top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unemployment Extension PASSED!!!!!!! so did extended TAX cuts!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
    Jobs are created by employers NOT government. If Washington would cut taxes and quit spending so ridiculously we would see job growth. This option requires these elitists to give up power, something they refuse to do. For that moron Pelosi to claim unemployment payments are a tool to job creation shows how far removed from reality and how entrenched in the belief that Washington solves problems these fools are.

As to your personal plight, I'm sorry. I would suggest you do as the settlers did so long ago and move to a place where opportunity exists.

for us there was no place to move than where we could afford to not be on the streets.....there are no jobs in our fields anyway...

we lost our house after 33 years...we are "older' and cannot simply keep picking up to find a field of apples to pick...we need stability ....and even tho we are educated and trained to do many things you can to from florida to calif and still not find us a job...

we have not limited our job search to one place prior to moving...but now we are having no other choice than to stay put...

oh i'm not thinking the government should or can create jobs...i didn't think or mean to suggest that in anyway...
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
      This is going to surprise you OhioFiler, but I totally agree with you. Extended unemployment benefits remove the urgency of finding work, and make the recipients all but unemployable after the benefits run out. I do not know what the alternative is though, because the economy still has a bunch of displaced workers that need to be retrained before they can reenter the workforce in any meaningful way. I would like to see extended unemployment benefits replaced with internships and job training programs.

i would as well, however, what fields do you think would be applicable to job replacement and where would those jobs be????

i'm all for retraining....or being creative as far as job development. but, have you ever been in one of these places!!! we have and they unfortunately don't have anythng to offer.

unemployment insurance is only a bandaid to the underlying problem. once again....stressing job creation is the solution.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by mommi2many View Post
        Welfare is generally used by people who have never worked and therefore, have not paid into the system. Unemployment benefits are always used by people who have paid into the system.

that is correct, we paid into the "pot" for all these years. now, my understanding is that in some states the contributions vary, however we had much more in our personaly "pots"...LOL!! then even the 99 weeks and or extension will "extend"....and it was our money, not the states...not the government.

i don't know how they did this in other states...i only know about it where we came from and are collecting from.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
          I am all for keeping unemployment benefits going. People need to eat, and have a roof over their heads. But I think everyone that is receiving long term unemployment benefits needs to understand that the corporate world frowns very deeply upon them. Anyone who has received 99 weeks of unemployment benefits or even half that, without a clear demonstration as to what they were doing with that time, will face a very steep uphill battle in getting a good, full-time job with benefits after the unemployment insurance runs out.

If one is looking for a corporate job after receiving unemployment, it is far better to work part-time, or work as a temp, or start a business, than to collect unemployment for 99 weeks without having anything on your resume for that time frame. Of course you can collect the benefits while doing these other things.
          i agree with your statement in many respects...the other thing that we must now considers is.....that unemployment gap in the past was considered as i believe you view in your post...

however, now, with the actual jobs...GONE for ever, as opposed to a work slow down etc., potential employer will have to begin to view these unemployed peope through a different set of glasses...we know x vps....for over 2 years can't find a job...and any potential employer will understand it's not because they didn't want to work, there simply was nothing available...

Comment

I sometimes find the retraining comment a little frustrating or to move to another state to try to find a job. OK you retrain, then move away from your family, girlfriend or boyfriend, friends to another state, take on the job and in 3 months they fire you, now what. Job security is scary, and any field is in jeopardy right now.

Until the government and private sector can bring the jobs in (and not at the same time keep outsourcing more and more jobs or bringing foreign labor in at dirt cheap prices to take away jobs from our citizens), we need to keep the unemployment extensions going. You can ask the people to show proof they are looking as well.

I want to see the 99rs protected as this is going to continue growing in numbers by millions and millions of people. Imagine how bad it will be in 6 months, then a year from now (some will find jobs, but a larger growing number will continue to grow).

Comment

well...helpme....my dh just got off the phone with the vet admin officer at the unemployment office in the state we collect from.......so far ....nothing for the 99ers....we should be ok for the next tier we hope...we will know for certain on monday but it looks good...

also remember it depends on where you live...what is it today...NV...AZ...CA....FL...a few others over 10% unemployment.....

i just am interested to know what sector of business will there be new jobs...??? it's going to be scary to see what's to come.

Comment

tobee, luckily I came in just at the right date for the next extension, but then I am hosed. I am confident I will find a job before the UE runs out. But then again, I may get slapped in the face out there. I am yelling at the tv to the dems, bargain for ue extensions for everyone for a year, period. This is a very easy provision to include in the compromise. Believe me, the republicans will go for it, especially if they get most of their items covered.

Comment

Normally I would agree with those that feel UE should not be extended but this time I don't feel that way mostly for two reasons.

1-I feel that the low life govt sold us all out and while I normally believe in personal responsibility there's a lot of folks that are out of work but would prefer to work but just can't thanks to the govt slime balls.

2-The money it will cost and debt won't really matter. Any reasonable person knows that the US will stiff the Chinese and other creditors anyway so it's not like future generations of Americans will pay for this like some believe will happen.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                    Normally I would agree with those that feel UE should not be extended but this time I don't feel that way mostly for two reasons.

1-I feel that the low life govt sold us all out and while I normally believe in personal responsibility there's a lot of folks that are out of work but would prefer to work but just can't thanks to the govt slime balls.

2-The money it will cost and debt won't really matter. Any reasonable person knows that the US will stiff the Chinese and other creditors anyway so it's not like future generations of Americans will pay for this like some believe will happen.
                    I have seen countless examples in the news about how wealthy people and corporations have corrupted the business environment, bought off congress, changed laws to their advantage, and basically just screwed our economy and our people. Now those innocent victims (maybe not all innocent), but those innocent poor who have suffered by those that caused this problem, get a double slam in the face by those same people and political parties that say "you can't have the help you need to get back on your feet, it costs money and we shouldn't pay it...Meanwhile, lets add some more tax breaks that make us a fortune

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                      I have seen countless examples in the news about how wealthy people and corporations have corrupted the business environment, bought off congress, changed laws to their advantage, and basically just screwed our economy and our people. Now those innocent victims (maybe not all innocent), but those innocent poor who have suffered by those that caused this problem, get a double slam in the face by those same people and political parties that say "you can't have the help you need to get back on your feet, it costs money and we shouldn't pay it...Meanwhile, lets add some more tax breaks that make us a fortune
                      amend to that!!!!

i think what gets me the most...is this...what do people think taxes are not taken out of your unemployment checks.........or better yet...our pension checks..........or best yet....a good one...our social securiy checks!!!!!!!

it's not just the backbone of the young anymore that holds up this country...it is all of us. they even take our unemployment!!!!

people also forget WE PAID INTO THIS FUND......

and you're correct...if i hear one more person with the retraining junk...it's just that most that say that have jobs...maybe even retrained themselves at one point...so now it's the "easy" way...just retrain yourself and get out there...think NOT! and think AGAIN!!

Comment

You are so wrong. Gov't spending has been the driving force of creating jobs. After WWII, the gov't created the GI bill to keep returning vets busy and keep the workforce steady. Gov't created loads of jobs when constructing the interstate highways, NASA(kept the lights on in the South via McDonnel Douglas), military spending that created much of the defense industry.

The medical health care market is booming via gov't spending.

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                        Jobs are created by employers NOT government. If Washington would cut taxes and quit spending so ridiculously we would see job growth. This option requires these elitists to give up power, something they refuse to do. For that moron Pelosi to claim unemployment payments are a tool to job creation shows how far removed from reality and how entrenched in the belief that Washington solves problems these fools are.

As to your personal plight, I'm sorry. I would suggest you do as the settlers did so long ago and move to a place where opportunity exists.

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                          You are so wrong. Gov't spending has been the driving force of creating jobs. After WWII, the gov't created the GI bill to keep returning vets busy and keep the workforce steady. Gov't created loads of jobs when constructing the interstate highways, NASA(kept the lights on in the South via McDonnel Douglas), military spending that created much of the defense industry.

The medical health care market is booming via gov't spending.
                          From Economics class, the best thing a government can do during a recession is spend a lot of money, but spend wisely. If the government were to invest in new technology, green energy, new products, etc., this can create new jobs, such as battery plants in our country. The trick is to invest in technologies that will require companies to build infrastructure, resources, and hire new employees.

Comment

That's all true Jacko. What I find different about today vs. those days is those govt projects did a pretty good start in kick starting the private sector which is where most of the jobs and innovations come from.

None of today's govt programs that I can think of are a good way to sustainable growth.

The govt would build the interstate system and from there many new types of businesses and travel not to mention the auto industry grew. The same with all of the space age technology.

I just don't see that today. It looks as if a stimulas program will create some jobs and once the money runs out we are back where we started only there's more debt.

I blame all this on d & r failed policies and the entitlement sheep that killed the golden egg.
                            The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

The best thing the government could do to stimulate the economy would be to make the first $150,000 of income tax-free for everyone (with offsetting cuts in government spending).

-Rich
                              Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
                              Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

I also like the idea of the flat tax system or something like a nationwide sales tax, this way you are taxed based on your spending. If you are wealthy and spend a lot, you are taxed on that level of spending. If you are poor and spend a little, you are taxed a small amount. You would still be taxed if you tried to purchase from abroad.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X