top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable home owners insurance...who's good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable home owners insurance...who's good?

I need to purchase home owners ins.

I have my auto thru aig. So naturally I called them up. When I first signed on aig, they wanted to check my credit rating and based my auto rate on a score of 720.

Well, of course I no longer have that rating.

So when I went to inquire about the home owners, the operator said I'd qualify for discounts by buying both. Takes all my info, even though they have it already and towards the end asks for my permission to pull a credit report.

I said 'you already have all my information.'

The operator insisted they needed it. Without the credit check, nothing more can be done with my application.

So I just hung up.

Can anyone suggest bk friendly companies for insurance? I may very well move my auto too.

Thanks!

Are you an alumni of any college or university or a member of any professional groups? Or groups like AAA? I had my homeowners thru a local insurance agent but got a big discount as an alumni of Hofstra Univeristy.
    over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
    Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

With any homeowners insurance, the best rate will come if you have Auto and HO at the same company.

There really is not such thing as a BK friendly insurance, all you can do is shop around (and don't worry about multiple pulls of your credit, that no longer affects your credit score). When I shopped around, Progressive Insurance gave me pretty good rates. It really depends on where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by Ifonly View Post
        Are you an alumni of any college or university or a member of any professional groups? Or groups like AAA? I had my homeowners thru a local insurance agent but got a big discount as an alumni of Hofstra Univeristy.
        Oh, I didn't know that...hmmmm
        I was thinking of changing insurance companies to save a little $$ after my BK. I was worried too because some companies pull credit reports...
        Thanks for the info!
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I believe most insurance agencys pull credit reports now. The reason being is that they did a study and the lower a person's credit score is the more they turn in claims. I would shop around, get a policy with a high deductible like $1,000 and that will help with the cost. If you do a high deductible you are responsible for the first $1,000 worth of damage so you will really think about turning in claims. Remember a homeowners policy is not for covering house repairs. I used to work at an insurance company and people would call and want to turn in a claim because they burnt their countertops with a pot and wanted them replaced. Or their roof is leaking. Homeowners insurance shouldn't be used that way.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
            (and don't worry about multiple pulls of your credit, that no longer affects your credit score).
            Really?? Wow, I must have missed something in the news!?
            BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

I called Liberty Mutual. The lady gave me a quote of $790. Said if I'd give her my ss#, the rates will got down drastically.

When I did, the rate shot up to $836.

Even if I wanted to buy the insurance now, she won't honor it at the $790 price.

I'm moving on!

So just a word from the wise, don't bother giving out your ss#, even if it doesn't "harm" your credit rating.

That was a waste of 20 cell phone minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
                I called Liberty Mutual. The lady gave me a quote of $790. Said if I'd give her my ss#, the rates will got down drastically.

When I did, the rate shot up to $836.

Even if I wanted to buy the insurance now, she won't honor it at the $790 price.

I'm moving on!

So just a word from the wise, don't bother giving out your ss#, even if it doesn't "harm" your credit rating.

That was a waste of 20 cell phone minutes!
                Nice. (sarcasm )

Where do you live? In FL, we had State Farm, but those losers decided they were going to cancel all homeowners policies here. We went with St. John's and they were half the price of our rip off SF policy. And just to show SF we weren't happy, we yanked our auto insurance as well. We had been policy holders for several years and I really liked our agent, but they need to get a clue about customer service!
                Lying awake at night...
                Waiting to file...
                Roughly $34,000 in credit card debt

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X