No announcement yet.

Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You tip what you can afford, I totally agree, as far as hair goes, obviously, if you have been going to the same person, you like what they are doing. You know what, if you haven't worked in my business you have no idea what it takes to deal with what I do. But, hey, that's what I do, and I happen to love what I do, guess I'm lucky, cuz most people are good and caring and appreciate good quality service,it's the 5% that s"#K!

Comment

Whatever!

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
        I don't tip the people at McDonalds and they make crap wages but I don't tip based on what I think people make at their jobs.
        Not to be difficult but McDonald's employees at least make minimum wage.

Waitstaff, on the other hand, make as little as $2.13 per hour and count on the tips to make up that $5.00+ per hour differential.

That impacts my thought process on tipping.

My hairdresser definitely deserves tips! She is awesome!!!
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

People that work at both places "choose" to work where they work. Honestly...Minimum wage isn't much better and at least wait staff have a chance to make more money. People that work at McDonalds don't. I really don't think tips should be based on the fact that they only make $2.13/hour. Obviously there is a reason for that, being that they can choose to give great service and get better tips. It really has been a very long time since I've had really GREAT service from anyone which lead me to ask the question in the first place. Even though I might have been thinking about not tipping as a budget saving idea and might be able to do it once, I most likely would feel too guilty not tipping someone that deserved it. But the days of tipping willy nilly without thinking about it are over and I will tip based on service not expectations.
          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I have to admit, I am the biggest cheapskate. Having said that, if I can't afford to tip 20%, I'll pass on the pizza delivery and send my husband pick up our order from Domino's, I'll wait longer between hair appointments and have my son wash my car. Like previously stated, tipping doesn't hurt as much if you factor it into the price of the service. Everyone's hurting right now. If you think of tipping as the extension of a kind gesture, it'll probably feel more like a blessing to someone else and less like a financial burden.

Comment

T.I.P.S. = To Insure Proper Service. Not to insure great service. If service is proper at a standard restaurant where the server takes your order, brings you your food and makes sure everything is satisfactory, they should recieve a 15% tip, IMO. That is the standard tip in the US and wages take that into account. If the service goes beyond being "proper" and becomes great or exceptional I tip more if I can afford to. If the server is rude and/or unattentive, I reduce the tip accordingly. To leave no tip, the service has to be really terrible. If there are problems with the service, I consider whether the problem may originate in the kitchen. I don't want to blame the server for what happens in the kitchen. If I can't afford at least a 15% tip, I don't eat out. I try to be prepared to tip 20% in case of outsanding service. At a place where you order at the counter and the server brings you your food or only your drink, I tip a lot less.

So, what is "proper"? To me it's answering any questions about the menu, taking my order promptly, bringing the food to the table without letting it sit, checking in now and then or being within waving range in case I need something, making a sincere effort to address any problems that arise, acknowleging and appologizing for any errors and doing all of that with a reasonably pleasant, if not chearful, attitude.

I haven't had my hair cut in years, but I sure need to. When I finally do, I think 10% is an appropriate baseline tip.
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I did not change my tipping habits at all. I tip according to the service I get, not what somebody thinks I should pay. If I get excellent service, you get an excellent tip, mediocre service, tip is adjusted.........lousy service, you'll see it reflected in your tip and maybe think twice next time. I might add that my first job was waitressing at .50 a hour so I busted my butt to provide good service knowing I would get a better tip.
                Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                341 5/23/11
                DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X