Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlisted debts not discharged in First Circuit

May 8, 2009

Unlisted, unscheduled debts are not discharged in the First Circuit, which covers Puerto Rico and New England (except Connecticut). All medical bills must all be listed, even if you believe them to be covered by insurance, because the insurance company may later deny the claim. Cosigned or guaranteed debts of others must be listed, even if payments are current, because a future default means the debt comes to you.

This is due to yesterday’s First Circuit ruling, that an unlisted possible indemnification obligation (a type of guarantee of another’s debt) was not discharged. The debtor didn’t list the contingent debt in his no-asset case because nothing was owed at the time of the bankruptcy filing - it arose one year later, when the other party defaulted on a future construction performance. Too bad for the debtor.

Established lower court precedent in Massachusetts and elsewhere, and other circuit courts, approved the discharge of unlisted debts in no asset cases. The First Circuit reversed the lower courts and disagreed with the other circuits. An unlisted debt is just not discharged. It left a door open for a debtor to ask that a case be reopened to add an unlsted creditor, but good cause must be shown for the omission.

This adds another nasty burden to the well-meaning debtor who does not have perfect, super-human records. Colonial Surety Company v. Weizman, 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 9742

Author: L. Jed Berliner, Ma. bankruptcy attorney
    By L. Jed Berliner, Massachusetts Bankruptcy Attorney on May 8, 2009 in Bankruptcy Practice and Procedure, Debts Not Dischargeable, Discharge of Debt, Life After Bankruptcy, Massachusetts

http://www.************************/...first-circuit/
    Last edited by Flamingo; 05-08-2009, 01:21 PM. Reason: To conform to forum posting rules - OP please note as to format

Well that answered my question about if I need to pay another fee to amend my filing for the hoa fees. Since my lawyer decided not to list them even though he knew about em.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Since you are not discharged, it's good business to amend your schedules regardless of your district. Here, apparently the 1st circuit is one of the very few that requires all debts to be listed in order to be considered discharged post bk.

Comment

Remember, that's only for the 1st District. Most of the Districts, aka the "majority", feel that all pre-petition debts are discharged in a no asset case, whether you list them or not.

This one was a very specific "contingent" debt so the ruling may not cover all cases (like a non-contingent debt).

I still agree that all debts, contingent or not, should be listed. You can also re-open your case to file an amendment to discharge the debt. The reason most of the Districts say that all pre-petition debts are discharged in a no-asset case whether listed or not... is because they thought that re-opening a case just to amend the Schedules... was not a good use of the Court's time.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yea talked to my attorney paralegal today about it, had to drop of the debt education paperwork so it worked out.

She said he would ask him about it. It's just annoying because he charges $100 more to amend a filing then just the $29 court fee. The HOA fee's are just under $500 so it'd still be worth it, just annoying since I told him in the first place.
          3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
          4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
          4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
          6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X