Hybrid/Electric Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid/Electric Cars

Does anyone here drive a hybrid or an electric car? I want a Prius, but I'm trying to stay within my price range of 8000 to 10000 cash so if you have another type of hybrid (ex. Honda Civic)that is still great on gas but in that price range, I'd like to know if you feel that it was worth it. Curious about maintenance and mileage. I want to save lots on gas since I drive alot.

Oh, I am aware that I can get a Geo Metro or a teeny tiny car for a lot less than that, but I really do want an hybrid/electric vehicle. My boyfriend, who I'll be sharing the car with, won't fit comfortably in a tiny car.
    Last edited by freedomnow7; 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM.
    Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
    Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

We have a 2008 Altima Hybrid. has been a great car. not as good as mileage as a Prius. But nicer and more power. My daughter has a 2006 Civic Hybrid also has been a good car might be a little closer in your price range. Their is a big power difference though between the Altima and Civic.

Comment

I have an 05 Civic Hybrid and loveeeee it! On average I get 44-45 mpg, but can get up to 53-54 depending on if I'm on the highway and if the AC is on or off. Average is the 44-45 with the AC on along with the "economy" button pressed. The engine shuts off when you come to a stop which is pretty strange when you first drive a hybrid, but thats part of what saves on gas. Also if you have your fan running but no AC, you have to turn on the ECON button or the engine will continue to run on gas when you come to a stop. Took a bit to figure out that one when we first got it.

Maintenance is a little above average than a regular car - oil change with tire rotation run between $65-70 (with completely new filter) for us with our local mechanic; dealerships are more. You do have to get the maintenance mileage checks done at certain points (60K, 90K, 120K) and that will run you quite a bit. Our 90K mileage checkup was about $400 and included flushing every system, reprogramming the computer to install updates, etc. I do know the batteries wont last forever, on average its about 6 years then it has to be replaced. Cost is anywhere from 2K - 3K for a new battery. Also of noting is that if you ever have a fire in the engine you cannot put it out with water or another substance (forget what it is...) but our local fire dept brought that to my attention. Told me to make sure if something ever does happen to notify the fire dept that its a hybrid as they dont usually check when they respond and must bring the other thing required to put out a fire due to electric components. Good thing to know!

The power isnt there as much as with a gas powered 4 cy. car but its close, you almost have to get a running start to pass someone but...thats how it is with a gas/elec engine. You learn how to drive in them I can tell you that, much different than a reg car I think.

Comment

Gosh. 2K - 3K for a hybrid battery? Is that the only thing you have to change after 5, 6 years? I heard that for hybrid cars, you have to change something every 5 years but can't remember what it is.
        Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

yes, its expensive but you have to remember that the car is powered by that battery, its not your typical car battery In my cars instance, I have a 1st gen. hybrid, its not all electric, it is gas powered with integrated motor assist (IMA - the "hybrid" part). So instead of using gas, it uses the battery (IMA) at times to assist the gas engine or instead of the gas engine.

Trust me, the money you save in gas more than compensates for having to replace the battery .

Comment

Thanks Pandora. I knew very little about hybrids and at least for now there's something I know a little more, it's the IMA battery
            Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

For you owners, if you had to do it all over again, would you purchase used or fairly new (not so much brand new but the current year with a few thousand miles on it)?

This is my dilemma, I want a Prius, want to finance a small amount, but know that because they are complex cars, I am concerned about purchasing an '04 or '05 because of the lack of warranty and the higher mileage. With purchasing a newer one, I'd have to finance a larger amount and have a bigger payment, but I get that sense of security with having a warranty.
              Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
              Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

freedomnow7

Here is a great site where you can find out alot about which hybrid you're looking at getting - no matter what year/generation. The people are very friendly and will assist you in anything you have questions on.

Plug In to the latest EV news, discussions, and how-to guides.

Only thing I would caution is what generation hybrid you get - there are many issues as time went on. For example with my 05 Civic given it was a 1st Gen, it has better mileage comparatively than a 2nd gen does, but there are issues the 1st gen has that the 2nd doesnt. I think out of the 1st gen hybrids for Honda, the 05 was the best model year for 1st gens - then 06 kinda took a hit in some areas and had issues for 2nd gen.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X