Debit card with restricted ATM access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debit card with restricted ATM access

Does anyone know of a debit card that I can block ATM access with, in other words it only works in stores?

Originally posted by regal View Post
    Does anyone know of a debit card that I can block ATM access with, in other words it only works in stores?
    When you get your debit card in the mail a pin should come in a separate mailing. Just throw the pin away then you won't be able to use it as an ATM.

Comment

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, or the other way around. To be hones, I wouldn't have thought of that either! Just make sure you shred the pin, not just toss it.

Comment

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, or the other way around. To be honest, I wouldn't have thought of that either! Just make sure you shred the pin, not just toss it.

Sorry - tried to correct honest and double posted instead.
        Last edited by discouraged; 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

That won't work - many stores require you to enter your PIN number.

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
            Only if you use it as a debit card. You must select credit and they will never ask you for a pin. I've had an ATM card that works as a credit card for about 15 years now. If they ask for a pin it is a debit transaction. When used as a credit card it is still just a debit from your Checking account.

Logan

Comment

What exactly is the point here?

Why does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                Only if you use it as a debit card. You must select credit and they will never ask you for a pin.

Logan
                Not necessarily; some machines regardless if you enter it as credit - can determine its a debit and you must enter a pin. Just yesterday I ran into this scenario again - and there was no way around not entering the PIN.

But I'm with HHM - what is the point in doing this?

Comment

My guess is either the OP does not want to be able to access cash...or they want to restrict someone else from being able to do so. I had to do this when I was married to my ex (at his request.)
                  Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                  New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                    Not necessarily; some machines regardless if you enter it as credit - can determine its a debit and you must enter a pin. Just yesterday I ran into this scenario again - and there was no way around not entering the PIN.

But I'm with HHM - what is the point in doing this?
                    Whatever you're using the card for they must accept visa, MasterCard or whatever your card uses for the credit transaction. Yes, when you swipe the card it identifies itself as a debit card but usually you just press cancel and it moves you to the credit transaction. Are there exceptions? Maybe but USAA has had this type of a card way before they became mainstream and I have never come across a time where I had to enter a pin and not able to use the credit side of the card. If whatever you're buying only uses the debit side of the card the you must enter a pin.

Comment

Hiya Logan,

You'd think that was how it would work all of the time but for whatever reason, sometimes it doesnt and yep, even hit cancel and tried to run it again - no go. Strangely enough it was for gas - I'm still trying to decipher how that machine knew it was a debit card vs. credit; there has to be something that ID's it as such in some manner. I hate entering my PIN at gas stations, dont ask me why, just seems "seedy" LOL

Yes...I'm odd

Comment

One weird issue I had with our local Shell station was that we had a Wells Fargo Visa Card, credit card only, we did not have a bank account with them ever, and we had this card for fifteen years, so I know for a fact it was a credit card only, all of a sudden the stupid shell pumps at the station insisted it was a debit card, and it kept asking for the pin for the debit card. It did not matter what I did I could not get it to quit doing this. The people inside had not a clue what was going on , so we thought it was a fluke, but it happened every time after that, so we had to hop across the street and start using the chevron store.

One other thing to keep in mind, as most of us are now using our debit cards instead of credit, make sure to use the credit portion, it is covered much better in case of fraud than the debit pin portion is. I just never use the debit card unless I can make it go through as a credit card.
                        Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
                        DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

Originally posted by panda View Post
                          One weird issue I had with our local Shell station was that we had a Wells Fargo Visa Card, credit card only, we did not have a bank account with them ever, and we had this card for fifteen years, so I know for a fact it was a credit card only, all of a sudden the stupid shell pumps at the station insisted it was a debit card, and it kept asking for the pin for the debit card. It did not matter what I did I could not get it to quit doing this. The people inside had not a clue what was going on , so we thought it was a fluke, but it happened every time after that, so we had to hop across the street and start using the chevron store.

One other thing to keep in mind, as most of us are now using our debit cards instead of credit, make sure to use the credit portion, it is covered much better in case of fraud than the debit pin portion is. I just never use the debit card unless I can make it go through as a credit card.
                          Souds like something is up with the machine? Gas stations would rather you use the pin transaction since the credit transaction costs them money.
                          Definitely not the norm.
                          Logan

Comment

huh.... interesting info I just read. Apparently machines CAN determine if its a debit or credit card based on something called "tracks". There are 3 types of tracks and depending on what service code is issued on the debit card (all vary in what they have on them) there are identifiable "markers" in each track and code. This is interesting too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cation_Numbers and readily ID's certain cards as debit only.

Well... that solves the mystery - now dont we all wish we knew what track/service code was issued for our debit cards? Should be something the bank tells you upfront

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
                              There is no store that requires it that I have come across, including gas stations. When a debit card is swiped, it usually does bring up the screen to enter the pin. This doesn't mean that you have to enter the pin. Just ask the cashier how to bypass this, in some stores, you just hit the enter button (without entering the pin) and it will then process as a credit card. Other stores, the cashier has to hit a button.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X