top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neigbors dogs barking all the time ( 2 big dogs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neigbors dogs barking all the time ( 2 big dogs)

I have a dog barking problem. It's been going on for over six years now. Talked with the neighbors 6 times, got me no where. Sent them a letter, offering to help pay for dog barking collars, got me no where. Had the Sheriff give them a warning, got me no where. Had Humane society give them a ticket, three years ago, we are now back right to where we started and its worst then before. Some days the barking starts at 7 am and does not stop until 10:30 p.m. Of course they have label me as the neighborhood bad guy. The dogs sometimes are only 7 feet from my family room and the noise travels right into the house. My son said I should try talking with them one last time but it doesn't do any good. Any idea's here? My thought is to call the humane society again. I now have it on video. Of course the neighbors are at work all day so the barking dogs don't brother them. I am retired and home all day. They said they can't leave the dogs inside the house because they damaged their furniture. They have a dog kennel but the dogs bit thru the chain link. When they hear a siren, they howl at the same time and you would have to hear it to beleive how loud it is.

Several years ago, I had neighbors with rottweilers that sounded like they were going to come right through the 6 foot privacy fence every time I took trash out. I purchased a handheld electronic device that I aimed at the dogs and within three attempts, the dogs learned not to bark and tear up when they heard me in my back yard. It didn't seem inhumane. You might try one that you can set and forget outside, but I can tell you that the "Bark Off" you can pick up at the drugstore did not work on my own dogs at all. I would look at amazon.com and check consumer reviews for electronic dog devices. Good luck!

Comment

My neighbors tried a more low tech solution for another neighbor's dog. They filled a soda can with pennies and taped it closed. When the dog barked, they'd shake it and then stop when the barking stopped. It helped some. They also got a couple of those rubber bones that you can put a treat in that the dog has to search for. They'd throw them to the dog to give him something to do for awhile. Then the dog owner would return them to be used again. Of course, that requires the cooperation of the dog owner. Do you like dogs? If so, have you tried offering to take the dogs out for walks during the day? The poor things are probably bored and crave human interaction. I don't think any of these things will keep them from howling at the sirens. If all else fails and the neighbors refuse to work out a solution, I'd call the humane society again. People shouldn't have dogs if they have to leave them alone all day every day. It's sad for the dogs and a nuisance to the neighbors.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Lady: You are 100 percent correct. They never take the dogs out of their little back yard. (20 feet wide by 60 feet in length). Plus the dogs are very hyper. The owners once said to me, "dogs bark, that's what they do". I have had alot of people at my house who say, how can you put up with those dogs. I want to be a good neighbor but enough is enough.

Comment

Dogs do bark, but not all the time, unless they are bored which it sounds like they are. It isn't the dog's fault, but they sound like a nuisance to me. I would share the recording with the neighbor and explain to them that it is making it impossible to enjoy your home with their dogs barking nonstop. I have dogs, but I keep them inside where they belong. They don't tear anything up because they are crate trained. My dogs get in trouble if they bark outside and they know it. Call the humane society if talking doesn't work. You should not have to listen to that all day.

Comment

I am in my 60's and have never had a neighbor problem in my life. Living next door to problem neighbors is no fun.

Comment

I found this article on how to persuade your neighbor to quite their dogs. I didn't read much of it. Maybe you can find something helpful in it. http://www.barkingdogs.net/persuadeneighhead.shtml
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

We had some neighbors with barking dogs about 100 yards away through the woods. The neighbors would be gone and the dogs would bark because they are bored. We could not see each other's yards, and that was fine. So this is what I did:

I had been a choir member at my church, as a child, and learned how to breathe and project my voice. So each and every time that these dogs barked, I would stand on the side of the yard closest to them [actually it was my bathroom window] and COMMAND in my projected voice: "HUSH!!!!" It took a couple of days, but the dogs learned.

The secret to this, if you try it, is you have to be consistent. You have to respond to each time the dogs bark. You have to be FIRM, and COMMAND, when you call "HUSH!!! to them. They will be noisy at first. You have to break through THEIR noise, with your TONE OF COMMAND the first time to get them to listen. Then follow up. You cannot be 'wimpy' in your voice when you do this, as you are establishing yourself as the leader of their pack.

Good luck!
                Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM.
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  We had some neighbors with barking dogs about 100 yards away through the woods. The neighbors would be gone and the dogs would bark because they are bored. We could not see each other's yards, and that was fine. So this is what I did:

I had been a choir member at my church, as a child, and learned how to breathe and project my voice. So each and every time that these dogs barked, I would stand on the side of the yard closest to them [actually it was my bathroom window] and COMMAND in my projected voice: "HUSH!!!!" It took a couple of days, but the dogs learned.

The secret to this, if you try it, is you have to be consistent. You have to respond to each time the dogs bark. You have to be FIRM, and COMMAND, when you call "HUSH!!! to them. They will be noisy at first. You have to break through THEIR noise, with your TONE OF COMMAND the first time to get them to listen. Then follow up. You cannot be 'wimpy' in your voice when you do this, as you are establishing yourself as the leader of their pack.

Good luck!
                  It is sad that the responsibility falls to the neighbors to correct this problem and that the owners seem to have no resposibility at all. We had barking dogs where we lived and when we finally moved I was able to take a nice long nap on a Saturday afternoon without the sound of dogs barking. Well, until the neighborhood 5 year old girls started screaming! LOL I now live in an apartment where I have 3 kids upstairs running across the floor until all hours of the night. I have learned to tune them out.
                  Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                    It is sad that the responsibility falls to the neighbors to correct this problem and that the owners seem to have no resposibility at all. We had barking dogs where we lived and when we finally moved I was able to take a nice long nap on a Saturday afternoon without the sound of dogs barking. Well, until the neighborhood 5 year old girls started screaming! LOL I now live in an apartment where I have 3 kids upstairs running across the floor until all hours of the night. I have learned to tune them out.
                    Yep. It's the same principal as with parents letting children run loose.
                    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-15-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

My dog used to bark like a crazy wild animal when someone came to the door, I did the soda can thing with him and it worked like a charm. I would also just walk toward him in a very domaneering manner (and not say a word) and he would back away and go lay down. I know walking towards the dogs wont work in your situation but the can might. I have a friend who has neighbors with barking dogs, she bought the electronic device, it has an on/off switch, when the dogs are out and barking they turn it on and the dogs stop, it's like magic. (I imagine it transmits some sort of high pitched noise).

As a dog owner, it's sad to read stuff like this. If they would just take their dogs out for a run, burn off the excess energy, I bet they wouldn't bark. The dogs are bored and hyper. Some people should be pet owners.....or parents for that matter.
                      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

You mean they SHOULDN'T be pet owners or parents......? Right?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X