No announcement yet.

Renter with Pitbull Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you require him to have additional insurance?

Crate pillows work great with washable beach towel covers - easier on the machines,too.

Neutering and vaccines should be high on the list to accomplish.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Hi VY:

No, we haven't said anything about renter's insurance or anything like that. We are a historic farm with two outbuildings that we are 'renting out'. We actually are zoned as Residential Estates, single family only allowed on the property. So we are allowing 'guests' to stay for 'the time being'.

I am afraid that if we say to the folks that they have to have 'renters insurance' that they will have to produce a rental agreement. We aren't doing that; it is only 'for the time being' and as all parties are 'happy'.

The truth is, 'Hub and I do need some help around here, and part of the 'guest agreement' is that the guests provide some physical help and labor around here.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        Hi VY:

No, we haven't said anything about renter's insurance or anything like that. We are a historic farm with two outbuildings that we are 'renting out'. We actually are zoned as Residential Estates, single family only allowed on the property. So we are allowing 'guests' to stay for 'the time being'.

I am afraid that if we say to the folks that they have to have 'renters insurance' that they will have to produce a rental agreement. We aren't doing that; it is only 'for the time being' and as all parties are 'happy'.

The truth is, 'Hub and I do need some help around here, and part of the 'guest agreement' is that the guests provide some physical help and labor around here.

In addition to what Mrs. said, we must add: When my/our enemy attempted our ruination, he turned us into Codes. As the officers (code enforcers) knew of this man's meanness, when I stated we were a "Century Pioneer Farm" in FL, they asked: "You are a farm? You need no permits at all unless they are occupied buildings."

The Code administrator did not agree with the fact that we were a legal farm that had no real production, so by his own laws, we showed evidence that our land was a productive farm from 1860 right up until 2001, when we gave the land rights with life estate to the State of Florida for a Wildlife Sanctuary and Public Park. We had a "green belt" exemption for timber production, as well as life rights due to our Pioneer recognition. The law stated we became an Historical farm.

No one ever came back to bother us.

For the most part, the people here are in need. We have done this in the past with about a 50/50 success rate helping those who needed their "New Start" but in a different way.

The person with the dog (in which I too dislike that breed and shot more of them I wish to admit to) will tolerate it until proven wrong. He is on "probation" with that animal, as we have three cats and two small dogs on the campus.

My favorite cat, years ago, I found after a ruckus of squeals, one cat in three dogs mouths. One being a pit. They fled before I could get at my 38. So, as I'm talking too much, we will see and report back on this thread. 'Hub
        Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM.
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Alright, i am going to throw my two cents out here, and am preparing to get flamed but i think someone needs to stand up for the real apbts.

I have three "pit bull" type dogs - two true apbts, and one staffy. I own my home with a fenced in yard. I have a 14 month old and one on the way. My dogs are well trained and well behaved. They respond to voice commands across the yard with no issues. They play out in the backyard - and yes, they do play rough. So does my moms wheaton terrier. So do her neighbors Great Danes. So do the other neighbors beagles. They are not Pomeranians (but they are lap dogs~), they are working dogs usually with high prey drive.

Personally, i have never had a dog so eager to please. (correct to type...) They do not redirect (ie get excited about something and then bite their owner or another stander-by), they do not attack "without warning" (those owners are in denial), and they truly are babysitters. My amstaff sits in on bath time every night and when my LO starts to splashing, she tries to climb over us to "save her" - it is actually rather comical.

Are they dog aggressive? They can be - this usually doesnt appear until after the dog has matured, somewhere around 3 years of age. I pride myself in not putting my dogs in situations where they are likely to fail. We dont go to the dog park (occasionally to the dog beach), and we dont leave them in the backyard when they play hard (it scares one of my neighbors because my dogs are so vocal, but they are not hurting each other when they play). Are they people aggressive? Nope. Never once have any of my dogs ever growled at a person. never once have they ever shown signs of hurting anyone. Usually they just jump up and greet people with lots of wet kisses.

What is this prey drive? it is the innate part of the dog that usually causes the "issues" because the average owner who doesnt understand the breed doesnt know what it is or how to manage it. Most dogs have prey drive - some stronger than others. it is what causes a retriever to go after that ball. it is what causes a pit bull to "fight."

I despise people going after a dog because of its "breed" - ANY dog is capable of hurting other dogs and biting people. ANY dog can be aggressive towards people or dogs. Yes, i know they can play out differently on HOs etc, but any dog can be classified as aggressive. I have seen small dogs that i worry more about than big ones. And dont give me the excuse of, well he is small, its cute... That behavior is inexcusable and should be bred out of any breed!

That being said, because apts are such a fad breed right now (just go to the spca - something like 80% of the dogs are apts or some mix thereof in my area) they are getting some bad breeding (typical traits that belong with the breed such as non-human aggression are being looked over for muscle type, size, or the like) and bad press. Dont get me wrong, if a dog is unstable, i say, without hesitation, no matter how much of a family pet he/she is, that dog should be euthanized. I wont own an unstable dog. Not everyone feels that way - they try to save them, or cesar milan them... And that results in a dog sneaking out one day and destroying the image of the breed.

Here is an article that i absolutely love!!!! In print, it also had 10 pics of dogs and asked which one was a pit bull. http://www.tampabay.com/features/hum...cle1086363.ece It points out that we are too quick to call a biting dog a pit bull, when in fact, they are not.

All of this being said, as the property owner, i respect your decision (either way). I definitely would have done a doggie interview to make sure you feel confident that the owner has control over the dog - no matter the breed. Not just some demonstration of obedience, but a sit down and greet session with some outside play time so you can see the dog in his/her element.

(excuse the typos, its early)

Comment

TBA, no one here (who does not get banned) is going to "Flame" you for your opinion.

The fact is, this type of dog has a bad history of mauling and/or harming people. I'm sure other dogs do the same. It is a BIG dog for one, since the three cats and the other two dogs are small lap dogs. The master is quite a nice man, and loves that dog very much. He took it from it's original owner that he either get the dog or turn them in for training it to become a fighting dog. It was quite skinny as starving dogs is part of training fighting or hunting dogs. I don't dislike dogs per se. I dislike most masters who abuse their dogs.

If the dog did not show so much gentleness and the master so much concern and respect to us to take care of his animal as he is doing, the problem would be gone. We gave him 30 days to see how the dog acts normally once it gets used to being here. To date all is working out fine.

Every dog owner loves his dog (normally) and prefers the type of dog he owns. I like Terriers, or Jack Russells. Both high maintenance.

I respect your opinion and I think this will work out well. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

cat,if you feel this uncomfortable, i wouldn't give anyone a trail period. follow your instincts. this breed is known to turn at a drop of a hat. doesn't matter if they are sweet one day to the next, the potential is there for them to be violent, it is their nature. period.

you know me, i would give them a 30 notice, no dogs period. you can't and shouldn't have to worry about this sort of stuff. i know with our rentals and i love animals, but NONE are allowed i don't care what type of breed it is, i can't afford the damages to the place. i don't know about others that own rental properties, but i have to lower rents and put more money into the places just to keep them rented. the good thing for us, though is we have a manager handle these situations and we don't have anyone living on our property where we live, that does make the situation a bit harder to deal with.

TBA, i hear you, but when it's in a breed, it's there. again, it's their nature, not their fault. just a note here, we bred and raised goldens for over 18 years and not a one was ever aggressive or bit anyone, ever. we must have bred 100's of dogs. 0 out of that, ever bit anyone, ever. why, again, correct breeding it part of it and again it's the nature of that breed. to say all pit bulls bite, would not be a true statement, i'm just saying their potential is greater, again, because they are who they are.

good luck with this, i would always be worried that if someone came to the house that the dog doesn't know, he/she would attack because they are protecting their territory. they change personalities when they are protecting. if it were me, they both would be out. but then again, i'm such a meany.
              Last edited by tobee43; 12-30-2012, 07:43 AM.
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                Renter knows that we still have many of our personal things in the building. I was quite annoyed that he had put two decorative bed pillows in the dog box that he shuts his animal up in when one of us comes over.
                Regardless of the dog, the owner just failed the test IMO.
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                  Regardless of the dog, the owner just failed the test IMO.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X