Internet: Is it me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet: Is it me?

Is it me or am I seeing snail paced Internet traffic. For the last several days mainly in the morning, the Internet is going snail slow. I'm getting a lot of page not found errors.

I'm not an amateur in these things, but after rebooting everything, routers, modem, all machines, it just goes dead.

I'm trying to download an Internet tool that pings Internet speed from Kim Komandos web, but I can't even get there.

Is anyone else noticing this recently? 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Well we have satellite internet so it's not the fastest anyway. I dream of having DSL one day but so far we live to far out in the sticks for that
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I'm not seeing it. I run PA Server Monitor and ping a nameserver on Verizon/GTE's network. I do get "timeouts" sometimes, but usually they are nothing.

I did have some issues a few weeks ago, but it was my Internet Provider doing "work" on the lines.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by aces67 View Post
        Well we have satellite internet so it's not the fastest anyway. I dream of having DSL one day but so far we live to far out in the sticks for that
        The very fastest you can go, other being directly tied to the backbone, is Microwave. We have a private provider here in town that transmits off the water tower. However during a hurricane one of his towers went down for four months. Next fastest is cable TV. Cable modem. It's draw back is bandwidth if you have many on your local node. DSL is next fastest but you don't have bandwidth problems.

I have cable but I've never seen it this slow in the last two days. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My cable internet is blazing fast.
          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

'Hub... what about FiOS! I have a 20MB/5MB line. I can go to 50MB if I'm willing to pay.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
              My cable internet is blazing fast.
              HHHMMMMmmm: Well, last night, it returned to normal, this morning worse than ever. Perhaps there is a major router out along the usual path? I have never seen it this slow. I have several machine on my network and two routers, a switch and modem and I've reset them all. It isn't me. I was concerned of a cyber attack. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                'Hub... what about FiOS! I have a 20MB/5MB line. I can go to 50MB if I'm willing to pay.
                I've not heard of that service. I've never been unhappy with my current speed until the last three or four days. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  I've not heard of that service. I've never been unhappy with my current speed until the last three or four days. 'Hub
                  FiOS, is Fiber Optic Service. It's from Verizon. It's fiber "to the premises", or all the way to your home. It has some really high bandwidth capabilities. We'll have to see if the cable providers and Verizon keep leapfrogging each other. At least FiOS is not oversubscribed. Hint, hint.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    FiOS, is Fiber Optic Service. It's from Verizon. It's fiber "to the premises", or all the way to your home. It has some really high bandwidth capabilities. We'll have to see if the cable providers and Verizon keep leapfrogging each other. At least FiOS is not oversubscribed. Hint, hint.
                    I've seen fiber inhouse but did not realize it is being installed in private homes. Makes sense, with almost no attenuation and probably unlimited bandwidth. I don't think I can get it around here. I am sure it is much more expensive. I would not be affected by weather or lightning. 'Hub

Comment

OK, I've decided we have a local problem. I went to this site (safe, recommended by Kim Komando) http://www.speedtest.net/

I am five times slower from here to Jax (50 miles) than I am at any other server. Must be a local switch down. 'Hub

Comment

Yes, I noticed the same errors and slow to rise internet. I have fast speeds with charter dsl too. I have never had this before either...............
                        (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
                        :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

Just make sure you read the fine print regarding Fios stated performance.
                          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                            Just make sure you read the fine print regarding Fios stated performance.
                            I have a business line. I have a SLA. Yes, it's different than residential FiOS.

Comment

I am accessing the Internet 3 different ways, with no problems at all.

Dial-up (at work so boss can't see what I am doing) - no problems, not even that slow.
                              LAN - through work no problems there
                              Home - DSL Extreme - No problems there.

So the issue must be specific to your provider I would think. Perhaps give them a call and see what the deal is. As someone said they may be working on the lines, or perhaps static on the line (ground hogs) could be a problem.
                              8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                              11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X