How many of you have cut the cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you have cut the cable?

Since most of you have gone through, or are going through the BK process, the realization that some expenses prior-BK need to be reassessed is something we all faced. When looking at my budget, I realized one of my biggest expenses I needed to fix was the cost of cable TV/internet/phone. I had a "bundle" deal from my cable company which sounded good at first, but now it runs roughly 127 dollars a month. I have had many co-workers and friends tell me that they have "cut the cable" and simply kept their high speed internet through the cable provider, and subsribed to netflix or Hulu.

have any of you done this, and what are your thoughts?
    Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
    The rebuilding begins

I'm all for reducing the total monthly outlay for tv/internet/phone. We didn't get rid of cable tv though. We did switch to pre-paid cellphones, got the slowest broadband for internet, and cut down on cable channels.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Down to one cable box...literally move it from one room to another when needed. Basic DirecTV package - about $52/mo.
      Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Comment

Over the air TV (no cable): $0/mo (but some do live in areas that require cable)
        Slow as molasses internet: $11/mo
        Cell Phone - ok, I splurged: $49/mo.
        Land line: $23/mo.

Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Des.

Comment

Before BK
          "Bundle" Home Phone x Cable TV x Internet - $127
          Cell Phone $87

During BK(changes effective December 1)
          Internet - $40
          Cell Phone $59
          The rebuilding begins

Comment

Cable and broadband certainly seems like a luxury these days! :-/ $200 per month for basic cable and internet will be normal within the next few years the way things are going.
            The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

I hope the trustee is somewhat understanding of those that attend school online and require the faster internet (not the fastest) in order to view the streaming lessons.

Also, hubby has a Blackberry which allows him to not have to carry about 45 pounds of rule books with him to work every trip - with his bad hip this is important to us as well - RIM requires a data plan for Blackberry, too. UGH! Our attorney has been advised of these issues - I hope he is able to be convincing if necessary.
              Last edited by ValleYum; 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM.
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I found there really was not much I wanted to watch on tv, so I cancelled the cable and use free over the air (I got a digital converter and antenna because the tv is old). Cable tv was setting me back $50 a month. I currently pay about $70 a month for internet and landline phone. I'm in the process of trying to get that for cheaper. I'd take a look at how much you use these services and what your current financial situation is, if your in a 13, you might enjoy having the extra money to save, spend on other necessities, or use on something else.

Comment

where did you get the digital converter and antenna at?
                  The rebuilding begins

Comment

I have cut the cable and land line. I use Netflix and Magic Jack for the phone. Magic Jack only cost $20 a year but it has to be used with the computer, it has caller ID call waiting and free long distance. Netflix is about to raise the price so I am switching to online streaming only for about $8 a month, no more DVD's in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan2010 View Post
                      Best antenna I have found is made by "Terk". I can't think of the model number but it is a wierd looking "rabbit ear" antenna. Runs about $40 and can be found by a Google search. The cheapest place I found was Amazon. I had gone through 4 or 5 other brands and found none of them picked up the channels. I have no patients for inferior products including this crap called digital programming.

The converter box can be purchased at Walmart. Runs between $20 & $60. The RCA version I have was $20. You may still be able to get a government coupon for a $10 credit but that program may have expired.

Des.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan2010 View Post
                        One of the best DTV converter boxes was the Zenith DTT901. You can still find them on eBay, new or barely used, for example:
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENITH-DIGITAL-T...item588b264b95

Best Buy also had an identical box sold under the Insignia name, if I recall correctly.

Some stores may still have them for around $40-$50. The $40 government coupon program expired in July 2009. It was possibly to get two boxes for free or $10 each when that program was in effect. There were over 64 million $40 coupons mailed and 35 Million coupons redeemed, so the DTV Boxes are hardly rare.

Your antenna depends on your location and the channels (UHF or VHF) the over-the-air stations broadcast on in your area, as well as how far you are from the stations.

You can find plans to build your own DTV antenna on the Internet - costs around $10 in materials. Or buy an attic or outside TV antenna from radio shack or other stores. A full size yagi antenna with a few elements that covers UHF and hi-band VHF is usually what you would need if you are over 20 miles from a major TV station. They cost around $30. If you were close to the TV station and line of sight, a paper clip stuck in the antenna jack would work for an antenna with the Zenith box.
                        Last edited by WhatMoney; 11-24-2010, 03:57 AM.
                        “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

My husband and I got rid of our cable when we moved in early July. I haven't missed it at all.

I use Hulu and the websites of the channels to watch the programs I want to watch (CBS is the only channel that doesn't have a lot of full episodes). Hulu Plus only costs $7.99/month. My husband bought an adapter that goes from his computer to the big screen so we can watch anything from the internet on the big screen which is really nice.

Since I don't have cable, I think cable is a real luxury on the seldom occasion I get to watch it (like staying in a hotel for a business trip).

Comment

I think I've got the lowest cost TV/telephone/Internet setup here:

Over the air DTV (no cable): $0/mo
                            (I use a small antenna on the deck and get 24 digital quality stations. More than I ever watch.)

Broadband 3 MB DSL Internet (Frontier/ex-Verizon): $15/mo (1 year contract and you have to ask.) Works great for streaming movies (Hulu). Or I can check out over 1000 DVD movie titles from the local library for 7 days, free.

Cell Phone - none - People lived without cell phones for 10,000 years! I lived for 50 years before there was such a thing as a cell phone network.

Land line: $15/mo, including all taxes. No long distance - I use SKYPE or a 10-10-555 number in the rare case I call a non-toll free long distance number.

Total for TV + phone + Internet = $30/month.

And I cut my cable TV in 1996 - and I've never missed it.
                            “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

OMG I wish I had some other option (like a bundle plan) where we are . We only have 1 provider for each service, all are separate of one another.

Satellite Internet - $65 (and it sucks)

Home phone w/long distance pkg - $71 (because cells dont work in the house!)

Cell phones (3) $150

Satellite TV (dish) - $75 (250 channel pkt, no special programming)

We are so out in the boonies that we dont even have Dial-up LOL! With our satellite ISP, we are not allowed to download much, cannot watch TV or stream videos, etc..and cannot use any VOIP pkgs for telephones (they've blocked it all). Talk about robbing someone...sheesh! Pay for this service and cannot even use it as we want or the bill gets put into the next plan, which is $140 a month!

I hate not having options out here... we have Dish or Direct TV, thats it. No cable..no DSL, no other phone service that comes for home phone (Verizon only and they wont bundle where we are)...and again, you kind of have to stand on one foot, left arm up, turned backwards, etc...for the stupid cell phones to work in the house.

Bermuda Triangle for sure

FWIW, Trustee didnt bat an eye for these expenses either.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X