Our Gift To Ourselves After Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Gift To Ourselves After Discharge

Recently discharged and with our 40th anniversary coming up in Sept we are going to celebrate by taking a trip back home so to speak.
    I was raised just north of SF (my wife is an AZ native) and we spent a lot of time in the SF and Monterey areas in the many years we lived and worked there. We are now retired and cannot afford CA any longer so we relocated to AZ some years ago.
    We are trying to put money away now for a trip for the grand 40th anniversary and to celebrate our new beginning.
    Just curious though, how did the rest of you celebrate your new freedoms?

Congratulations on 40 years!!!! I'm lucky if I can get through 2 dates with the same person without getting irritated....

I think your trip sounds like a wonderful time and celebration of your happiest times.

For me, haven't planned out any big celebration. I'm trying to put little bits of money aside here and there so one day I can have a big celebration. I'm hoping in a couple of years those little bits add up to enough for a backpacking trip through Europe for my daughter and I. Yes, I do mean a real backpacking trip. I might be a little old and out of place in the hostels but it's something I've always wanted to do.
    12/05/08 - filed pro se
    01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
    04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
    6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Thanks, but she is #2 for me. The first was a reject, no kids, 2 years and out of it! $1 for all time alimony. Not a bad deal!

Comment

Congratulations on 40 years - that is wonderful!

A friend of mine lived in the SF area for several years and still talks about yearning to move back one day. I hope your trip pans out for you...and I'm sure you and the Mrs. will have an amazing time!

~JAG
        Chapter 7 - Pro Se
        Filed: 08/10/09 --- 341 Meeting: 09/08/09
        Last Day for Objections: 11/09/09
        Discharged and Closed: 11/12/09

Comment

Congrats on the 40 years being together.. WoW I hope one day i can say the same thing !! It's been 13 years for my husband and i some days I tell him, it feels more like 13 minutes.... underwater..... needless to say I love my family anyway !!!

Your trip sounds like alot of fun, hope it guys have a great time, Are you going to fly or drive ? After this is all said and done for me, I'm heading to the beach for a few days.. Naples Fla has some really peacefull beaches, I mean when i can walk down the beach and see only 4 people all day! I couldnt' be happier !!
          Filed on 7-17-09
          waiting for 341
          341 meeting 8-21-09
          discharged/ case closed 12/23/2009

Comment

Can't afford to fly. We will be lucky to save enough for this trip so short after it's all over with the BK.
            But the car is newer and gets 38-41 on the road (2008 Toyota Corolla with a 5 speed) and it's in nice shape and still under warranty so we don't have to worry about problems on the road anyway.
            The wife is now saying she is thinking she would like to cancel what we have planned and just go to Disneyland. And she calls me the big over aged kid. Sure I am. I don't care, it's a shorter trip and less expensive but I will leave it up to her.
            Oh well, that's how I stayed married to this one for 40 years~we tolerate each other well.

Comment

CONGRADS---40 years is a long time to say Sweetheart and Darling to the same spouse these days. Lots don't last 5 years, some less than 10 or 15 or until the kids are grown.

Just take a moment and think about how "empty" your life would be without your partner in life if some happened.

Besides, would anyone else "put up with you" like this spouse has, this long???

Something to think about!

Have a great trip - Disney is for all ages...... even us older "kids"......
              Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Yes even at our age we wonder what we will do when the time comes that one of us passes on.
                We are too set in our ways to train anyone else.

Comment

Congrats on 40 years!!! That's quite the accomplishment these days.

As for a celebration, we're taking a mini-vacation in October after we're discharged. We haven't been on a vacation since way before my 6yr old daughter was born. It's nothing fancy, we'll be driving 8+ hours to stay with my friend who lives outside Chicago for 3 days. We'll be staying with her & her family so we only need gas & food money. Just wanted something to 'get away' for a few days, do some sightseeing, and relax. Can't wait!
                  07/10/09 Filed Chapter 7
                  08/10/09 341
                  10/16/09 Discharged
                  02/01/10 Closed

Comment

Yes I think after the stress we have all been through that you need to get out and do something different than the daily routine.

Comment

Congratulations to you both on 40 years!! That's quite an accomplishment these days, and it's beautiful.

Disney is for all ages but personally I am in love with the northern CA area -- Monterrey, Carmel, the Napa Valley/wine country area. It's one of my most favorite areas in the country.

As for what did I do to "celebrate" my discharge? I started saving money in four ways: Emergency fund (done), money towards purchase of a condo (done) deferred compensation plan contributions (ongoing on a regular basis) AND a vacation fund!! After 2 1/2 years of saving for a "real" vacation, we were able to revisit some of our favorite places in Europe for two whole weeks. We're now planning a one-week Caribbean cruise in October. It's so nice to be able to plan and go on vacation again with money you've saved for it.

Congratulations again!
                      BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Very familiar with the area. I was born and raised in Vallejo and spent most of my life there with the exception of 6 years in the Army until I was forced into early retirement when the sub base I worked at there announced closure.
                        But retirement $ would not allow us to stay and my wife needed a job on the closure to to WA and then AZ we went with her job.
                        That's OK she is back home now (somewhat) as she was born in Tombstone and is a native.

Comment

Congrats to both of you! 40 years is a great achievement!!
                          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I'm glad to see that you'll be driving ! this was you can go sight seeing along the way.. anytime my family and i travel, i prefer to drive. disneyland eh ? I live about 30 mins away from Disneyworld !! I even have a family member who works there so we can get in for free ! My kids just love it, I gotta admit i love it too.. great way to just get away for the day and have some fun without spending a whole lot
                            Filed on 7-17-09
                            waiting for 341
                            341 meeting 8-21-09

Comment

hey Ken... Did you and your wife decide yet on going to disney ? keep us posted
                              Filed on 7-17-09
                              waiting for 341
                              341 meeting 8-21-09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X