Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
    If I have a bad experience--which is extremely rare then I'd leave zero percent. The tip is not an entitlement; it is given in order to show appreciation for good, prompt service. It is not my problem if the waitress is a single mother living in poverty, etc. If she is rude, takes forever to bring the food, or neglects us even though the restaurant is not crowded at all, then a zero tip is warranted, and I wouldn't feel bad about it or be embarrased because of it since I wouldn't be planning to set foot in that restaurant again.
    Indeed. With poor service, bad food, or a bad general experience comes not only a $0.0000 tip, but a complaint to management as well. I, like you, would not be going back in this case.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

agree with the others - I always factor in a tip - however the service dictates the amount (0%-20%). Like others, I've given 0 to servicers who act like they cannot be bothered, have better things to do, or if I ask for something (condiments, extra napkins, a straw) and it takes forever to get them even with being asked several times. I do try to take into account perhaps that person is having a bad day (like we all do) or if its just their way and on occassion, have waited until the end of service and called the waiter/waitress over to pay the bill, and merely ask "rough day today?" or something to that affect. To my surprise, many of them have answered "no..why?" - which immediately tells me its THEM and not a bad day, but I have had some also state "yes" or "been a bit rough today..." to which I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I will not tip as high as I would've otherwise, but I will still leave something.

Problem is that unfortunately its not just wait staff that has become Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde; I have been seeing more and more of "attitudes" with many positions in customer service / relations. I absolutely cannot stand it when I go into a store (grocery or otherwise) and the clerk acts like they're being bothered by my checking out / asking a question. I've point blank said to them "Is there a problem because you're being extremely rude." Sign of the times unfortunately...

Comment

If I have a bad experience--which is extremely rare then I'd leave zero percent. The tip is not an entitlement; it is given in order to show appreciation for good, prompt service. It is not my problem if the waitress is a single mother living in poverty, etc. If she is rude, takes forever to bring the food, or neglects us even though the restaurant is not crowded at all, then a zero tip is warranted, and I wouldn't feel bad about it or be embarrased because of it since I wouldn't be planning to set foot in that restaurant again.

However, this is not really the topic of the thread. The OP was asking whether he should tip stingily even though he has been treated well and given good service, because of the fact that he's poor. That would of course be wrong, because people who depend on tips need that money to survive, and it's not their fault you're poor.
        How is it off topic? I was stating "I" tip according to services received. Tipping is NOT required. Not tipping for good service is one's prerogative. Is it bad form? Sure but that's their choice.

The past few years I stopped "Holiday Tipping" our mail carrier why b/c I'm broke and he's getting paid federal wages with federal insurance to do a job. I don't think it's wrong not to tip him/her even tho they are doing a "good" job.
        "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          agree with the others - I always factor in a tip - however the service dictates the amount (0%-20%). Like others, I've given 0 to servicers who act like they cannot be bothered, have better things to do, or if I ask for something (condiments, extra napkins, a straw) and it takes forever to get them even with being asked several times. I do try to take into account perhaps that person is having a bad day (like we all do) or if its just their way and on occassion, have waited until the end of service and called the waiter/waitress over to pay the bill, and merely ask "rough day today?" or something to that affect. To my surprise, many of them have answered "no..why?" - which immediately tells me its THEM and not a bad day, but I have had some also state "yes" or "been a bit rough today..." to which I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I will not tip as high as I would've otherwise, but I will still leave something.

Problem is that unfortunately its not just wait staff that has become Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde; I have been seeing more and more of "attitudes" with many positions in customer service / relations. I absolutely cannot stand it when I go into a store (grocery or otherwise) and the clerk acts like they're being bothered by my checking out / asking a question. I've point blank said to them "Is there a problem because you're being extremely rude." Sign of the times unfortunately...
          I have noticed this also. I do think it has to do with some people who are in positions they feel they are over qualified for. So they act like it's beneath them to ring up your groceries.
          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

....That would of course be wrong, because people who depend on tips need that money to survive, and it's not their fault you're poor.
            Hmmm - well I kinda have to disagree a little - not tipping isnt "wrong", there is no law that says you must tip, its a matter of personal preference in all honesty. I've seen and know some people - (3 figure incomes to 2 figure incomes) who leave no tip regardless of service and have been told by them that the reason they leave no tip is because it's "the waiters/waitress' job to serve and the profession they're in/chose". Do I personally agree? No...but there are many out there that think along those lines.

Tipping is not mandatory - is it expected? Yes..but mandatory..nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
              I have noticed this also. I do think it has to do with some people who are in positions they feel they are over qualified for. So they act like it's beneath them to ring up your groceries.
              I dont know what it is but its becoming more and more acceptable to behave that way it seems. My #1 trigger that will have me all over you before you can blink is this: When I grocery shop, I put things in my cart and on the conveyor belt according to what it is (i.e., frozen / fridge items together, canned items, boxed, bread, etc...). If I take the time to line it all up that way..I expect you to know to bag it accordingly as well and have said that very thing to some cashiers. Attitude? you bet they have one! Do I care? No...because again, I took the time...so you should as well. Most times now I end up bagging my own groceries and for the most part, I dont mind it - but its when they refuse to bag them and look at you like "Well.....??" that the stand-off begins. I swear I can hear tumbleweeds blowing and the tune from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly playing... ROFL!

Squish my bread..and it's all over! LOL

Comment

I'm not the tipper,, My wife does that. Well I do on occasion, but you have to make yourself noticed. Simply taking the order, dropping to food off and asking 2 minutes later on how the food is, will not get you a tip from me. We stopped at this restaurant awhile ago, got the food, poor quality and slightly warm.. upon getting the bill she hands it over and said "tips are not included in the bill".. Ararar(my buzzer sound) Just lost that one..... No way... Sorry about the argument on how they depend on tips... Get another profession if you don't like it.

You really got to think about it. lets say everyone tips 10% average meal is 25 dollars (with my family it's more like 45-50). that's 2.50, Now lets say in a working day she waited on 40 tables. That's 100 bucks, Oh don't forget the 4 dollars per hour for the wage. Thats 132 bucks in a working day... Damn, they make more than I do.

I know the tipping scene, Used to deliver food. made good money and tips. But not everyone did.
                Bottom line,,, If you want tips, be a someone that is fun, made slight small talk or were helpful. They get tips.
                8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
                9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
                Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzstpoint View Post
                  I'm not the tipper,, My wife does that. Well I do on occasion, but you have to make yourself noticed. Simply taking the order, dropping to food off and asking 2 minutes later on how the food is, will not get you a tip from me. We stopped at this restaurant awhile ago, got the food, poor quality and slightly warm.. upon getting the bill she hands it over and said "tips are not included in the bill".. Ararar(my buzzer sound) Just lost that one..... No way... Sorry about the argument on how they depend on tips... Get another profession if you don't like it.

You really got to think about it. lets say everyone tips 10% average meal is 25 dollars (with my family it's more like 45-50). that's 2.50, Now lets say in a working day she waited on 40 tables. That's 100 bucks, Oh don't forget the 4 dollars per hour for the wage. Thats 132 bucks in a working day... Damn, they make more than I do.

I know the tipping scene, Used to deliver food. made good money and tips. But not everyone did.
                  Bottom line,,, If you want tips, be a someone that is fun, made slight small talk or were helpful. They get tips.
                  Agreed 100%

Last week we ordered pizza. We hardly ever get delivery b/c it takes forever but this time we did. Pizza came to $17.99 that included a $2.50 delivery surcharge. This pizza place is less than 1/2 mile away. So I handed the guy a $20 when he arrived and said have a good day. He stood there for a good 45 seconds looking at me like "is this it" LOL I thought a $2 tip was good considering the company charged me $2.50 to deliver it down the street.

Comment

We need to separate the issues. I read OP as thinking of "not tipping" as a budget cutting tool. Not so much a question about tipping in general. I definitely think that not tipping as a budget tool is bad form.

To Buzzstpoint, keep in mind, most places pool tips in someway or split it, so the average waiter is not getting 100% of the tip left by a customer.

Comment

Actually it's going to end up being a budgeting tool because rather than tip $10 on a $14.95 haircut I will be sticking to the 10-20% acceptable amount. There were many times that I tipped even with bad service especially for hair services.

I actually tip a pizza driver more because I think driving around delivering food to people can sometimes suck especially in MN where a lot of people order pizza on those snowy, 20 below winter days. I don't think the driver sees that $2.50 delivery charge but maybe they get to keep that.
                      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                        To Buzzstpoint, keep in mind, most places pool tips in someway or split it, so the average waiter is not getting 100% of the tip left by a customer.
                        And thats a poor way of getting tips.. (The house keepers at the place I work at is almost the same.) let say a couple checks into a room, stays all week and checks out Saturday, Leaves a tip. but the gal who cleaned the room all week didn't get the tip. The crappy worker on the weekend got the tip. It's not right but that happens.. Pooling tips wont make better employees. It keeps the crappy employees crappy. If they have no incentive to improve, they wont do it. .

But to answer the original question...
                        Did you cut back on tipping because we can't afford it? Yes.. Absolutely
                        8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
                        9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
                        Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

I'm a hair stylist, work strictly on commission, so tips are a big part of my salary. I work very hard to please my clients. Also, I am always taking classes to stay on top of my game. People don't seem to realize how much competition is out there in my field. I have a handful of clients that never tip, and have more than enough to do it, as I work in a very affluent area. But, you just have to suck it up, and do the best you can do. Fortunately, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have very generous clients, who appreciate my work and I try to accommodate my clients as best I could no matter what it takes. It's my job!

Comment

Of course, OVER TIPPING should be cut back in any event, but to NOT tip at all for budget reason, no, that is bad form.

Comment

Some people are just cheap no matter what, believe me I have been in this business for over 30 years, most people are good, but, believe me, there are always the jerks that thinks they are better than everyone else, and can really ruin your day, real pains in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                                My tipping habits did not change in anyway since I think it's immoral to have servants do my dirty work for free of charge.
                                I guess I don't see going out to eat as having servants doing my dirty work. I also disagree with the fact that if your food is not up to standards that the server shouldn't get a lesser tip. I don't see why I would tip well when I wasn't satisfied with the meal, it doesn't make sense. I've never even considered tipping my mail carrier but I know some people do. Tipping well just because the server depends on tips is not a good enough reason for me to tip either. I don't tip the people at McDonalds and they make crap wages but I don't tip based on what I think people make at their jobs. I will continue to tip but being on a tight budget will make me change my habits a bit. Instead of going out for a sub-standard meal I think I will save my money for a nice meal less often and tip accordingly.
                                Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X