• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment Benefits

Wife and I had to finally bite the bullet and go to local DSS office and
    file for medicaid,food stamps,etc. While there our case worker told my wife
    it appeared she was eligible for unemployment. Ok great, that would help
    immensely while we are looking for work. So she filed and a couple of weeks
    later in the mail comes a debit card from ESC.BUT, she called to activate it
    and it says 0 balance??? It's been now nearly 2 weeks since she received the
    card and still nothing on there.

Does anyone know, if they send you a debit card does that mean you are
    approved?? If not, that's a cruel joke on the part of the Employment Sec. Comm.,
    imo.

Your state works much differently than California. In California, you can apply by phone or online, they then send you a check. Sometimes you just have to really put in a lot of time and go through a lot of paperwork and hurdles to make the system work properly. If you applied for food stamps, you probably had to go through a lot of paperwork and aggravation to make it work. So call the office and explain the situation - be patient - remember it takes time and patience when dealing with situations like this.

Comment

i am working now after finally finding a job. but, a few months ago when i was unemployed it took three months from the time i filed to finally see any money from them. in my state, in addition to the initial filing, i had to file weekly reports answering questions such as what jobs i was applying for etc to meet their requirements. and getting the money was contingent upon meeting a lot of requirements. they sent me letters stating the requirements which you should also have received. they have to contact the prior employer etc and see that you actually qualify and were not let go for a reason they could disqualify you for.

like i said, by the time i finally received my money, i had found a job so it worked out. good luck.

Comment

It took Mrs. from online to paperwork by mail, then she got an account that is deposited. Although diligently looking for work, she has been on UC for three years. Every time the account was about to be terminated, an emergency extension went. So we don't approve, we are going to take the money as we both put into the insurance for a very long time.

Question, it was all supposed to end on the December 4, and for sure the stimulus to end under any circumstance would the stimulus be beyond December 11. Well on Tuesday she applied for her two weeks and we again received both and the stimulus.

I don't think anyone knows or understands what is going on. Certainly our legislators do not. Even after 'Bammy's rude awakening, things are in 'bring home bacon' mode still. The tax bill will sit as there are near 600 perks, and three reams of paper in the text of the tax bill. Same old, Different Day. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

In Nevada, my unemployed niece was sent a UE debit card with a -0- balance. Excited, she called the local unemployment office and was told even though her initial claim was denied, if she meets the requirement for a new claim by working -x- amount of weeks her card will be activated. So yes, a person can be sent a UE debit card with a -0- balance. The card does not guarantee any kind of benefits...

Comment

Originally posted by daxtell View Post
            i am working now after finally finding a job. but, a few months ago when i was unemployed it took three months from the time i filed to finally see any money from them. in my state, in addition to the initial filing, i had to file weekly reports answering questions such as what jobs i was applying for etc to meet their requirements. and getting the money was contingent upon meeting a lot of requirements. they sent me letters stating the requirements which you should also have received. they have to contact the prior employer etc and see that you actually qualify and were not let go for a reason they could disqualify you for.

like i said, by the time i finally received my money, i had found a job so it worked out. good luck.
            My former dirtbag employer not only fired me 3 weeks before Christmas, but just a few weeks after I filed for unemployment compensation, he challenged it. I had to go to unemployment court and he got to call in, only he never called in. He then claimed the phone at the unemployment office was busy. So I had to go back again and again, he lied saying he tried to call, only I sat right by the phone and it never rang and I brought this to the attention of the office. He finally stopped challenging it on the 3rd attempt.

He also lied about reasons I should not qualify for it and reasons for termination. I had actual proof these were lies and was dying to bring it in and nail him to the wall, but he finally backed down. So it does suck when the unemployment office has to call a former employer, but thats the way it works.

Comment

to helpme2010

that sucks that your employer fired you right before christmas. that happened to a friend of mine who had worked for a company for 9 years and his boss fired him on christmas day! he was the store manager and had left early on christmas eve to be with his family.

the job i have now is way way way less than what i made before but it is more than unemployment and it pays my basic expenses. i am really grateful. i wish you luck!

Comment

Originally posted by daxtell View Post
                to helpme2010

that sucks that your employer fired you right before christmas. that happened to a friend of mine who had worked for a company for 9 years and his boss fired him on christmas day! he was the store manager and had left early on christmas eve to be with his family.

the job i have now is way way way less than what i made before but it is more than unemployment and it pays my basic expenses. i am really grateful. i wish you luck!
                Just working during a recession is a great thing daxtell. I have taken jobs before at a lower amount when unemployed in different industries just to help me to get into different industries. So I have dabbled in many industries just to survive.

I really didn't have a problem with my most recent employer firing me right before Christmas, but the problem I did have with him was when he repeatedly challenged my ability to get unemployment because he is a cheap SOB Scrooge. And how he lied on the documents he submitted to the unemployment office and set up dates to challenge me where I had to drive all the way to another city to court to argue my case before the judge (he only had to call in on the phone). Each of these times, I showed up and waited for an hour and he never even called.

I was really upset that he didn't have to make the drive and that he could repeatedly miss calling in and still be allowed to continue challenging me by making lame excuses that he tried calling but the EDD court phone was busy.

I think of someone doing this as cold and heartless. Imagine trying to block someone that just lost their job during a recession right at Christmas time from even being able to collect unemployment to help them survive, just to line his pocket books. He is a rich millionaire who owns lots of businesses, properties, buildings, etc. and he is fighting me over his half of the unemployment check after I worked my butt off for him for over 6 months before he fired me?

Comment

Unemployment is a state in which the individuals are unemployed and seeking employment. It is one of the most urgent problems of any economy, notably underdeveloped ones.This have macroeconomic consequences as well.
                  [Advertising link removed by moderator. Not allowed w/o written permission from Administrator. This is your only warning before being banned.]

Comment

Some years ago, several thousands of us were laid off on December 19th...all over the North East area, from a Fortune 10 (at the time, their rating dropped since) company...

I was sort of forewarned several months in advance, but one can never be too prepared for such a lousy set of circumstances.

That being said, our union dues paid off for once since the company was taken to an arbitration, lost it, and had to hire all of us back...along with dishing out the lost wages and all the other good stuff...

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll have all of their I's dotted as well as all of their T's crossed the next time around, though...

And there will be a next time for sure...I just don't know when.

Good luck to us all, unemployed, underemployed, employed and retired in the new year...
                    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X