No announcement yet.

Helping Homeowners Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act of 2009, House Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helping Homeowners Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act of 2009, House Version

Here is the text of the H.R. 200, the House version of Senate Bill S-61 that has just emerged from committee. On first glance, I don't see a difference between the house and senate version.

Also, here is a link to a letter that was written by BK Judges asking for clarification.
    http://www.************************/...ess1-14-09.pdf

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 200

To amend title 11 of the United States Code with respect to modification of certain mortgages on principal residences, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 6, 2009

Mr. CONYERS (for himself, Ms. LINDA T. SANCHEZ of California, Mr. NADLER of New York, Mr. DELAHUNT, Mr. SCOTT of Virginia, and Ms. WATERS) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend title 11 of the United States Code with respect to modification of certain mortgages on principal residences, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Helping Families Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act of 2009’.

SEC. 2. ELIGIBILITY FOR RELIEF.

Section 109 of title 11, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by adding at the end of subsection (e) the following: ‘For purposes of this subsection, the computation of debts shall not include the secured or unsecured portions of--

‘(1) debts secured by the debtor’s principal residence if the current value of that residence is less than the secured debt limit; or

‘(2) debts secured or formerly secured by real property that was the debtor’s principal residence that was sold in foreclosure or that the debtor surrendered to the creditor if the current value of such real property is less than the secured debt limit.’; and

(2) by adding at the end of subsection (h) the following:

‘(5) The requirements of paragraph (1) shall not apply in a case under chapter 13 with respect to a debtor who submits to the court a certification that the debtor has received notice that the holder of a claim secured by the debtor’s principal residence may commence a foreclosure on the debtor’s principal residence.’.

SEC. 3. PROHIBITING CLAIMS ARISING FROM VIOLATIONS OF CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS.

Section 502(b) of title 11, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (8) by striking ‘or’ at the end,

(2) in paragraph (9) by striking the period at the end and inserting ‘; or’, and

(3) by adding at the end the following:

‘(10) the claim is subject to any remedy for damages or rescission due to failure to comply with any applicable requirement under the Truth in Lending Act, or any other provision of applicable State or Federal consumer protection law that was in force when the noncompliance took place, notwithstanding the prior entry of a foreclosure judgment.’.

SEC. 4. AUTHORITY TO MODIFY CERTAIN MORTGAGES.

Section 1322(b) of title 11, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by redesignating paragraph (11) as paragraph (12),

(2) in paragraph (10) by striking ‘and’ at the end, and

(3) by inserting after paragraph (10) the following:

‘(11) notwithstanding paragraph (2) and otherwise applicable nonbankruptcy law, with respect to a claim for a loan secured by a security interest in the debtor’s principal residence that is the subject of a notice that a foreclosure may be commenced, modify the rights of the holder of such claim--

‘(A) by providing for payment of the amount of the allowed secured claim as determined under section 506(a)(1);

‘(B) if any applicable rate of interest is adjustable under the terms of such security interest by prohibiting, reducing, or delaying adjustments to such rate of interest applicable on and after the date of filing of the plan;

‘(C) by modifying the terms and conditions of such loan--

‘(i) to extend the repayment period for a period that is no longer than the longer of 40 years (reduced by the period for which such loan has been outstanding) or the remaining term of such loan, beginning on the date of the order for relief under this chapter; and

‘(ii) to provide for the payment of interest accruing after the date of the order for relief under this chapter at an annual percentage rate calculated at a fixed annual percentage rate, in an amount equal to the then most recently published annual yield on conventional mortgages published by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, as of the applicable time set forth in the rules of the Board, plus a reasonable premium for risk; and

‘(D) by providing for payments of such modified loan directly to the holder of the claim; and’.

SEC. 5. COMBATING EXCESSIVE FEES.

Section 1322(c) of title 11, the United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1) by striking ‘and’ at the end,

(2) in paragraph (2) by striking the period at the end and inserting a semicolon, and

(3) by adding at the end the following:

‘(3) the debtor, the debtor’s property, and property of the estate are not liable for a fee, cost, or charge that is incurred while the case is pending and arises from a debt that is secured by the debtor’s principal residence except to the extent that--

‘(A) the holder of the claim for such debt files with the court (annually or, in order to permit filing consistent with clause (ii), at such more frequent periodicity as the court determines necessary) notice of such fee, cost, or charge before the earlier of--

‘(i) 1 year after such fee, cost, or charge is incurred; or

‘(ii) 60 days before the closing of the case; and

‘(B) such fee, cost, or charge--

‘(i) is lawful under applicable nonbankruptcy law, reasonable, and provided for in the applicable security agreement; and

‘(ii) is secured by property the value of which is greater than the amount of such claim, including such fee, cost, or charge;

‘(4) the failure of a party to give notice described in paragraph (3) shall be deemed a waiver of any claim for fees, costs, or charges described in paragraph (3) for all purposes, and any attempt to collect such fees, costs, or charges shall constitute a violation of section 524(a)(2) or, if the violation occurs before the date of discharge, of section 362(a); and

‘(5) a plan may provide for the waiver of any prepayment penalty on a claim secured by the debtor’s principal residence.’.

SEC. 6. CONFIRMATION OF PLAN.

Section 1325(a) of title 11, the United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (8) by striking ‘and’ at the end,

(2) in paragraph (9) by striking the period at the end and inserting a semicolon, and

(3) by inserting after paragraph (9) the following:

‘(10) notwithstanding subclause (I) of paragraph (5)(B)(i), the plan provides that the holder of a claim whose rights are modified pursuant to section 1322(b)(11) retain the lien until the later of--

‘(A) the payment of such holder’s allowed secured claim; or

‘(B) discharge under section 1328; and

‘(11) the plan modifies a claim in accordance with section 1322(b)(11), and the court finds that such modification is in good faith.’.

SEC. 7. DISCHARGE.

Section 1328 of title 11, the United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (a)--

(A) by inserting ‘(other than payments to holders of claims whose rights are modified under section 1322(b)(11)’ after ‘paid’ the first place it appears, and

(B) in paragraph (1) by inserting ‘or, to the extent of the unpaid portion of an allowed secured claim, provided for in section 1322(b)(11)’ after ‘1322(b)(5)’, and

(2) in subsection (c)(1) by inserting ‘or, to the extent of the unpaid portion of an allowed secured claim, provided for in section 1322(b)(11)’ after ‘1322(b)(5)’.

SEC. 8. EFFECTIVE DATE; APPLICATION OF AMENDMENTS.

(a) Effective Date- Except as provided in subsection (b), this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

(b) Application of Amendments- The amendments made by this Act shall apply with respect to cases commenced under title 11 of the United States Code before, on, or after the date of the enactment of this Act.
    Last edited by HHM; 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM.

Can anyone help me on this. I get a headache reading through all of this.

If I am current on a FHA loan, where the value of my house is currently $110k, and I owe 165k, and I do a Ch.13. Can this bill then modify or cram down that loan? Or do I need to have a bad loan, like a subprime loan?

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
      Can anyone help me on this. I get a headache reading through all of this.

If I am current on a FHA loan, where the value of my house is currently $110k, and I owe 165k, and I do a Ch.13. Can this bill then modify or cram down that loan? Or do I need to have a bad loan, like a subprime loan?
      It looks like they got rid of the subprime requirement, but you may need to allow the foreclosure process to start before filing a chapter 13.
      Last edited by HHM; 02-18-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Sheesh, thats taking a risk if you ask me, I just emailed my attorney, lets see if he even knows what the bill is.
        Last edited by optimistic1; 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if I would be considered on the brink of foreclosure. I filed the day before the sheriff sale last April. But I have had problems keeping up because I don't think my expenses were thught out very carefully because we did the schedules in such a hurry that day. Now the attorney that helped me left and I have a new one. He told me also to wait and see what happens. I guess I'll email him tomorrow. But just curious because my home was listed as 129900 a year and a half ago when I had it on the market but noone would pay that. So my question is if I bought the house in 2000 for 83000 how do i know what its really worth if noone is buying. Isn't this kinda hard to tell what it is worth. With my arrears I owe total about 106000. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
            It looks like they got rid of the subprime requirement, but you may need to allow the foreclosure process to start before filing a chapter 13.
            I believe you mean this bit:
            My understanding is that a notice of default is sufficient "notice that a foreclosure may be commenced".

But this is a bill that is still in flux (or at least subject to some horse-trading). I wouldn't count on the January draft to make any decisions.
            Filing for parents: Dad w/ dementia, mother working at 71, 3 special needs g'kids
            Rental property equity: $100,000, Consumer debt: $120,000
            First meeting with attorney 12/16/08
            Upshot: 60 mo plan, ~80% payback, rentals to trust & mom retires!

Comment

See, now this bill may actually help people who are in Bankruptcy to stop a foreclosure. This one looks like a program that will actually have teeth, and that will work.

The moratorium on ARM adjustments, is particularly nice.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

This is where I'm getting confused:

I already was in foreclosure right before I filed. And I can't afford to pay these payments because my payments are almost doubled. I'm going without car insurance and other things right now. My bank is USDA a federal program already and they don't have any programs and won't refinance until they are made to. So why is this new bill voluntary for the banks and not mandated.

Comment

Originally posted by blindsided View Post
                  I believe you mean this bit:

My understanding is that a notice of default is sufficient "notice that a foreclosure may be commenced".

But this is a bill that is still in flux (or at least subject to some horse-trading). I wouldn't count on the January draft to make any decisions.
                  Problem is, no one has understanding of what that clause will mean. In any event, you are correct, until it is actually passed, we won't know, and unless the issue is clarified, there will be litigation in every BK district initially to figure it out.

Comment

I spoke to an attorney friend of mine about the "foreclosure clause" in this bill. There is an obscure case related to 401K withdrawals and the 10% penalty. One of the exceptions to having to pay the penalty is if you did the withdrawal to stop a foreclosure. The court held that the house had to be "in foreclosure" to get the exception from paying the 10% penalty.

And, of course, the banks will take the position that in order to do the modification, the house must actually be "in foreclosure" (what ever that would mean under your state's law), vs just having a default notice or default and acceleration notice.

If that is the case, this could really screw over those that are already in a chapter 13. The bill, by its wording, appears to be retroactive to any chapter 13 that is still "open" at the time the bill is passed; but many of those with open 13's that could have benefited from a loan modification may not have let their house get to actual foreclosure before filing.
                    Last edited by HHM; 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

HHM,

That is so true about a lot of us in a 13 that were not on the brink of foreclouser, but could benefit a lot from a loan modification. I hope it is retroactive.
                      Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
                      Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
                      Discharged April 2012

Comment

So what if I'm in a chapter 13 and the mortgage company is asking for a relief from stay. Would I be in foreclosure then. I only paid 83000 for my house but owe 105000 does this mean I'm upside down in my mortgage. When I first put it on the market 1 year ago they listed it as 129900 but of course no one is buying. So I took it off and filed chapter 13. Would they cram it down to 83000 in this new plan. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by worried View Post
                          So what if I'm in a chapter 13 and the mortgage company is asking for a relief from stay. Would I be in foreclosure then. I only paid 83000 for my house but owe 105000 does this mean I'm upside down in my mortgage. When I first put it on the market 1 year ago they listed it as 129900 but of course no one is buying. So I took it off and filed chapter 13. Would they cram it down to 83000 in this new plan. Thanks
                          It's really too early to speculate. But I think the Bill requires that the house be IN FORECLOSURE "before" the case is filed.

Comment

I was definitely in foreclosure the day I filed. I filed on the night before the scheduled sheriff's sale. But I'm not in foreclosure now. I think that's what you mean right? I'm 2 months behind on my 1st mortgage $1200 and $600 behind on second mortgage. The second mortgage has filed for relief from stay and my attorney answered so waiting to see what happens. I just don't know if I should pay anything so that it might screw my chances of getting help.

Comment

The foreclosure issue is at the "time of filing". If you are behind on payments now, you are gonna be screwed. You need to catch them up.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X