How to stop a wage garnishment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stop a wage garnishment?

Hi all. Does anyone know how to stop wage garnishment or know how it works? I live in Florida. My husband and I work for the same company. Yesterday our HR department was notified by Bank of America that they want to garnish wages. It was from a joint account we had that was placed in "Judgement". We provide BOA our financial status via mail months ago and now this is where we stand.

Can they garnish both our wages? What is the % they can take out by law in Florida? Is there anyway we can prevent this from happening by perhaps getting a lawyer or taking care of it ourselves (which I thought we did when we sent our financial status over to them months ago).

Need some advise.

Thanks everyone!!!

Dee

When they request a financial statement, that is why, to find out where you bank, work etc. Yes they can garnish your pay. You must file bankruptcy to avoid or stop the garnishment. Please see attorney right away. If it is less then filing bkrtcy maybe you can settle with them. believe me they will garnish and can do it in florida.
    They can also freeze your bank account. Good luck
    Last edited by Floridagail; 07-21-2010, 09:27 AM.
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

You should find an attorney and find out what options are available to you. They can only garnish so much of the primary wage earner's income. If it's not a joint debt, they can't garnish against the non-debtor. Just call a few attorneys on a free consult and ask what you should do.

If you do nothing, they'll just garnish. If you have a defense as to why they can't levy/garnish that account, then you must assert it.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

An easy way is to quit your job.

Another is ro prove thaat the garnishment is a haardsship, and try to reduce the amount of the garnishment. Another if you afford it iss to reduce your hours to the limit that you don't make enough over the minimum limit for your state to allow a garnishment. Lasty, one or two states don't allow garnishment, if you've though ot moving?

Comment

Can money received as alimony be garnished?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X