Well, this is just great...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is just great...

After drawing unemployment for six months, I finally landed a job with a small company. I was told that I would be given about two weeks of training and I couldn't beg my supervisor to train me (if he was even in his office, which was rare). So I had to rely on my busy co-workers to ask questions about the job.

I finally went to HR and asked nicely if there was any way I could get even a few hours of training on the aspects of the job I was having problems understanding. I said I could come in on weekends, stay late, anything just for a little bit of help and didn't care if it was unpaid.

Three hours later I was terminated. I asked if there was any other solution (this should NOT have been a big deal, I was very close to understanding everything that had to do with the job). No dice. They didn't want to take the time to train me and acted like I was too incompetent to fool with.

I don't think you can draw unemployment or file for an extension after working a month, does anybody know? I'm at wit's end. This was a very sorry way to end what could have been my lifeline during the worst recession I've ever seen. I just can't believe this has happened.
    Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Originally posted by Pizza View Post
    I don't think you can draw unemployment or file for an extension after working a month, does anybody know? I'm at wit's end. This was a very sorry way to end what could have been my lifeline during the worst recession I've ever seen. I just can't believe this has happened.
    I am so sorry to hear this. I had a co-worker who asked for a raise, and was summarily fired that Friday (after they told him they'll let him know in 3 days).

You can draw unemployment if your unemployment account has money in it. It's based on prior quarters of work, not the current quarter. Being fired for incompetence certainly earns you unemployment.

Just file a claim and see what happens. I assume that you worked sometime during the last 5 quarters (prior to this one). So, I'll do the math... did you work anytime in these quarters... Jul-Sep 2008, Oct-Dec 2008, Jan-Mar 2009, and/or Apr-Jun 2009?

I'm thinking since you drew unemployment during Jan-Jun 2009, you probably ate up a bunch of your unemployment fundage. It may not hurt to file a claim anyhow.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If nothing else I would file a complaint against the company for even attempting to have you come in on your own time in a non pay status for anything.
      That is illegal. Your job itself you are pretty much out of luck. These companies could care less about you, just how much money they make for the corporation. I worked for more than a few in retirement so I know.
      You do need to appeal your unemployment however based on what you said here otherwise that benefit may be terminated.
      Paybacks are h*ll after all.

Comment

Sorry to hear Pizza, I'd file for unemployment and make in your statement what you've said above.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Yeah sure. The adjudicator needs to make a determination. I got an extention, got a job, worked for a month, was fired, and got back on unemployment at the same rate -- you may need to wait 6-8 weeks-- just ASK! Tell your story, and get the ball rolling.

Employers are being very casual about eliminating people at this time. Believe me, those people during the great depression were not on the road because they decided they did not want to work. Bosses fire people at a greater rate during financial downswings because they are only interested in the bottom line. I've gotten fired from 2 jobs so far and have been unemployed since June 2008. I am no longer too worried about whether or not I stay at a job. I won't put any penny ante survival job I take during a recessiondepression on my resume. There is nothing that says you have to put every job you have had on a resume, so that part of it does not matter. People do all sorts of weird things to get by. Just get another job and stop feeling sorry for yourself. The people promised you would be trained-- they hired you according to your skills, and the "evidence" you gave them, and frankly, it is their problem if they feel they made the wrong choice.

They sound like total dickturds any way, so don't feel too bad. Just get back on the horse and start riding again.

Comment

I talked to the workforce commission (aka the unemployment people) and it's not likely. Oh, well. Time to batten down the hatches and get to the job searching.
            Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

I hope you can get something Pizza. Good Luck mate.
              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X