Renting a house in Metro Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting a house in Metro Atlanta

Hello All. I filed for Chapter 13 about 4 yrs ago and was almost done paying it when my mortgage went sky high. No help with my modification (they keep losing my paperwork) and my child support stopped when my ex was first unemployed and then when he got a job, was injured and is now permanetly disabled (he's still waiting on SSI approval) so now my home is in foreclosure.

I have decided to convert to chapter 7 and move, however, I am worried about finding a home to rent. I understand I might need to cough up 1st and last plus a deposit to some places, which I am willing to do and I have been on my job for 10 yrs. Once the Chpt 13 trustee payments stop, I will have a nice size paycheck to more than cover my bills plus a decent amount of rent.

The problem is, everywhere I look that says "no credit check" is in a seedy part of town. I have a child and would like to stay sorta close to my current neighborhood. I've called around to a few apt complexes but they are all being rude and saying they won't consider me. (Which is fine because I'd rather rent a house anyway). Does anyone know of any property mgmt companies that rent homes that are flexiable? Where is the best place to look for private home rentals? I need to move fast before the foreclosure auction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mind being more specific about what you're telling them?....I recently did some checking with larger apt complexes and did not find it too difficult to get a decent reception. None were rude, btw. Part of this is HOW you tell them about your situation and WHEN in the process.

Comment

Check with your attorney as to any referrals. They go through this all the time and many give excellent references for brokers, car dealerships, etc., etc. that work with folks in or out of BK.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I'm in GA. Have you tried ReMax? What part of Atl are you looking at...(you don't have to give me specifics, just north, south, east, west...)

Comment

@ Ryan - I had called two "2nd chance" apts and asked what was needed to qualify. When asked if I had a bankruptcy and if was it discharged, I simply replied no. That's when I was either rejected or told I would need 4-5 months rent upfront.

@ Nervous1 - I'd prefer to stay on the East side, like parts of Gwinnett or the City of Decatur, etc. Someplace where the schools are decent. I will give ReMax a call.. thanks for suggesting them.

@ Flamingo - Good idea. Never thought to ask my attorney. LOL! I will do just that.

I have an appt to see a really cute house in Historic Stone Mountain and I plan on being upfront and honest with the Property Rental Agent. Hey, all she can do is tell me to kick rocks and I will just move on to another place. I have a good feeling about this, because i make more than enough money to pay the rent on this place. So hopefully that and my steady employment will help. Wish me luck!

Comment

The big management companies will be harder to deal with. You need to find a rental where it is a regular, real person. Tell them upfront your credit is terrible. You have a stable job, that is what they will want to see most probably.

We just went through a foreclosure no BK yet, but our credit is horrible. We found a rental just where we wanted with regular owners renting and they accepted us, and they had tons of people look at the house. We were totally upfront.

Keep looking and trying. Don't be discouraged by the "no's" just keep going till you get your yes!

Comment

I agree with Tart. Stay away from the big rental companies. I had to go through this last May. My kids are in one of the most desirable schools in Gwinnett (it's in Dacula.) Finding a rental was hard but not impossible. I ended up talking to a realtor and she helped me find a place and was an advocate for me.

I was able to speak directly with the homeowner. I was totally upfront about the impending bk and the horrible credit as a result of a divorce. I also made sure I told him I had secure income, non-smoker, no pets, etc.

I had to put up first and last months deposit. He also wanted an extra month's rent which would be refunded to me if I paid on time for a year. Piece of cake since I am not the moving type and want stability for the kids.

So short story long, save as much cash as you can. That will be helpful in dealing with the owner. If at all possible, talk to the owner in person. The big companies will just blow you off. Stress that stability for your kids is your top priority. And be careful to make sure that what you are renting isn't in foreclossure or close to it. It happens

Good luck with everything.

Comment

We got lucky, our landlord only wanted a couple hundred more dollars on the last month rent/security deposit. We were dreading it would be the extra month rent thing so we were really relieved! But private party people are much easier to talk with, the management companies are very cold.

Comment

Well, it's a done deal. I got approved the cute little house I applied for last week. The owner didn't even ask for more money down. He was running a special with half off the first month's rent so with that and the deposit, it is super cheap for my move in. I am sooo excited about paying this rent compared to my outrageous mortgage, hoa's etc. I can see a light at the end of the tunnell in regards to my finances getting straight and it is a GOOD feeling. Now I just have to get through this 341 meeting and I will really be almost home free. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X