Christmas dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas dilemma

Didn't know where else to put this, but since this is the "General Talk" thread, figured it was just about the only area I could put it.

A Christmas dilemma, and what might some of you others do given this scenario. I am fortunate that my only child still at home is 17 yo. She is understanding of our financial plight and so far seems to realize that it's likely there will be nothing under the tree for her this year. In fact, we likely won't even put up our tree (store bought, prel-lit, already in it's box). The two adult kids, launched from the home, they too realize, it will be all but a non-existant xmas around here. They are understanding. I can't imagine being in the financial straits we're in and yet having little children that expect Santa to have come and brought toys for them. Fortunately we're past those days.

My dilemma is with my dad. He lives here in town. He and my mother long-since divorced, when I was a kid, many moons ago. He so seems to enjoy coming to my house, anytime he can squeeze an invite out of me. So enjoys my family. He has two other kids, and both, for varying reasons, have been sore disappointments to him. And in his waning years here, he seems to so enjoy being made part of my life, where I can fit it in. Which I don't do enough of, admittedly. My mother is not a dilemma, she's in the same boat I'm in financially. I know there will be no gifts coming from her, thankfully, nor do I buy for her. Same with my in laws.

My dad however, he typically does buy each of us some little item of clothing, but also bestows on each of the kids, usually $100, and me, maybe $500.

I've never been in a position to buy him, for xmas or any other occasion, much of anything that he couldn't of already bought for himself, if he wanted it. In years past, I might've gotten he and his wife tickets for a play or something. Something they really appreciated, since they have lived a very frugal and thrifty life, and never spent money they didn't have to, rarely splurged on anything. All their married lives. This year, I don't even have the money to go buy them so much as a dime store candy dish.

So why don't I tell him? Just be honest?

Well, he is aged. My brother, younger brother, took him to hades and back, financially and emotionally over the last several years as he lost everything, (my brother did), his wife, his kids, (to the state), his home, his job, thru drug abuse/addiction. My father, who has the means, or some semblance thereof to assist, did so, with my brother. I have no idea how many thousands of dollars my dad threw at the problem, but I know it was substantial. Before my father just threw in the towel, and cut my brother off, from financial help as well as emotional support, to salvage his own sanity.

I know the above scenario took a huge toll on my dad's emotional well being. He had to finally just cut ties, and walk away from it all. My brother, fortunately is on the path to being right again, and my dad knows it, but he does still keep a healthy distance from my brother, as the problems persist, the drug abuse/addiction, seems to be in check, thankfully, but the fallout from his wreck of a life, persists, to this day. Thus, my father keeps a healthy distance from my brother's wreck of a life.

What does that have to do with me? Nothing, except that I don't want to be one more arena of "troubles" to his life. No I don't expect him to spend thousands bailing me out of the mess my life is in. It's not his problem, nor will I make it his problem. He is aged, he is retired, and comfortable, from having been very frugal all of his life, and careful with his money. He would no sooner understand $65k in unsecured debt than the man on the moon, and the need to possibly go file BK. That would be such a foreign concept to him. If he didn't have the money to pay for it, he simply didn't buy it, period.

So here's about how it will play out, his wife (my stepmother) will call at some point over the next few weeks, wanting us to get together, that usually means over here, as it's far more convenient for everybody's schedules to come here, than to go to his house (not geographically convenient for all involved). At which time I would have to fess up "well, you guys can certainly come over here, but we haven't even put up a xmas tree here, we've decided to forgo xmas this year, it's all such a big commercial riggamorrow and we decided to get off that track this year". (translation - we are suffering horribly and doing all we can to hang onto our roof over our heads and the power to light this house, forget any extras).

He knows that we are suffering, in this economy. I have told him that much. But I leave out the nitty gritty details. He doesn't need to be burdened with my problems. I purposely don't tell him just how bad it is, and don't care to.

I just don't know what to do. I wish xmas would just come and go and I could sleep thru it. I don't wanna be bothered with it. I can't buy them so much as a box of chocolates. And I know they don't expect me to, and they could go buy their own case of chocolates if they wanted to. But I feel guilty having them come to my house, and give me $$$$$$, when I have nothing to give them, not even so much as a festive spirit. Yet I don't feel the lattitude to share with him just how bad it is for me. That I am close to loosing everything, after a life of working for a living, just trying to be an honest hard-working citizen, who leaned on cc's to get me thru the rough-times and it bit me on the arse. That I borrowed against my home, to buy me more leverage with debt, only to watch the bottom fall out of the real estate market and now find myself upside down in that mtg. All of these, foreign concepts to a man who has been frugal and thrifty to a fault, all of his life. He would not understand, it would be so troubling to him. He's already a *broken* man with regard to the disappointments my brother has dished out. He has a step daughter, who also, for varying reasons has been somewhat of a disappointment.

I just don't want to be another heart break to him. I could have he and his wife over, something they so enjoy, as I said, being made a part of our world over here, if only for a dinner here. I could do that, that's not a problem. But what of the corner where the tree sits, and it's not even up this year. No presents, for anybody. What to say to him. I don't want to tell him "gee dad, it's really so bad for us, I mean really really bad, we may even loose our home, we are doing all we can to keep our lights on and the mtg. paid, and try to keep creditors from suing us, it's that bad".

So what to do, any ideas? And no, I'm not particularly close to him, either. He's not someone that I just drop in on and visit periodically. They divorced long long long ago, and I was raised by my mother, and very close to her, he was a parent in absentia for the most part (busy earning a living, traveling for same, gone a lot, not much interested in those days, in child rearing). So, it's not really a relationship where I would even open up to him and tell him how bad it really is.

What I wish I could do is just skip the whole da*& thing, altogether. Would be such a burden lifted off of me, if they somehow called and said "hey we've decided to just say screw it this year, with all the family stuff, we're heading off to Europe for xmas", or something of that order. That would be such a burden lifted. But that won't happen.

Any ideas? What to do when you are so broke that you don't want to burden others with your problems, but yet you aren't close enough to be open and honest about your world and it's comings and goings. Yet you know that it brings such joy to make them part of your world, if only for a few minutes time. What to do?

Christmas is overrated. If you are broke, let everyone know. What's the big deal? I think christmas is about getting together with, presents are a plus but not necessary. I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to give presents that most people don't need. We live in a materialistic society and I for one am done with it. How did you think people get into the credit card mess? I bet one of the reasons is putting gifts on credit and never pay them off. So take a deep breath tell your whole family they are getting squat for Xmas and call it a day.
    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
      Christmas is overrated. If you are broke, let everyone know. What's the big deal? I think christmas is about getting together with, presents are a plus but not necessary. I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to give presents that most people don't need. We live in a materialistic society and I for one am done with it. How did you think people get into the credit card mess? I bet one of the reasons is putting gifts on credit and never pay them off. So take a deep breath tell your whole family they are getting squat for Xmas and call it a day.
      I agree. Tell them you are broke and enjoy the gift free day with your family.

Comment

areck- first let me say you aren't alone in this hurddle of the year.
        last year my (retired) parents sent all the kids, 5 of us, a group email and in it they said that this year and years now are non gift giving.
        Now that means the $$ buying the gift,
        They want from us is to join them in celebrating the real meaning like go to mass with them if we are able. I would suggest you invite your dad to join you for a spirtiual holiday not tangible holiday. As for the tree go ahead and set it up and remove a bulb from each string so "hum, we're having a lighting problem." The real meanng of the tree isn't gifts.
        I too am finding the holiday hard to deal with.
        That being said my prayers go out to you for you to find peace, love and happiness this holiday season.

Comment

Here is my suggestion

In this senerio I am going to have to assume you are a Christian and have a true belief in Jesus Christ. If you are not a believer then this advice may not apply to you but maybe would for someone else. I would turn on some Christmas music, pour myself a drink (of anything) and start setting up the tree and decorate with what you have. I would then put a Bible under the tree and make a decision you are going to make this the year that the true meaning of Christmas would be your focus this year. When your family called and asked if they could come over I would say absolutly and then inform them this year is dedicated to the true meaning of Christmas. Tell them you are having a dinner and would like everyone to bring a dish and we could celebrate the birth of Jesus and make sure to attend church on Christmas eve. As the holliday approached I would make sure each morning and evening I sould sit by the pretty tree and open the Bible and give thanks for what God has provided and ask Him to change your heart away from the things that are in your life that He wants changed. I would also seriously consider doing something for someone else. Go to a nursing home, volunteer at a shelter, hang lights for an elderly person in your neighborhood. Maybe you could get together with others and sing Christmas carols in your neighborhood.

I know it is not scripture but I do like the Little Drummer Boy "I have no gifts to bring" way of thinking. If your family prys further tell them you no longer feel right borrowing money to buy gifts and am dedicated to getting out of debt and need to make a change. Any reasonable person would respect and admire that. Take comfort in not adding to the materialist part of Christmas which is not of God. Doing something for someone else will probably bring you much joy. This may be one of the best Christmases of your life.

Comment

K- thank you for summing up what I was trying to say above your post.

Comment

You could do something craftwise- maybe make a montage of old pictures and memories.

Paint a rock.

volunteer at a soup kitchen in his name.
              Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Christmas dilemma

Wow. Thanks for all the great responses. I can see this post touched a nerve with a lot of other folks too.

I already climbed off the commercial aspect of the whole Christmas thing in recent years. The last few years have been such a struggle for us. I had gotten to where I just made candy/cookies/cakes for folks. This year, not even that will be possible.

The kids each got a few things under the tree, typically *needed* items, not just wants. No X-box around here (can't afford one), or Ipod's, etc.

In years past, when they were little, oh boy was it crazy, spend spend spend. But not in recent years.

And church is always a big part of our holiday season. Not that we are regular antendees of church. I wish we were. My job requires that I work on Sundays. Our church does a beautiful Christmas eve service that we all, always so enjoy.

I have asked my father on numerous occasions to attend with us, but he always declines. Prefers to attend the church in his neck of the woods. And besides that, my mother and her dh go to the church service with us, and I think that makes him uncomfortable, or maybe his wife (my stepmother). So, I will invite, again this year, and likely be declined.

It's just going to be difficult. It kind of amounts to, .......... it's not bad enough that my whole economic condition is one of dire straits and having to endure that. But I'm also faced with having to kind of buck up and put on a smile and festive spirit in the face of it all, yet .......... be pretty obvious to an old man, that my world is in ruins. When I wouldn't have him know that, if I could prevent it. And it's not because he will come over and there aren't gifts for him. There never have been gifts, of any extravagance. As I said before, the most I ever did was maybe buy tickets to a play. Bake them a cranberry bread and buy a poinsetta plant for them. But this year, there will be nothing, zip, nadda. I don't have it. And so I'm going to have to say something to that effect. And likely when they come over here and see the tree (if we decide to even put one up) it will be empty, and the explanation for that, also, "we are cutting back this year, and decided Christmas was overblown and so ..............".

Oh well, I'll figure it all out somehow. I guess.

Comment

I can totally relate to your situation. My husband lost his job in September. We have yet to receive any unemployment. My income covers the house payment, gas, groceries. Unlike you, we have small children. Praying that the unemployment comes thru before Christmas or we will be in serious trouble (household bills).

Tanya
                  Went into financial rehab 8/30/09
                  Celebrated legal financial sobriety 12/9/09
                  On The Road To Rebuilding
                  5 active accounts in good standing

Comment

areck...think about the reality of your situation...you are broke, insolvent...the holidays are looming and here comes the big guilt cloud hovering over everyone to buy gifts for everyone or they will think less of you...bake your dad some delicious cookies, give him a big hug and thank him for all he's done for you - that would be the best Christmas present ever. Your 17 year old, believe it or not, will go on living without receiving a Christmas gift. Make it up to her later when times are better.

Christmas is about friends and family...you don't have to give gifts to share in love and friendship. Many people have stopped giving gifts due to the economy and also due to the expense. Get over the guilt and stop worrying about pleasing everyone and get your life and finances back in order...that is your main priority and your dad will totally understand.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I think you are overthinking this. Everyone is cutting back and hanging on to their dollars. We too are not giving gifts to each other or anyone else.

Just have him over for dinner and be as honest as possible....that things are tight and just being together is enough for this year. You won't be a disappointment to him but rather a joy for being responsible in rough economic times. He doesn't need to know anymore than you feel comfortable telling.
                      Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                      341 July 1, 2008
                      Discharged September 4, 2008
                      Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tanya0525 View Post
                        I can totally relate to your situation. My husband lost his job in September. We have yet to receive any unemployment. My income covers the house payment, gas, groceries. Unlike you, we have small children. Praying that the unemployment comes thru before Christmas or we will be in serious trouble (household bills).

Tanya

I feel for you. Do you have family that will pitch in and assure that the little ones have some things from Santa?

I was just telling my grown daughter the other night, (she knows there will be no gifts this year and she's okay with that), I wish I did have money this year but only so that I could find a family that has small children, that expect some Santa, and help them out. That would be Christmas enough for me.

My dad did that eons ago. My younger half-brother, who is not his bio son, grown, small little kids of his own. Had been involved in a car accident and was out of work, they were facing eviction from their apartment, no money for xmas. My dad heard of that plight, from me, and sent them an anonymous money order (so the origin wouldn't be known) and put a note on it, "save your home and buy the kiddos some Christmas". To this day my younger brother doesn't know where that came from, and I've never told him.

Comment

Don't worry about others outside your family unit right now. You, as many people, associate Christmas with having to give something physical. We went through 4 years of a Chapter 13 where all 3 of my kids and my stepson didn't get a thing except a card and a hug and believe it or not they still love us! You have the need to reciprocate your father for what he does...unfortunately, no matter what anyone says to you, you yourself are the only person who can decide what to do. Best of luck to you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

You are right, it would be so much easier if they announced they were going on vacation!

Christmas is not, IMO, supposed to be about gifts. But of course everyone else thinks it is! It would be so much easier if everyone didn't feel the pressure. My mother's side of the family decided to draw names this year so each person only has to buy 1 gift instead of something for everyone. Now if only my dad's family and my husband's mom's family and dad's family would do the same, we'd be in business!

We have two small children that DO still believe in Santa and so those are the first things on my list to buy. I bought my son a present that cost no more than $5. I bought a $5 plastic hotwheels case. Then I transferred an RX to Rite Aid and got a free $25 GC for doing so. I used that money to buy hot wheels to fill it. They were on sale 2/$1 on Black Friday. I can't think of a present that would excite him more than a case filled with hotwheels. His sister, I have yet to buy anything for, I'm still looking for a deal.

For the grandparents in our lives, I do lots of photo gifts. I stock up on clearance picture frames/albums throughout the year, and then get in on the free 8x10 deals at Walgreens, CVS, etc. I give them framed photos of their grandchildren, they certainly treasure them and it doesn't cost me much.

I'm glad that your children understand your position this year....but it does not have to be a sad Christmas. I think you should still put up your tree, as long as you already have the ornaments to decorate it and do not have to go out and buy anything. Cook a hot meal and celebrate what you DO have--family and friends--and you do still have that roof over your heads. That's what matters most. Not things wrapped in paper and bows.

Comment

Originally posted by lindsay2181 View Post
                              I used that money to buy hot wheels to fill it. They were on sale 2/$1 on Black Friday.
                              We hit up this deal too....stopped at Rite Aid on Thanksgiving and let my son pick out a few. He has one case that is already full so I need to pick up another one pretty soon.
                              Filed 5/29/09
                              Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X