top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody watch the instant movies that Netflix offers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody watch the instant movies that Netflix offers?

I have the netflix mailer dvds. I was debating on whether it would be worth the cost of buying a device to hook up to the tv to watch the instant movies on tv.

Also, is there an easy way to hook up the computer so I can use my tv as a monitor? I have a big plasma screen tv that has an s-video hookup.

But alas, my desktop doesnt have s-video.

Any suggestions?

I purchased an AppleTV last summer. I like it for those days when I don't feel like leaving the house, and the movies run from $0.99 to $4.99 rental and the highest purchase prices is $14.99 with movies under $5, $10 offered daily.

Of course, you can sit there and "purchase" too many movies.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The netflix doesn't charge for the instant movies. You can watch as many as frequently as you want. So for $9/month, it's a pretty good deal.

I did get the netflix on my tv today. I got a dvi to hdmi cable from radio shack for $50. (Kinda steep price though.)

It took a bit of trouble shooting to get it to work.

I still have to figure out how to get the sound on my better speakers. But I did manage to get sound from the computer.

So far, I'm fairly pleased that I got it to work. Now I just need a longer dvi-hdmi cable.

Comment

I bought an Xbox 360 for Christmas. (Don't tell the Trustee... hehehehe)

Anyhow, the movies offered by NetFlix Instant Movies are not great. They are not the current movies out there.

AppleTV is leaps and bounds ahead offering movies as soon as they are released on DVD.

They just don't compare. So, I apologize for brining up AppleTV.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Also, next time you need cables, try monoprice.com for very inexpensive hdmi cables, switches, etc. I didn't pay $50 for the 100' hdmi cable that I used wiring the house we built.
          BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
            The netflix doesn't charge for the instant movies. You can watch as many as frequently as you want. So for $9/month, it's a pretty good deal.

I did get the netflix on my tv today. I got a dvi to hdmi cable from radio shack for $50. (Kinda steep price though.)

It took a bit of trouble shooting to get it to work.

I still have to figure out how to get the sound on my better speakers. But I did manage to get sound from the computer.

So far, I'm fairly pleased that I got it to work. Now I just need a longer dvi-hdmi cable.

I'm not positive but I don't think a DVI-HDMI cable carries sound.

Netflix didn't have enough instant movies for us to justify any expense. We love Netflix though.

Cables are always much cheaper on the internet.
            It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

hdmi carries sound, dvi does not - therefore an hdmi/dvi cable combo would not carry sound - either way, if you use dvi, you can also use an audio cable as well

Example - we ran HDMI cable in the wall to the master bedroom in our house, but our TV only accepted DVI - so, I converted the HDMI to DVI from the wall plate to the TV, and at the source (our DVR was in the head-end), I just connected an audio cable from the DVR to the audio system (we had whole house audio with speakers in the ceiling in the MBR)
              Last edited by Trixie007; 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM.
              BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Netflix is great. Really good value for money and their service is top notch.
                My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  [edit]

Anyhow, the movies offered by NetFlix Instant Movies are not great. They are not the current movies out there.
                  I guess it depends on what movies one likes to watch. I have a list of about 50 Instant Movies that I'd like to see on my Instant Netflix list. The main reason I don't watch more of them is that I hate sitting at my computer to watch a movie. If I could run a cable out to my tv, and my amp, to get the movie on my tv and the sound into my multi-channel speakers, then it would be great to watch free Instant Movies via Netflix.

Thanks to whoever recommended the cable site. I will look into buying a long cable that would go from my computer to my tv (I'd need about 50 feet!)

How do the netflix free flix look on a wide screen (32") tv? Are they real grainy or is the quality pretty good?
                  <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                  FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I got a 42" plasma.

The resolution is "tolerable" at best.

Perhaps one of the dedicated netflix boxes would give better resolution???

I'm not about to drop $100+ on something like that at this point in time. I barely have enough time to watch even 1 movie every two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
                      I got a 42" plasma.

The resolution is "tolerable" at best.

Perhaps one of the dedicated netflix boxes would give better resolution???

I'm not about to drop $100+ on something like that at this point in time. I barely have enough time to watch even 1 movie every two weeks.
                      I'll stick to my AppleTV and FiOS-TV for now.

Comment

If you have XBox Live, it's VERY easy to watch Netflix movies. You don't have to have special cables and all of that. Just add a ton of movies to your online viewing queue! It's really great! It saves so much money!
                        Filed Chapter 7 12/31/08 341 Meeting 2/3/09 No Asset 2/16/09 Discharged 04/08/09 :)

:yahoo: Closed 04/30/09 :yahoo:

Comment

Tivo

We made a big jump last month and dropped cable all together. we spent about $120 on the cable every month. We got a converter box($40) and an HD antenna($25) and are quite content. this is the first time in the 13 years we have been married that we have not had satellite or cable. We go online, for now, and watch any network shows we might miss. We are saving the money that would go to the cable bill for a TiVo box. You can watch Netflix and several others on the Tivo box.

Comment

Originally posted by nervousss View Post
                            If you have XBox Live, it's VERY easy to watch Netflix movies. You don't have to have special cables and all of that. Just add a ton of movies to your online viewing queue! It's really great! It saves so much money!
                            I have the XBOX 360 and Live. The AppleTV is much better, and I canceled my NetFlix membership because the quality of the movies just isn't at the level I demand.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X