Friend gets fired because of Facebook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend gets fired because of Facebook!

Just found out from my husband that a friend of ours who is a doctor was fired due to Facebook! Here's what happened:

Doctor comments on a co-worker's status on Facebook regarding someone else they work with. Doctor is not on duty or at the hospital, but at home. Apparently the co-worker commented that they were not going to have a good time at work that night because "someone" was working, too. Doctor friend says, "Is it _._.?" and names initials only, not a name. Co-worker says yes. Doctor says "Yeah, he's an a**."

Our doctor friend goes in on Monday and his boss calls him into his office, produces a copy of what was said on FB and says, "You're done, you're fired."

Now like I said before, our friend did not name the person or even name the hospital where he works. To me this is such an invasion of privacy! I still can't believe it! I'd advise everyone to get off Facebook and other stupid networking sites - I have!

Thoughts?
    Lying awake at night...
    Waiting to file...
    Roughly $34,000 in credit card debt

I love my facebook...you just need to remember one thing when using anything on the internet.

Do not write down ANYTHING that you couldn't live with EVERYONE knowing.
    over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
    Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

Yeah, you have to be careful on Facebook sometimes.

To protect your privacy on there, you should make sure only your friends can read your wall etc. If you make it public or give access to your network, people you don't know can look at what you say. I have my privacy settings on there set to that only people who are my Friends can see my stuff.

The default privacy settings on there I think are that anyone in your Network can see - which means like if you put down your town as your network anyone else who is in your network can view your wall, status etc. You have to manually go and change those settings for extra privacy. Was that co-worker they talked about on FB and on their friends list? If so, they should have used better judgement. Someone was watching. Who printed the FB thing out?

So, uhmm, yes, I think it is an invasion of privacy but your friend put their comments on the internet and there is always a danger of doing that. You put it out there - it isn't private anymore.

It does seem odd that he only put initials how they can know exactly who he is talking about - you would think it would just be a warning or something. Maybe they were looking for an excuse to fire him for some reason?
      "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
      http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
      1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

My husband won't have people he work with on his facebook. He has one guy at work who even admitted he just likes to spy on people. But then doesn't understand why my husband won't add him. Um, hello. LOL

Comment

My husband won't even have a Facebook page because of stuff like this.
          Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
          DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
          Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
          Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I refuse to have a FaceBook or a MySpace, specifically because I don't want to socialize with some of the folks on there. Additionally, I don't want any issues with my bonding or employer.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yep this is the reason that FaceBook, MySpace etc are really not good tools for folks. If you want to keep in touch with friends just give them a phone call now and then. Putting something in the public domain (ie putting it on the internet) can get you into to much trouble.

I don't have accounts at any of these places.
              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I think it's odd that a doctor would even make such a crass comment publically?

I use FB, but mostly to play games.

I don't go on there to spew alot of blah, blah, blah about much of anything.

Comment

Just bear in mind that there is no expectation of privacy on the 'Net; don't write anything you wouldn't want your spouse/priest/employer to see.

Employers are looking more and more at the likes of Facebook and Myspace to see what their employees are doing; most don't have nefarious intent, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
                  Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values - HH The Dalai Lama
                  Pro Se; filed no asset Ch 7 (including back taxes): 4/09
                  314 Meeting : 6/09
                  Complete Discharge 7/09 with CRFTL 8/09.

Comment

Facebook is leading to ruined families relationship and even lives, there have been so many people that i know that have gone through this! be careful out there!

Comment

Not an invasion of privacy considering it is open to the world to see and read. Knowing this, one obviously needs to be carefully what is said and written....not surprised that he was fired... unfortunate.
                      Filed: April 2009
                      341 Meeting: April 28, 2009
                      Discharge: July 1, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by newbeginning View Post
                        Not an invasion of privacy considering it is open to the world to see and read. Knowing this, one obviously needs to be carefully what is said and written....not surprised that he was fired... unfortunate.
                        Well, I'm surprised he was fired. I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion - even doctors and if you don't like someone, you don't like them. What bothers me is that, and I guess some people missed the point, is that he wasn't at work, he didn't name the hospital where he works so what's with the "thought police"? So what if it's in a public venue, it's still his opinion and what gives the hospital the right to tell him what to think or what to say? So, it's unprofessional. Then give the man a warning for pete's sake, don't call him into the office and fire him.

twuoo said, "I think it's odd that a doctor would even make such a crass comment publically?"

Why is that odd? He's a person, just like the rest of us. I've heard many a doctor make crass comments right to someone's face. And that was to their patient not to a co-worker about another co-worker.
                        Lying awake at night...
                        Waiting to file...

Comment

I found some dirt on my ex LL on Myspace by doing a simple internet search.( I don't have MS or FB, all the info was just sitting there in public view.)

Found his son's Myspace page, he talked about moving into his dad's FC home ( which his dad, my LL had rented to me )and getting some money through a CFK offer. His dad (my LL) tried to evict me even though I was current on the rent and the house was in FC, so his son could get the CFK offer. I printed everything from his MySpace page and brought it before the judge and won my lawsuit based on that and some other factors.

I attacked his lawsuit with legal defenses, but the Myspace info I am sure definitley influenced the judge, since the moron hadn't been paying his mortgage the whole time.

THe judge heavily encouraged the LL to dismiss the case given the circumstances and told him I had recourse to sue him for rent skimming since he had technically purhcased the property from his wife in a divorce proceeding within 12 months of the NOD!

It was a nice day in court that day.

Comment

Well, I was speaking to my husband about it last night, and apparently I misunderstood the story. My husband said our doctor friend did NOT call the person an "a**" on Facebook, but called the person that when he was relaying the story to my husband. So here's exactly, according to my husband, what our friend was fired for:

co-worker on Facebook: "I won't be having fun tonight because 'the One' will be there."

doctor friend replies on Facebook: "Is 'the One' _._.?" (gives initials)

co-worker replies on Facebook: "Yes."

And that is all that took place. How can someone get fired over this? He's apparently not fighting it because he hated the job anyway and he's already got another, but still? WTH? It's just beyond my comprehension I guess.
                            Lying awake at night...
                            Waiting to file...

Comment

If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X