top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I report City temp job that stated I would be paid more than I am?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You said: "They, of course knew exactly what they were doing but were unaware of the IRS laws. "

You are a smart person and don't be naive to think these folks didn't know exactly what they were doing. It's obvious that they have been allowed to do whatever they please.

I am only sorry that you really put these people on notice. And, the previous note you made about getting a recommendation from these folks, I would not trust that. Don't even consider that.

If you are really upset about the ethics involved, finish out your term hopefully as a temporary employee. Find something else as soon as possible in this economy. If you are wise while you are there, get as much "evidence" as you can. Then, report the jerks.

One thing that has gotten to be horrid is that because it is a tight economy, people are not exercising their rights out of utter fear. But, that is exactly the time when you need to plot a course to do something or it will only get worse.

I pray you are well and please do not let any of this affect your health.

Fresh

Comment

Fresh - I am so glad you mentioned prayer. Daily I pray about this.

I would trust my 'old' supervisors recommendation as she is one they 'demoted' from acting manager back to Asst Acct Manager IV, which is the highest and what she used to be, but she has been Acting Manager for a year so it was hard for her (at 64 she does not want to make waves, just wants to make it to 65 before she retires). It is her assistant I am helping/taking over for while she is working to get the new program gong, and she is so appreciative, altho I have to chuckle because her assistant, whom I have become very good friends with, is so very, very good at her job and knows her boss so well, the supervisor (it would be easier sometimes to just name names!) goes to her in secret to get things done so she won't offend me. She has stated boldly that yes, I am to use her as a refererence)

Yes, I am (and have been) gathering evidence since this all began. One of my co-workers was given the agreements to submit a po and then it gets routed. She gracefully turned her back when I was looking for the agreement and while I was making copies and I have the remainder of the documentation of at least what happened with it from printouts from the system.
      Then I have the emails. It may not be enough to save me, per say, but it's enough to look at those snakes in the grass, I hope.

I am a naive person in many respects. All I have ever wanted to do is be a good person and just work. Okay, and maybe write great poetry. A gentle person but one who abhors wrong done to other human beings.

These folks play hard. I am not used to having to deal with that. But, if you were in my position and saw the wrongs they were committing, what would you do? It is just so hard to turn my back and think only of myself and my survival.

Altho, I am seriusly considering approaching them (the snakes)with the idea that I would stay until the job was done as I care so much for my co-workers. I guess not that many people would have caught on to what to do as I have and I have done a good job.

Just to help my co-workers and reduce the stress I am thinking of talking to these folks and saying, look, okay, we all know where we are coming from here and I'll go ahead and stay until the job is done.

I just don't know. Guess I wish we could all play in the sandbox nicely, as - rats can't think of the author's name!- so aptly said it.

Comment

Ah - the author - Robert Fulgham (sp) The things I learned in Kindegarten. Wonderful author.

Comment

Prayer ALWAYS Helps

Discouraged,

I gave you the advice that I would take myself

It's not an easy situation, but I think one thing people get too involved in is playing nice and making friends at work. You are seriously lucky if you have two real friends in any workplace now. I don't think of myself as a disgruntled 30-something, but a practical idealist by what I have seen. You have to do what is best for yourself and be able to live with yourself. And, with your friends, know who they are and treat them the way you would want to be treated. I live by that. What I have found in the work situation is that based on experiences over time, the definition of who is a friend may change. It's amazing how that can happen, too.

I will send some good vibes to God for your continuing thought on this issue. Prayer ALWAYS helps

Fresh

Comment

I have decided that I will tell them on Monday that I am willing to stay as I do not want to leave my co-workers in the lurch. In the meantime (this weekend) I will compose a letter to the Attorney General's Office and the State Auditor's Office. This will buy me time with them as I am pretty confident that they will ask me to stay. Not too many people could catch on as quickly as I have in doing the 'clerical work' they need done. Not saying I'm such a great person, but having worked in a purchasing dept in my younger days, I was already ahead of the game.

And they will assume I am being a good little sheep. After all, they are all smart attorneys and how would I even think to do anything to THEM???

I did alert them, yes, by going to HR but I doubt if they will think of my going any higher.

I am writing to both offices (and cc'ing them so they are aware they are both being contacted) as our new Attorney General stepped into big shoes and she is a bear about making sure she is doing a good job. The Auditor's office because they are responsible for overseeing businesses. But it makes both offices aware that the other has knowledge they are both contacted.

I'm a fairly decent writer and believe I can write dispassionately and just give the facts. Then leave it to them to figure out how to handle it.

Of course, they, the office I work at could tell me to jump in a lake but I think they will accept it as they really need the work done and I already know the job. I can explain that I was offended at the actions but not willing to hurt my co-workers by leaving when they need my help.

Heck, by the time the AG's office and the Auditor office are through investigating, I'll probably be long gone. They are not going to take it lightly, as it is a City office and I know they will thoroughly investigate. Who knows, they may tell me to take a jump in the lake also, but at least they will be aware there is a problem. May help the people I work with to have these higher ups on a tighter leash. Or at least know they are being looked at and make them think a little bit before they resume their callous disregard for those who work under them.

This d...n economy has everyone acting like sheep, so afraid to speak up because they might lose their jobs. It's a paradise for abusive bosses.

Comment

Please let us know what has happened! This is fascinating!
              Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
              November 2010
              Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

Well, after an all morning meeting behind closed doors after I emailed and said I was willing to stay, the 'supervisor' emailed back that they had made other arrangements and Friday the 14th (today) would be my last day.

I emailed HR once again and that is when I learned that they are the ones who stopped it as it was against IRS regulations. I emailed back that they had, in essence, saved us as at no time had we been informed of the true price of being a consultant, FICA, taxes and not being able to declare that work to unemployment. So, they were 1st, trying to go against IRS regulations, and 2nd, trying to use up tax dollars to do that and 3rd, being unethical in the way they dealt with us. Not good.

I spent the week-end composing a letter and getting all my documentation together and then sent the letter to people I trusted to review (one - a supposed friend, told me not to do it, that it would ruin my career) and after taking everyone else's advice, redrafted the letter, took off 1/2 a day Wednesday and sent the whole bundle certified to the AG and the Auditor's office. I haven't gotten the certification back yet but expect it tomorrow.

The 'supervisor' finally sent out an email after noon today saying it was my last day and people put together a quick going away. That was the only other written correspondence I received from them.

Now it is a waiting game, to see what the AG & Auditor will do. The few that I let on to what I was doing are just happy someone is finally doing something!

I'm sure they will try to screw around with unemployment. I don't think they will get far with my documentation, especially the email from HR, but we'll see. If I need to I have money saved and will use it to see me through.

I'll keep you informed but Monday is a holiday, MLK day, and they have to look into my allegations. That will take some time as it is a serious matter.

Oh, and quite a few said to use them for referenences as I'd done such a great job so that part doesn't worry me. I won't even give out the name of my supposed 'supervisor', especially as she has no clue as to what is involved in the work. They Buyers, who are all profressional people will count for a whole lot more.

Comment

I should add that even tho they tried to give no notice of my leaving, people managed to find the time to come tell me they loved working with me and would miss me a lot. The one that they had write the agreement and I had a quiet talk and when she found out why I was leaving, she said she told them when they had her write it that it wouldn't fly but they made her do it. Sort of a - either do what we say or find another job type of thing. SHE asked me to please use her as a reference and gave me her business card, as most of the buyers did. She went on to say that she was pretty disgusted with the whole thing and the way they had treated me.

Another said there were far too many consultant agreements written and wondered how many would 'disappear' from the files if an audit was done.

These good folks are not stupid, just scared for their jobs. And because they are not in the union, as clerical is, they do what they are told to do. Not happily, but they do it.

Comment

ok...now, am i understand this correctly.....they ask you to leave earlier right???? i just cannot believe what these people are doing???

are you ok...?

it was nice your co workers know who you REALLY are!!!
                    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

No tobee, they just did not accept the statement that I would stay. Here is the email (names deleted) that transpired:

[B]Me

After thinking all weekend, I do not feel good about leaving co-workers in the lurch when (name) is still working on the Master Contract clean-up (ethics again) so if you would still like me to, I will agree to remain until she is able to return to her desk and work.

My Name,

Thank you for your offer to stay on.

No need to feel bad about leaving on Friday, we have made adjustments and will be prepared to move forward. I appreciate the email and your dedication.
                      [/

So - they are covering all bases, including what their response to unemployment will be I assume.

I will not be re-applying for unemployment until I sign up with SHIFT, the nonprofit that places people over 50, which I plan on doing tomorrow, it being MLK day today. I will give them (SHIFT) my old supervisor's name and number for the reference from that awful job and hopefully by the time I take the 32 hr training, the state will at least have looked into my allegations.

I also emailed the person at the state auditor's office a follow-up letter.

The thing is: these folks went through the Miknnesota Works job network to post the opening. This left anyone who applied for the position with no one to turn to, as it was the a private hire. They should have gone through the employment agency the city contracts with to obtain an employee. That in itself is fishy and actually went against the contract they have with that company. Another no-no.

I just hope they are audited for this whole thing. I may have hurt myself in the end, but I have faith that I was supposed to be there and that this all was supposed to happen as they are way out of line in so many areas and the whole management team needs to be looked at. They seem to think they do not have to follow any guidelines and hopefully this will be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                        No tobee, they just did not accept the statement that I would stay. Here is the email (names deleted) that transpired:

[B]Me

After thinking all weekend, I do not feel good about leaving co-workers in the lurch when (name) is still working on the Master Contract clean-up (ethics again) so if you would still like me to, I will agree to remain until she is able to return to her desk and work.

My Name,

Thank you for your offer to stay on.

No need to feel bad about leaving on Friday, we have made adjustments and will be prepared to move forward. I appreciate the email and your dedication.
                        [/

So - they are covering all bases, including what their response to unemployment will be I assume.

I will not be re-applying for unemployment until I sign up with SHIFT, the nonprofit that places people over 50, which I plan on doing tomorrow, it being MLK day today. I will give them (SHIFT) my old supervisor's name and number for the reference from that awful job and hopefully by the time I take the 32 hr training, the state will at least have looked into my allegations.

I also emailed the person at the state auditor's office a follow-up letter.

The thing is: these folks went through the Miknnesota Works job network to post the opening. This left anyone who applied for the position with no one to turn to, as it was the a private hire. They should have gone through the employment agency the city contracts with to obtain an employee. That in itself is fishy and actually went against the contract they have with that company. Another no-no.

I just hope they are audited for this whole thing. I may have hurt myself in the end, but I have faith that I was supposed to be there and that this all was supposed to happen as they are way out of line in so many areas and the whole management team needs to be looked at. They seem to think they do not have to follow any guidelines and hopefully this will be addressed.
                        ok...i just lost it for the moment thinking they wanted you to leave earlier. it may not happen tomorrow, but something will get done about this mess. they really have been terrible!!!
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                          It is difficult to be a whistleblower but you will be proud of yourself in the end. One of my favorite books is Marie by Peter Maas. I love that book. Marie was so brave.

Keep your chin up! You are doing the right thing!
                          Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
                          November 2010
                          Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

Thanks BankruptinNJ. I haven't read that book - will have to!

I also believe I am doing the right thing - will just have to wait and see. One of the things is that since the top dogs are all lawyers, they seem to think they are invincable. BUT - one of the reasons I was hired in the first place is because they needed to move quickly on a project that they, somehow, forgot was the Mayor's baby - to the tune of 18 million. They are now way behind schedule, mainly because they were using incompetent people, not communicating what had to be done and not taking it seriously until the Mayor started asking questions.

They were more concerned about the Human Rights portion of the dept (as long as you belonged in that category) and not paying attention to the Mayor's project.

My hope is that they will be closely looked at for all the wrongs, and in reality I believe A: we are all humans and B: an unemployed 57 year old worker should definetly be included in the Human Rights category.

They are very arrogant and think they are above a lot of folks and it is not that I think I deserve better than anyone else, but I think everyone deserves to be treated in an equal, unbiased manner. I'm not the one that made the rules, but I believe if you choose to accept a position within the government structure, you better be prepared to follow the rules that govern it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X