No announcement yet.

Debit card with restricted ATM access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked at a financial institution in the 90's and I do know this for a fact:
    when opening a new account the member service reps usually had to "allow" the cards access to the network.
    I've seen many cases where the member service rep would forget to input the info and customers would call wondering why they couldn't get access at ATM machines; though they could still swipe card at stores/etc. Now, once again, this was in the 90's and things might have changed. But I think your first best would be to contact your financial institution for a simple yes/no answer.

Comment

I did have 2 instances with the debit card from unemployment. 1) Fed ex's machines would not take the card - no idea why, and I had to use my bank debit card. Then, at a gas pump my UI debit card had an $84 hold for some reason and since then I have always used my bank card for gas.

I never have problems with my bank card, except when I had Wells Fargo and it would not allow me to use thne card as a debit card at the store (for cash back) but automatically used it as a credit card. Wierd. Of course, I now have basically switched banks and only keep enough in WF for my internet charge, and my new bank card does allow me to use it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
        When you get your debit card in the mail a pin should come in a separate mailing. Just throw the pin away then you won't be able to use it as an ATM.

Sounds funny but its so True !

Comment

I am hard pressed to think of an instance where I needed the PIN for my debit card to make a normal purchase. The only place I recall ever asking is the gas station pump (but then if you restart the transaction and hit the button "pay with credit", you can just swipe it).

On the technical point, I don't think there is anyway to restrict access up front. The card has access to the network. As was suggested, just forget your PIN number, and you won't be able to use it at an ATM (note, that also means no ability to make deposits either).

I wish the OP would come back and explain why this is an issue.

Comment

My name is drowning123 and I'm a debit card-aholic. LOL!
            Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X