Just an observation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an observation.

At the grocery store today I noticed that almost everything I "normally" buy was up in price by about 10% from last week. IF it was even available. And a lot of it was not available!

I try to watch the news but....Did I miss something? Did something new happen this past week or past few days to cause such a dramatically noticeably price increase and inventory shortage?

Even our Aldi's has raised the price on eggs and milk!! I thought the price increases were just in our area.

Comment

There was something on the news last night about some produce prices going up because of the harsh winter.

As far as the shortage maybe it is because of spring break, more kids are at home so parents had to stock up.

Comment

Originally posted by nodollarsnomo View Post
        There was something on the news last night about some produce prices going up because of the harsh winter.

As far as the shortage maybe it is because of spring break, more kids are at home so parents had to stock up.
        They had to stock up on Lamb & Rice dog food for the kids???

It wasn't just produce that was marked way up, either, though. It was everything, across the board.

Comment

We also noticed wal-mart has raised all its prices on stuff

Comment

Tigergem, I think it's just the effect of ever more dollars out there chasing the same finite amount of goods and services. It's the inevitable effect of the government printing literally trillions of dollars and putting them into circulation.
            Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

MSbklawyer, I am going to simply accept your explanation, because you are one of the smartest people I know. I don't understand the theory one bit, large scale economics was never ever my forte...but I accept your explanation. Because this economy is just whacked. That much I do "get".

I have to admit, though, I was slightly terror stricken about the lack of inventory on the shelves. It was worse than right after Hurricane Ike when there was a tangible reason. The supply route was interrupted.

Comment

I'm in central Louisiana, and I noticed the same thing this weekend.
                There were many empty spaces on the shelves where they were completely
                out of dozens of things. This was at Walmart.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
                    MSbklawyer . . . because you are one of the smartest people I know.
                    That's pitiful. You really need to get out more. But you sure know how to pet my ego. Where were you when I was single?

I don't understand the theory one bit, large scale economics was never ever my forte...but I accept your explanation. Because this economy is just whacked. That much I do "get".

I have to admit, though, I was slightly terror stricken about the lack of inventory on the shelves. It was worse than right after Hurricane Ike when there was a tangible reason. The supply route was interrupted.
                    I was referring to the price increases, but you know, the lack of inventory may have something to do with tax day coming up. Businesses are taxed on their inventories around this time of year in a lot of states, so they intentionally minimize what they have on hand. I can't think of any other reason for the inventory shortage.
                    Last edited by MSbklawyer; 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM.
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                      That's pitiful. You really need to get out more. But you sure know how to pet my ego. Where were you when I was single?

Where were you when you were single?

I was referring to the price increases, but you know, the lack of inventory may have something to do with tax day coming up. Businesses are taxed on their inventories around this time of year in a lot of states, so they intentionally minimize what they have on hand. I can't think of any other reason for the inventory shortage.
                      ~ See? You just did it again. Smarter than the average bear, you are. Tax time didn't even occur to me. lol.

I get out plenty. What I need, I think, is to get out of this town.

The other day I watched a guy put a coin in a soda machine and get a Pepsi out. He starts whooping and hollering and ran to get more coins. I watched a little while longer while he put in more coins and whooped and hollered when a can popped out. Finally I went over and asked him what the big deal was. "I'm winning!" he shouted.

Comment

That does not make sense..they pay taxes on stuff when they buy
                        it, so why would they pay another tax just for something setting
                        in inventory they already paid taxes on?

Its called a bad economy...
                        layoffs, lost profits

why fill a store with stuff that does not sell? It just
                        costs more money, and why not raise costs on other
                        goods to try to offset the difference.

people are hanging on to their $$ these days...and while
                        doing this, people are not spending as much, so compaines
                        have to re-organize so they can stay in business...

Comment

Business tax is different. Remember they are buying merchandise wholesale to begin with, and the sales tax is not the same as the inventory tax. They do get taxed on inventory they are actually holding. Although I thought those inventory sales were normally held at the end of year. I guess it is true that a business can select it's own fiscal year. Besides, the stuff they were out of was staples, the stuff that would sell, not luxury items. Coffee. Dog food. Paper towels.

Comment

I work for walmart and I hate all the price changes but I have seen my prices go up and my profit stay the same cuz the supplier raised their cost to us. As for the outs I have a ton of warehouse outs which means the supplier is not keeping our warehouse instock. I don't know they are cutting back on staff and getting behind or what.
                            It is also time for resets for spring so it could be associated with that too.
                            Charmedmom

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure everybody can find somebody else down the chain to pass the buck to, or come up with an excuse. Excuses are cheap. Like talk. The truth and the heart of the matter is always so elusive, don't you think?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X