No announcement yet.

Buy vs. Rent: An Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we bought our house through land contract, the owner also owned his home outright. We had an attorney draw up the land contract and the owner had his own attorney, who after we submitted our contract to them made a few changes and when all parties finally agreed, the contract was signed by both parties. The great thing is you and the owner are in control of what you both want in the contract. If we would have defaulted on paying on the house, the owner would just foreclose on us. We paid the property taxes and house insurance, these were stipulated in the contract. Our contract stated that the land contract was for five years paying the owner directly, and at five years we would then finance through a bank so they could get full payment on the house. They were elderly, and that was the selling point for them that the land contract was only for five years, they then got their money from the bank, and everyone got what they wanted. So really, land contracts are great that way, drawn up to satisfy both the buyer and seller. As long as you both can come to an agreement on the terms of the land contract, it's a win/win for both parties.
    Filed BK Chapter 7 - 11/12/10 341 Meeting - 01/07/11
    Notice of no distribution - 01/12/11
    DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011

Comment

Well Tobee, if I am ever lucky enough to be in that situation again, I know EXACTLY where to come for help with the contract!

Have you ever thought of that? Starting a business that helps people write and draw up the contracts? Sounds like another win-win situation you could get into, especially if these are coming back.

Oh, and I am so excited about your getting the house! Envious, but very excited and happy for you and your DH.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby629 View Post
        When we bought our house through land contract, the owner also owned his home outright. We had an attorney draw up the land contract and the owner had his own attorney, who after we submitted our contract to them made a few changes and when all parties finally agreed, the contract was signed by both parties. The great thing is you and the owner are in control of what you both want in the contract. If we would have defaulted on paying on the house, the owner would just foreclose on us. We paid the property taxes and house insurance, these were stipulated in the contract. Our contract stated that the land contract was for five years paying the owner directly, and at five years we would then finance through a bank so they could get full payment on the house. They were elderly, and that was the selling point for them that the land contract was only for five years, they then got their money from the bank, and everyone got what they wanted. So really, land contracts are great that way, drawn up to satisfy both the buyer and seller. As long as you both can come to an agreement on the terms of the land contract, it's a win/win for both parties.
        sounds extremely feasible considering today's market.

our situation is a bit different in the fact the owner just will be holding the first and he will actually be having a broker service the loan....kinda like a bank. however, of course, if we fail to make payment, as in any type of mortgage agreement he most certainly can foreclose on us.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
          Well Tobee, if I am ever lucky enough to be in that situation again, I know EXACTLY where to come for help with the contract!

Have you ever thought of that? Starting a business that helps people write and draw up the contracts? Sounds like another win-win situation you could get into, especially if these are coming back.

Oh, and I am so excited about your getting the house! Envious, but very excited and happy for you and your DH.
          thank you...you are so sweet!!!

there are a few things we have been thinking about with respect to starting a business....already we have a few things in the "works" and hopefully if we get some things ironed out if we decide to go back to work it will be for ourselves...

you will be back on "top" again...it's just time in the way and remember for now at least THAT's still free..
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee43, I meant to say "Congratulations" on your new house!!! thats pretty exciting. I have actually thought about, if I want to get another house again, I would look to assume an existing mortgage. I know there are a lot of those out there with little equity at all so, it would take little cash to take over the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
              Tobee43, I meant to say "Congratulations" on your new house!!! thats pretty exciting. I have actually thought about, if I want to get another house again, I would look to assume an existing mortgage. I know there are a lot of those out there with little equity at all so, it would take little cash to take over the loan.
              thanks so much ryan!!! i so much appreciate you well wishes....

when toby talked about "land contracts".....that's a viable option today!! don't forget about it!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X