Unorthodox housing...anyone??? (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unorthodox housing...anyone??? (long)

Didn't really know how to ask the question that I wanted to ask but... We bought a nice sized brick home in a fairly nice neighborhood a little over 8 years ago. We are giving up the house in CH7 and hopefully will be discharged in about another week. Anyways, It's a great home but I (we've) pretty much decided that we don't like people just kiddin (not really) haha, and we'd like to have some land to ourselves. After this we will be renting for at least a year but hopefully no more than two and can start building something.

I would like to build a house myself or at least the majority of it. I have no experience but I've never met a challenge that I couldn't do yet. It's just the learning curve is always pretty steep. I also have a number of friends with different trade skills that I can look to for help or advice.

So, my first thought was building a (hurricane) Katrina cottage. Lowes sells plans and you can buy the materials in stages. They had an 1800 sq ft plan that the rough dry-in cost around $35,000 at the time. Sounded good but the unknown $$$ seemed kinda scary considering I'd have to build this while working a full time job.

My second thought was a steel frame home kit. They often go together like an erector set with pieces numbered and/or color coded. With the exception of the heavier pieces I would be able to frame it by myself and a few pieces of equipment. But, again, some of the costs were higher up front and unkowns gave me pause. My biggest concerns is how fast I can get the thing dried-in.

So, I'm to my third idea and it's REALLY been growing on me. I've looked into shipping container housing. These are the containers that you see on some trucks, trains, and cargo ships. They are EXTREMELY sturdy. They are designed to be picked up by the corners full of cargo weighing as much as 80,000 lbs and stacked on each other. The containers themselves weigh around 8-10k lbs. The floors have steel I-beam floor joist 12"s on center and the "hi-cube" containers have interior dimensions over 8 ft wide, 9 ft tall, and up to 53 ft in length. They can be set on foundations, welded together in different formations, even stacked, and inside walls removed to make rooms of any size. I've even seen them used as root cellars.

My thought is that these are practically instantly dried in, are fairly cheap, are built to last a lifetime with no more, possibly less maintenance than a traditional house. The outsides can be fitted with any type of siding one chooses or can simply be painted and left with the corrogated metal siding. And they can be insulated, plumbed, roofed, and heated and cooled like a traditional home.

Quite frankly, this economy and my experience with BK has, I think, made me realize that alot of the debt I've had is a bunch of fluff...feel good stuff, impress the neighbors, etc. Epecially if one lives in a neighborhood with an HOA. It seems like there's an unspoken feeling that you have to keep up with the Joneses or be the Joneses. I don't want to live like a bum by any means but I believe I could be happier with much less or at least less costly things. My wife and I still make decent money, thank GOD, and my goal would be to build something I could have paid off in 5 years.

Anybody else take an approach like this after BK?
    Last edited by BROKEDED; 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM.

I'm not familiar with people actually living in such containers. However, I work at a gigantic industrial work site. We use those containers for "shelter in place" should severe weather or anything else strike the site, we go inside the containers for safety.

I can see how it could be made into a home, albeit an atypical home, but I can picture it.
    Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

I know someone who lives in a purple Quonset Hut here in NJ. She's even got a matching car and hair. Truth.
      Wish we were a lot handier. It's nice to have options.
      Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors.

ETA: here's a pic. the owner is quite a local hero.
      Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.
      Last edited by keepsmiling; 06-21-2011, 10:35 AM.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

The downside to "atypical" housing is you tend to find all the pro-whatever folks when you are doing research and their idea is the best thing since sliced bread. It's often difficult to find someone who will give you the real deal kinda talk you need to make good decisions. I have found one guy that has built a couple of these homes and has a wealth of information to share with me. I'm no where near ready to start building or buying but preparation is everything. The good thing is that these homes have been built in my state so that a presidence has been set as far as building codes go so I shouldn't have to fight with the county and state the whole way.

Here is what I'm talking about. This is a VERY simplistic example of what I'd like to do. This guy put three 20 ft long containers side by side for his hunting/getaway cabin. Check out tincancabin.com Keep in mind he didn't build it as a residence so it doesn't have normal amenities. I just thought a few pictures would help to imagine the structure. There's a picture gallery link towards the top of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post

ETA: here's a pic. the owner is quite a local hero.
          http://www.unquiettomb.com/index/ext...e-quonset-hut/
          LOL!!! I just got back on here to tell you that I googled "purple Quonset Hut" and found it in images. Too funny! Those would probably make great root cellars due to their shape.

Comment

Living in a shipping container? I have never heard of this. Do you have to buy land to put the container on? I see that you say it can be plumbed, heated and cooled like a traditional home. Does that mean you would have a bathroom, shower, toilet?

I would be really worried about safety. Do you get an address that you can give to the fire dept, police?

This is just pure plain personal curiosity... do you have a spouse, kids?

I would admire someone that could live this way. Personally, I could not and would not want to.

Comment

I have heard of the shipping container homes, and also the "green" mini-homes - the ones that are like 900sf and made of all-natural materials. Just research them carefully and be sure to contact folks actually living in such alternative homes for their impressions. Good luck and keep us updated. I would consider such a housing choice once the kiddos are grown and gone!
              Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
              New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by APL View Post
                Living in a shipping container? I have never heard of this. Do you have to buy land to put the container on? I see that you say it can be plumbed, heated and cooled like a traditional home. Does that mean you would have a bathroom, shower, toilet?

I would be really worried about safety. Do you get an address that you can give to the fire dept, police?

This is just pure plain personal curiosity... do you have a spouse, kids?

I would admire someone that could live this way. Personally, I could not and would not want to.
                ????? I'm not sure which way you think we would be living but, yes, you would need to own land just like any other personal residence you would build. Yes, there would be plumbing fixtures just like every other traditional home...no holes in the floor or litter boxes, lol! I don't understand the safety part of your question. Shipping containers are EXTREMELY strong structures. They are designed to be lifted by cranes, thousands of times over, while full of 10's of thousands of pounds of cargo. Most modern houses would fold like a house of cards if you attempted to move them in this manner. Shipping containers are built to travel by truck, train, and ship bouncing, swaying, bumping, and rocking. They are built to be water and wind proof. By their very nature of construction they are fire proof, and only the wood flooring might be subject to termite damage. They withstand every element of weather across the globe including corrosive salt air and water. Under ALL these conditions they still have an expected lifespan of 25-30 years. They should last forever with minimum maintenance while sitting still as a house.

They can be framed and finished on the interior just like any traditional home and the advantage over most stick built homes is that once they are welded together and properly braced (if needed) there are few if any structural walls. This means that rooms can be of any shape or size without the expense of massive beams and headers to support the structure.

Why wouldn't I have an address?

Yes, I have a beautiful family.

In what way would you not be able to live?

Comment

A really nice house:

A Travelodge being built with shipping containers!!

Hubby and I are considering this for the skeleton of our 'forever house'. He works for a freight railroad and knows how well built these puppies are!

Best of luck to you brokeded and keep us posted on your results!
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by BROKEDED View Post
                    ????? I'm not sure which way you think we would be living but, yes, you would need to own land just like any other personal residence you would build. Yes, there would be plumbing fixtures just like every other traditional home...no holes in the floor or litter boxes, lol! I don't understand the safety part of your question. Shipping containers are EXTREMELY strong structures. They are designed to be lifted by cranes, thousands of times over, while full of 10's of thousands of pounds of cargo. Most modern houses would fold like a house of cards if you attempted to move them in this manner. Shipping containers are built to travel by truck, train, and ship bouncing, swaying, bumping, and rocking. They are built to be water and wind proof. By their very nature of construction they are fire proof, and only the wood flooring might be subject to termite damage. They withstand every element of weather across the globe including corrosive salt air and water. Under ALL these conditions they still have an expected lifespan of 25-30 years. They should last forever with minimum maintenance while sitting still as a house.

They can be framed and finished on the interior just like any traditional home and the advantage over most stick built homes is that once they are welded together and properly braced (if needed) there are few if any structural walls. This means that rooms can be of any shape or size without the expense of massive beams and headers to support the structure.

Why wouldn't I have an address?

Yes, I have a beautiful family.

In what way would you not be able to live?
                    Hey Brokeded,

I'm sorry my question came off the way it did, there was no negative intent. Clearly, with regards to this, I have no idea what I am talking about which is why I had all the questions.

I have truly never heard of living in a shipping container, so I just pictured a shipping container plopped in some remote area. I wondered about utilities, plumbing etc. If it was what I pictured, it might not have an address. I asked about family because of kids getting to school, etc.

Thanks for the explanation of what it actually is, and thanks to ValleYum for the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
                      I have heard of the shipping container homes, and also the "green" mini-homes - the ones that are like 900sf and made of all-natural materials. Just research them carefully and be sure to contact folks actually living in such alternative homes for their impressions. Good luck and keep us updated. I would consider such a housing choice once the kiddos are grown and gone!
                      You can't prepare for everything but I am one of those that OVER researches stuff until my wife screams, "Do it, already!" These type homes are becoming very popular in Europe it seems and on a much more simplistic scale they are being used in areas like Indonesia for mass affordable housing. I'm not real fond of the European design elements but it's nice to see what can be done with modern materials. Thanks!

Comment

APL, no ill intent taken. I guess I didn't understand what you didn't understand. I know that most people, including myself, have never seen one around the area they live. My interest really started once we got through our 341 and had found a place to rent (not moved yet). We rented for 6 years before buying our house of 8-1/2 years and I didn't want to be a lifelong renter again. Nothing wrong with renting but I just don't want to do it for very long. At the same time I don't want to be strapped with another 30 year mortgage.

So I began to research my options of which I listed in my first post. I would LOVE to be able to afford a highly efficient home and be "off the grid" but all of that usually comes with steep up front costs and it's often even more costly to retrofit after the fact. With heating and cooling usually being one's next biggest monthly home costs besides the house payment I was looking to save building costs elsewhere.

I actually was looking at root cellar designs when I came across two that had used shipping containers buried in the ground. When I looked further into shipping container cost is when I started seeing them used as homes. Most were either small, single units outside the US with simple living amenities OR they were multi-container mansions that probably had a million dollars invested. Neither of which appealed to me. I basically wanted to know if I could build a home similar to what I had but with shipping containers. The more I looked the more I realized the answer was, YES! At the same time, I looked at what I have now and considered what I could live without, what was for show, what I would like to change, and so on. I like the character of some older farm houses with metal roofs and could possibly see building something similar. With the right design, paint, and roof, I think a container home could fit that nicely.

I am lucky to have found several VERY helpful people in the shipping container business willing to give me some contacts in my area to help me when I am ready to start building. Like I said, I will probably have to rent for a year or two while we find land and save more money but I think (right now) that this is the way we are headed. I have just started my research but this looks promising.

Comment

ValleYum - Have you looked into this much? Got any good links to constuction info? Funny that your husband works for the railroad because I was thinking how the shipping containers reminded me of cabooses. Back in the 80's when the railroads did away with them, many were bought up and used for cabins and vacation homes, especially in the mountains. Most were about the same dimensions but weighed about 5 times as much with the trucks underneath. My dad always wished he could have bought one and fixed it up as a mountain retreat.

Comment

Have you considered a yurt? They are round wooden frames covered with canvas. You build a platform and buy a kit with the frame and canvas walls and ceiling. They probably aren't as durable as shipping containers. But, they are pretty neat. I know a couple who built one on her property for less than $10k.

All there is to know about yurts.
                            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                              Have you considered a yurt? They are round wooden frames covered with canvas. You build a platform and buy a kit with the frame and canvas walls and ceiling. They probably aren't as durable as shipping containers. But, they are pretty neat. I know a couple who built one on her property for less than $10k.

http://www.yurtinfo.org/#
                              Okay, see...now you're trying to get me killed! I'm not sure I have my wife COMPLETELY convinced with the idea of "living in a shipping crate". She would probably kill me in my sleep if I suggested a yurt. lol Actually, she would probably say, "Suuurre, storage crate, wooden teepee, what's the difference."

As for me, I like the strength of the storage container. They are considered by many to be hurricane proof which is not something I've had to worry about since Hugo but we do see tornadoes in the area each year. Also, with the right insulation, storage containers can act like a thermos bottle...warm things stay warm and cool things stay cool so they can be made to be very energy efficient. I was told by a person who has built and lived in one in the mountains of NC that his winter heating bill was $25/month with electric heat. Now, if that was his sole source, I'm not sure. I have to talk to him again and get the whole scoop but mine in the lower part of the state ranges from about $150-300 between Dec. and Feb. with natural gas heat. BIG difference. Even half of that would be nice.

The other thing that I refer back to is that once the containers are set in place, the building is instantly dried in so to speak. One other benefit to that is that all the building materials can be locked and secured in the building during the first part of construction.

I could definitely see a Yurt as a mountain retreat though. One of those links showed a yurt by the lake at a NC mountain resort.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X