top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF Society broke down for any reason, War, Storm, Inserection, how would you prepare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF Society broke down for any reason, War, Storm, Inserection, how would you prepare?

I see the coming of a cloud. Houses vacant, people selling tomatoes on card tables, yard sales all week long. We now have a hurricane coming our way. Many warnings of what to stock up on.

My question is, what would you do to prepare for the worse? What if you could not call 911? What if the power is off with no definite time for restoration?

What if you were actually ON YOUR OWN. What would you do, or what would you prepare to accommodate this scenario?

I'll pipe my plans after I hear yours. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

I too see the storm coming.

To answer the question don't follow the leaders. Lead yourself and build a strong community.

We will all need each other.
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

It doesn't matter how much you prepare, if you have something that others want they will take it by force.

Comment

Well I think anyone who has been through a BK knows how to live only on the necessities. Going back to the basics is the key when preparing for the worse. I would miss all the luxuries of electricity, internet, and a car, but if I have to do without I will survive. I have a bicycle, I can make a fire out of sticks and a stone to cook and bowl water, and I guess I will become great at fishing. What else do I have but time and patience at that point.. I also would just make my way down by the great TN river and take up shelter there. That is if the WORSE CASE SCENARIO happens.

I can tell you that the tornados that hit my area back in April made me realize that nothing is guaranteed in life and we are at mother natures mercy. As long as I have my family I am happy and we can find ways to survive.
        Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
        341 meeting on 5/28/2010
        Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
          It doesn't matter how much you prepare, if you have something that others want they will take it by force.
          Others may "try" to take it by force. An attempt does not guarantee success.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

This is true, what if they wanted your wife or daughter? How prepared are you to trap, fish, protect, barter, protect you and yours from the cold, etc.

Originally posted by frogger View Post
            Others may "try" to take it by force. An attempt does not guarantee success.
            Frogger, I agree. "Speak softly, but carry a big stick" T. Roosevelt. Is this what you mean?
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I am a pessimist. Period. Frankly, I would not like to live through such a calamity as I know very close relatives who lived through WW2 in Europe. I have no wish to do the same. However, I have kids...in addition I live in a huge metro area, where people, I expect, would turn on each other (an no it's not NYC).

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                I too see the storm coming.

To answer the question don't follow the leaders. Lead yourself and build a strong community.

We will all need each other.
                The leaders got us where we are today, and that cloud is gathering fast. When the USA has a cold, the World suffers pneumonia. I would be a leader not of others but of myself. Keeping a low profile but have enough stockpile to help another in need. That way, you build friendship, but only trust anyone lightly. If anarchy broke out and there were no police, only those who prepare and are of good character will be the ones to survive. Those marauders who would rather take than prepare are already here. We read about them and see their work on TV. There will be more if society (monetary system) breaks down. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  Those marauders who would rather take than prepare are already here.
                  'Hub, society has already broken down. They walk among us each and every day. Speak very softly my friend......
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                    I am a pessimist. Period. Frankly, I would not like to live through such a calamity as I know very close relatives who lived through WW2 in Europe. I have no wish to do the same. However, I have kids...in addition I live in a huge metro area, where people, I expect, would turn on each other (an no it's not NYC).
                    You have kids, that is all the reason you need to find a safe haven. There is more land than cities. A little lot in the woods would work. Near a lake is better. Having a gettaway kit might be an idea. Two weeks of light freeze dried food a good knife, first aid kit, hand weapon with ammo, and a Boy Scout Handbook. Other suggestions?? 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                      'Hub, society has already broken down. They walk among us each and every day. Speak very softly my friend......
                      Yes. See post 8. They are.

Comment

And I'm fully prepared to protect it with greater force.

I have a generator, several 5 gallon cans of gas, plenty of bottled water, beans, rice, camping equipment and a motorhome with a bank of batteries-solar chargeable-and another generator (just in case). Hand crank radio, CB radio, and, of course, my "greater force" to protect my mobile homestead.

Most of this stuff I didn't buy to prepare for the Rapture, I bought it because it was on sale. Gas for me is like the stock market-Buy low and in the event of a collapse of society, it'll be the currency of the times.

Comment

if you have something that others want they will take it by force.
                          The 2nd Amendment is alive and well in our neck of the woods - they can try, but must be willing to die in the process should need be. While I would hate to take a life, if my life or my family's life is in danger - I will not hesitate to protect at all costs.

To add to what another poster mentioned - everyone should have on-hand wind up / solar items, not just for the "worst case" scenario's but also for power outages, storms, etc. We camp alot so we already have most of the items necessary, but everyone should have on hand:

- a wind-up powered NOAA / SAM radio,
                          - wind up lights
                          - a fire starter / striker
                          - cache of food (staples like honey, flour, and anything dried *rice, beans, jerky, etc. While sugar is good, its heavy to carry and honey stays good forever)
                          - minimum of 1 gallon of water per person per day
                          - medical supplies (band-aids, peroxide, alcohol, bandages, medications, etc).
                          - Start looking for alternate medications that are OTC that you can take should your RX medication not be available to you, and stock up on those items as well.
                          - Learn CPR / first aid

And for those that are hard core, you should also have:

- book on edible plants, berries, flowers
                          - book on survival strategies/techniques
                          - book on homepathic / herbal remedies
                          - compass
                          - map(s) of area
                          - water sterilization tablets / filter source (or learn how to compile your own filter source)
                          - survival blankets (the ones that look like tin-foil)

Most importantly - if you have children, teach them the basics at a minimum (how to start a fire w/out matches, how to read a map, compass, build a structure using tree branches, etc). This is good to know for everyday scenario's and will be something they can build upon. I know many adults that cannot read a compass or tell where they are when out in the woods. Its also important to know about water sources and work off the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                            You have kids, that is all the reason you need to find a safe haven. There is more land than cities. A little lot in the woods would work. Near a lake is better. Having a gettaway kit might be an idea. Two weeks of light freeze dried food a good knife, first aid kit, hand weapon with ammo, and a Boy Scout Handbook. Other suggestions?? 'Hub
                            Other suggestions...Canada :-) seriously.

And, oddly, I'd feel safer back in NYC were some such thing to happen...

Comment

You know what's funny is that these discussions are NOT taking place in most countries in Europe, or Canada, or Japan...or even...China...but it does take place in the US, and I myself as I said am a pessimist...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X