, while others are as large as a paperback book and weigh considerably more-two pounds or more.

Mounting. Most models mount to your windshield using a suction cup attached to either a ball-in-socket, rigid, or gooseneck-type arm. We find the rigid arms are better at holding the units in place, especially over bumps. (Note: Windshield mounting is prohibited in California and Minnesota.)

URL: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...607_gpsnav.htm

The two highest rated portable GPS units are the Garmin and TomTom units.

Since I drive a great deal in strange cities for work, I found a reconditioned TomTom One on a supersale at Buy.com and love it! Very portable, easy to use. Works great for what I need.

Happy GPS hunting! Let us know what you finally decide on, ok?
              Last edited by lrprn; 10-11-2008, 05:06 PM.
              I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
              06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
              07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
              10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
              01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
              09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
              06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
              08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
              Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

My car is equipped with a factoary GPS navigation system. It definately worked great whenever I needed it for traveling in unfamiliar areas.
                The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Oh, this was many years ago that he bought it. It was a handheld device, like you would use for hiking or if you were doing search and rescue, not the type that goes in your car. I just remember that after he got all excited about it, it wasn't all that, and he was going to have to buy the street maps separate if he wanted them, but I think it came loaded with the terrain.
                  Funny, that was all he could talk about when he got the grant to order it. After it came in, and he played with it and found out more about it,...... I haven't heard him mention it in a long time. Just like his other toys he has had to have.
                  Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                  Plan approved- 7/11/05
                  Date discharged--10-12-2007
                  Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X