Can utility company require SSN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can utility company require SSN?

I called to see about getting utilities turned on at our new house. The city said we would have to provide our social security cards for them along with our driver's licenses and a $150 deposit. I don't mind our driver's licenses or the deposit but after BK & having our ID stolen, I don't want to give out the SSN. We don't even provide them to our medical providers!

Can they refuse us services if we don't hand over the SSN?
    Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
    Livin' the GOOD life

If i remember correctly, the only places that you are required to give your SSN to are places that report income in your name.

"If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for an SSN, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means."
    Pro Se Joint Chapter 7 filed 03/14/2011, Fee Waiver Approved 03/16/2011, 341 Date 04/21/2011, Trustees Report of no Distribution and request for relief of duties, 04/24/2011, Last objection date 06/20/2011. Discharged and Closed: 06/21/2011

Comment

Can they refuse you services without you positively proving your identity? Absolutely. Why would you want for anyone to bill anything to you without verifying your identity?
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Read here: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm

Number 4:

4. Must I give my Social Security number to private businesses?

General. Generally, you are not legally required to provide your SSN to most businesses - including most health care providers - unless one of the exceptions below applies. However, some companies might refuse to do business with you if you don’t provide your SSN. But even though you are not legally required to disclose your SSN, the business generally does not have to provide you with service if you refuse to release it. So in a sense, you are strong-armed into giving your SSN.

In most states, there is no law that prevents businesses from requesting your SSN, and there are few restrictions on what businesses can do with it. Five states (Alaska, Kansas[, Maine, New Mexico, and Rhode Island) either restrict the solicitation of SSNs or prohibit denying goods and services to an individual who declines to give an SSN. Read the Consumers Union compilation of state laws at http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/co...es/004801.html.

If a business insists on knowing your SSN when you do not see a reason for it, we encourage you to speak to a manager who may be authorized to make an exception or who may know whether company policy requires it. If the company will not allow you to use an alternate number such as your driver’s license number, you may want to take your business elsewhere.

Comment

all of the major utilities where i live in a major metropolitan area require a social security number to run through their system. and most of them required me to fax or take them copies of both drivers and social cards to prove who i am. some to do a credit check, and require a deposit if needed and also some to prove i am not a previous person at the same residence who defaulted on their bill. apparently there are many people in this area who have defaulted on utilities.

Comment

As I stated before, I have NO problem providing our Driver's License, Debit card (that has photo on it) or another 2nd form of ID. It is specifically our social security numbers that bother me. It's only been a little over a year since we had our home broken into & along with stealing over $15k worth of stuff, they stole our credit information. I put in countless hours, stress & tears fixing everything they ruined, which was twice as hard since we also have the bankruptcy on our credit to deal with. They also check with previous utility companies (again, no problem there, never been late) and require a deposit that is equal to 2 months of service. They use the montly average over the prior year to calculate this deposit. If I'm basically paying 2 months worth of service, then I don't pay, shut my services off & use the deposit to cover it. The account will also be on auto pay.

Originally posted by frogger View Post
            Can they refuse you services without you positively proving your identity? Absolutely. Why would you want for anyone to bill anything to you without verifying your identity?
            Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
            Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

Thank you Pandora!!
              Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
              Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

I understand where you're coming from, but you are fighting a battle that will not be won. The ssn is the number that they want for many reasons. Everything about credit and collections is based upon that 9 digit number.
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

the first place we secured to live was prior to our filing bk and our credit scores were still perfect. the power company INSISTED SS numbers and a deposit. which, we were with the same utility company over 30 years with no late payment but had to come up with almost $700 deposit!!!!!!!

nothing we could do or we just couldn't get the lights on! we were told it was based on the LAST people's electric bill, which i found out 5 persons lived there, but there was no arguing the with. either we paid or that was it. the ONLY good thing is they paid nice interest on the money. after two years, i had to go after the company but got our money back. it was process energy.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X