Try this and see how you do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try this and see how you do

It is meant to illustrate the hard choices low income people have to make, but I think many of us can relate to it a bit too well.

Think you’ll never have to ask for help? Here’s your chance to prove it.

Schools should use this game as part of an overall money management course.

I made it through with $138, but my car registration is expired, my electricity is off and rent is due tomorrow. Maybe I will have that smoke afterall!

I am fortunate to have never been in such dire circumstances!

Our local food bank does a game similar to this when you go to volunteer. They put you in the shoes of a food bank client, tell you about your income and expenses and how much, if any, they get in food stamps and then have you pretend to shop for food with whatever money is left after paying all of your other expenses.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Schools should use this game as part of an overall money management course.

I made it through with $138, but my car registration is expired, my electricity is off and rent is due tomorrow. Maybe I will have that smoke afterall!

I am fortunate to have never been in such dire circumstances!

Our local food bank does a game similar to this when you go to volunteer. They put you in the shoes of a food bank client, tell you about your income and expenses and how much, if any, they get in food stamps and then have you pretend to shop for food with whatever money is left after paying all of your other expenses.
      I agree. The schools should show the kids what it's all about. Once the kids get brainwashed of this reality they will choose a life of being productive and not a typical American consumer.

About a hundred years ago the US education system used to teach students how to be good Entrepreneurs. Today they teach kids how to be good employees and it's blowing up in our faces since employers don't seem to want anymore employees.

Thanks for the post APL. Very good workout I too have experienced.
      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I made it through with $85!!!! But my kid is really messed up. No, just kidding - I gave her the $10, but made sure she put it into her savings account. ;)

Comment

I lost my job. Couldn't type fast enough, spoke to the union guy once.
          Rocks and hard places. Been there, done that, but always had a cc for backup.
          Sucks big time.
          Excellent site, gonna send it to my kid.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Well, at least I was able to help my kid with his math.
            Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
            Discharged! June 28, 2012
            Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X