No deposit on a cell phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deposit on a cell phone

I was pretty excited about this, because I have been without a cell phone for about 6 months now. I really did need a phone because my car has broke down a couple of times. So I havie been looking around for the best phones and the best plans. I looked at the prepaid phones and ones that did not require monthly contracts. The phones that did not require contracts were still the same price as a phone that required a contract.

I ended up finding a smartphone that was free. I did not have to put a deposit on the phone and the cost per month is really good. I am excited. I did find that cell phone providers are giving better deals online. The stores did not have the same deals and were a little bit more. I have only been out of BK a little over a year and the cell phone carrier that I picked actually was included in my BK for .05 cents. I was shocked that they did not require a deposit, but I am thankful. My FICO score is at 610 right now.
    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Congrats!! I am very happy for you!!!

~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

We do the Boost phone. Mostly for the peeper function but I understand that in about a year the parent company will quit it. I think it was Sprint. Not sure now. When the money is gone the service is and that is fine with me. We have an auto draft but if this is not monied, then it will stall until it is. Does not cost me any penalties but as I said, it is not used to call at ten cents a minute. I like it. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post

I ended up finding a smartphone that was free. I did not have to put a deposit on the phone and the cost per month is really good.
        Let me guess: T-Mobile or Metro PCS.

Given that you've gone BK on them in the past, I'd say TM.

Good luck to us all.
        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

More and more carriers are starting to be a little more generous on starting new plans as people are cutting back and jumping ships.

I've been with Us cell since 2005, I've never gotten so many mailers, and phone calls from them as I have gotten in the past year. I'm still on the old plan and all my lines are due for upgrade. They want me to switch to the belief plan and I keep telling them no. I'm going to leave and find different service.. I pay 155 now for 4 phone lines. If I were to get 2 Android, and 2 texting phones, my bill would sky rocket over 250 a month... No thanks...... I simply wont do it. I will cancel my phone before that.
          8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
          9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
          Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
            Let me guess: T-Mobile or Metro PCS.

Given that you've gone BK on them in the past, I'd say TM.

Good luck to us all.
            Actually it is Sprint. They have some great promotions going on right now. I was shocked that they actually have come down on all there plans. I was with AT&T for the last 2 years, but I had lots of problems with them. Long story short I sold my iPhone back in the summer and saved my money. I had Sprint years back and thought I had everything paid on them after the contract was up. Turns out I owed them .005 cents. It may had been a misprint,but my lawyer still added them to my BK. That is why I was shocked they gave me a phone with no deposit. Maybe they are hurting for money. I have no clue why I have no deposit, but I will take it right now. My bill on a smart phone is around 60 dollars with tax and all the bells and whistles. Also there was no activation fee.
            341 meeting on 5/28/2010
            Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

So I was supposed to have my phone today. I am sitting in my living room and see the UPS truck drive by. I go and track my package and it says it has been delivered. I go and search everywhere around my house and nothing is there. I quickly call UPS and they kept saying yep it was delivered to your front door at 5:56 today. I was about to scream after 15 minutes of arguing. I asked them to call the driver and find out where he delivered my package to. They would not call the driver.

So after 1 hour on the phone with Sprint I have another phone being delivered and they even credited my account 60 dollars for my trouble. I said that is great, but can you please make sure that the other phone can never be activated, because someone has my phone. I told them I do not want someone else to get the joy out of my phone. I work hard for my money, saved up for future payments, and now someone is greedy and stealing my phone.

Needless to say a supervisor with UPS is calling me back tomorrow and discussing with me about the incident. UPS is going to do an investigation on the driver and see what happened. The supervisor called tonight while I was making dinner, but I never heard my house phone ring. That is what his message said.

I even went over to my neighbors house too see if they received my package.

Oh well I am keeping my fingers crossed that I receive it. I guess I am just getting mad and frustrated because I went through all the mess prior to the BK, then went through the BK, and had a set back over the summer almost a year out of BK. I am working two jobs right now and feel like having something as small as a phone is a luxury, and I am actually excited to get it. I never spend any money and for me to actually decide to get a phone is a big deal.

Okay I am done venting now. Keep your fingers crossed that I receive my phone!
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

That's strange. You have to sign for packages delivered by UPS. Did you ask the supervisor who signed for the package?
                Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                  That's strange. You have to sign for packages delivered by UPS. Did you ask the supervisor who signed for the package?
                  Not necessarily. The driver has an option (unless otherwise instructed) to scan the code and input where the package was left (front porch etc.) Only if the package carries additional insurance it must be signed for.

Good luck to us all.
                  No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

They leave packages all the time at the door. unless specifically asked for a signature confirmation.

Someone could have simply taken it. The UPS driver that delivers to my house usually delivers to my work.
                    There's been packages they he's told me he left in my entry way.. (Entry way is in the garage, then through a door) Simply disappeared.
                    It happens. but most packages are insured to a point at UPS. Just call them and be nice and they'll usually fix it.
                    8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
                    9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
                    Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

I use Net 10 which is a pay as you go cell phone. If you are very careful, you can get it down to about $15 per month, but I almost always end up paying $30 per month, and sometimes more, depending upon how many calls I get.

The main reason I like it is that it works anywhere. No matter where I go in the U.S., it works. I have never found a spot yet where it doesn't work, except in areas where there are no cell phone towers, and no cell phones work there anyways.

And I pay for it with cash. I just go to almost any grocery store and buy the Net 10 cards with cash and then enter the pin number on the phone, and it's done.

No monthly bill. No credit check. And no deposit.

I route everything through my Google Voice number and then the calls which don't get screened out get forwarded to my Net 10 cell phone. I even made sure that my friends and family only have my Google Voice number, so there is no way a creditor will ever get this new cell phone number.

Fortunately, I got a cell phone number which didn't have any telemarketers calling and no creditors calling for the previous owner. It's nice a quiet most of the time.
                      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Well the missing phone was found today. THe UPS driver delivered it to a different neighborhood. The lady found my house today. Called Sprint and now the first phone that was found has to be returned because it is black listed. Now I get to wait on the new phone. I called UPS back again today and complained. I have no idea how this driver made this big of a mistake. For example: driver is supposed to go to "1234 mad lane" and instead he goes to "5678 lake drive". There are 2 miles apart and do not even have the same address or numbers.

Sprint does not require their packages to be signed. I even asked them and they said they do not do this. UPS stated that once I get the tracking number for the new phone to give them a call back and ask them to require a signature.

On a side note I wish people would do their jobs. I know many people who are still out of work and would love to have a UPS job. You would think the people who had the jos would actually do their jobs correctly. I mean what if this was diabetic supplies. I would be in trouble.
                        341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                        Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X