Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Router Suggestions?

Hi all!

I'm looking to get a wireless router. I have cable internet and don't want to pay my service provider to set it up - $50 installation fee and then $5 per month. I will be using it for a desktop (which has to be wired, per my employer), a laptop and an Xbox 360 (which will be a wired connection for now, until it is moved to another room and also until I get the wireless adapter required for it). The desktop uses Windows XP, and the laptop uses Windows 7.

I am completely overwhelmed with the choices out there. I'm looking for something with a fairly simple set up, good price and reliable function. Also, in case it matters, for the desktop I have to use a VPN client for my job. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

~JAG
    Last edited by justagirl; 02-07-2011, 06:27 AM. Reason: additional info
    Chapter 7 - Pro Se
    Filed: 08/10/09 --- 341 Meeting: 09/08/09
    Last Day for Objections: 11/09/09
    Discharged and Closed: 11/12/09

I bought a Netgear router from Walmart for about $50 and so far its been working great. I use it for my laptop and my Nook Color. It was really easy to set up.
    Filed Chapter 7: 8/11/2010 341: 9/13/2010 Done!!
    9/14/2010 Trustee Report of No Distribution
    Discharged 11/15/2010 Closed 11/18/2010

Comment

I had a Netgear SuperG router - it went dead after 2 years; however the bigger area you need to look at is what is the router capable of doing? Are you a gamer? Do you want to watch TV / Movies via streaming? Lots of downloads? There are certain routers that are made for all of the above, currently the best routers are "N" routers - they're faster however you need to ensure if you purchase an N router that its capable of handling both G and B also.

Currently we have a Linksys router (WRT160N V3 Wireless N) as well as the wireless USB adapter (AE1000 High Performance) for other computers in the house (main one is hardwired); this particular router/USB package is great for 2nd story houses as well. Right now on Amazon they're each about $45.

Comment

If you need to properly cover a large area, most professionals who deal with this issue on a daily basis will suggest this:

If the area is not that big, then you start from the laptop itself...what manufacturer and model do you have, so one could recommend proper wireless router that would optimize your setup...

Good luck.
        Last edited by shark66; 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM.
        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.

Pandora, that is exactly what I needed to know, what I should look for...that helped out tremendously. I made a list of things I needed/wanted and then compared different routers to that.

Stormy, thanks for the suggestion of Netgear. Several friends also suggested that brand, and I found one that fits what I need it to do.

Thanks again!

~JAG
          Chapter 7 - Pro Se
          Filed: 08/10/09 --- 341 Meeting: 09/08/09
          Last Day for Objections: 11/09/09
          Discharged and Closed: 11/12/09

Comment

We have had LinkSys for about 5 yr. and very happy with this router, good price, easy to install, very dependable, no problems at all since installing.
            Filed BK Chapter 7 - 11/12/10 341 Meeting - 01/07/11
            Notice of no distribution - 01/12/11
            DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011

Comment

I just bought Netgear router for my home a month ago, That's really very nice and best quality, Cheap and much comfortable and also best performance, Much satisfied from this products and strongly recommended.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X