top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's get nostalgic - things from our childhood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's get nostalgic - things from our childhood...

Hubby and I think back to how things were when we were kids compared to how our children have it today. The horror stories are never ending - and leave us in stitches when thinking back.

Remember when Mom used macurachrome on cuts? HOLY CRAPPPPPPPPP did that stuff hurt! I think I'dve rather dealt with the pain from the cut than that little glass stick with acid!

Mercury thermometers - and breaking one open... just to play with the mercury!

Metal roller skates with keys that tied to your shoes.

Not being in car seats or seat belts

Mom and Dad made sure you were outside every single day after breakfast; couldnt come in until lunch - then were sent back out until "the street lights came on". (now I wonder what they were doing all that time?) Mom still wont say...LOL

Drinking from a garden hose - either just because or as a result of not being allowed in the house until lunch/street light time!

Drive-in movies and your jammies

Roller rinks

Waiting patiently on Saturday mornings for Kasey Kasum's Top 40 and hitting the "RECORD" button on your tape player, trying to miss all the "dedications".

LP's (33's, 45's)

8 tracks

Reel-to-Reel (showing my age here)

Being able to ride your bike around the neighborhood without fear

Walking to friends houses

Raking neighbors yards for $10 so you could have Xmas money (and now looking back you think to yourself "boy was I a sucker! 1 acre yard for $10?!")

Okay... someone else add something to the list

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
    Hubby and I think back to how things were when we were kids compared to how our children have it today. The horror stories are never ending - and leave us in stitches when thinking back.

Remember when Mom used macurachrome on cuts? HOLY CRAPPPPPPPPP did that stuff hurt! I think I'dve rather dealt with the pain from the cut than that little glass stick with acid!

yikes ...i still have some in my medicine cabinet!

Mercury thermometers - and breaking one open... just to play with the mercury!

i am really sad... i am so out of touch...you mean there are other kinds???

Metal roller skates with keys that tied to your shoes.

in my garbage as we type.... along with the schwinn bike.....

Not being in car seats or seat belts

ok...i have never been in a car seat....seat beat...now you're talkin

Mom and Dad made sure you were outside every single day after breakfast; couldnt come in until lunch - then were sent back out until "the street lights came on". (now I wonder what they were doing all that time?) Mom still wont say...LOL

we were actually HOPING someone would take you...(bite my tongue)

Drinking from a garden hose - either just because or as a result of not being allowed in the house until lunch/street light time!

and your point being?????

Drive-in movies and your jammies

no......to make out....

although married now over 40 years, i do recall our first date....when you only went to the drive in for ONE reason and it wasn't to watch the movie.....as it was it took me forever to get him to ask me out....so i begin to get closer and closer and finally...i'm next to him...leaning my head on his strong shoulder...when he turns to me...and says..."excuse me, i do not mean to be rude, but i DID PAY $3.00 to SEE this movie and if you don't MIND, i would like to watch it"....i knew at that moment he was the man i was going to marry!! LOL

Roller rinks

ahhhhhh now that was fun!!

Waiting patiently on Saturday mornings for Kasey Kasum's Top 40 and hitting the "RECORD" button on your tape player, trying to miss all the "dedications".

i was an odd one...only liking classical music...so kasey wasn't on my list...but $.01 candy WAS!!!!

LP's (33's, 45's)

we still have all the beatles, rolling stones, etc....all of them...

8 tracks

in the garage as well....

Reel-to-Reel (showing my age here)

my husband refused to part with his BIG thing out there in the garage...thinking it will come back some day like long hair

Being able to ride your bike around the neighborhood without fear

no way...i use to hitch hike all over san fran during the zodiac killer time and still had no fear!!

Walking to friends houses

did that last night!!!!

Raking neighbors yards for $10 so you could have Xmas money (and now looking back you think to yourself "boy was I a sucker! 1 acre yard for $10?!")

san fran didn't get leaves.....so we had to steal money out of our mom's purse

Okay... someone else add something to the list

good one pandora!!! and fun...we need some of that once in a while...
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

How about dreading the "snow" on the tv at the end of the broadcast day?

Dragnet and FBI on Sunday evenings with either a bowl of popcorn or ice cream.

Kick the Can, Red Light/Green Light and Mother May I on the front lawn.
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

I remember when there wasn't a blue m&m.

I remember dial-up internet and that really annoying modem sound.

I remember roller balls in computer mouses that got really icky until I attacked them with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol in a manic manner.

I remember getting lost before the wonder of GPS. Didn't have that until I was 19.

I don't think much else has changed, though. At least, not yet.

-- I do remember breaking mercury thermometers to play with the mercury.
        Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
        Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
        60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

Penny candy stores There was one at the end of our street. It was the best. My parents would give us one dollar and we would buy exactly 100 pieces of candy.

I remember when we first got a microwave. It was HUGE and cost about $1000!
          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

LOL @ the microwave thing! I remember when my parents got our first one...yep...huge! Or the very first video camera? OMG that thing looked like and weighed as much as an old time movie directors camera I think!

Having to wait until Saturday morning to watch cartoons! My kids still dont believe me....

Having to use transformers overseas in Europe as none of our "American" appliances / TV's would work.

Kung Fu Theater on Sunday mornings

Comment

I remember life before the internet came about.

I remember the first computer that came out.

I remember using the old typewriters that dinged when you got to the end of the line.

I remember when we actually had switch board operators at the phone company.

I remember buying snow cones from the ice cream man.
              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

I remember it was only the rich folks that had color tv.

I remember the ice cream man came daily to our "hood" in the summer.

I remember when it was ok to drink water from the river.

I even remember when the mailman came twice a day.
                Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X