341 and we get this so-called "diligent" trustee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by despritfreya View Post
    The problem I had with Freeatlast's situation was that the Trustee's realtor, 2 years later, wanted him/her to supply financials and actively participate in the short sale.
    Exactly...that was the only problem we had with the whole process. I'm in the same district as Resigned2BK and had/have the same lender (BofA) so I'm quite curious if the same "we need to see your financials" nonsense will be requested in this case.

@Resigned2BK - IMHO that real estate agent is pretty optimistic about a serious offer in 3-4 months and BofA approving a short sale in 30-60 days. Our old neighbors also had Countrywide/BofA and were doing some kind of short sale and their house has been in 'pending' status for 14 months.

BTW - our TT did give up his power trip about 9 months ago and still no foreclosure from BofA so that makes 3 years since the last payment was made on the house.

As always - best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Resigned2BK View Post
      Of course, BofA just comes out with a new deal to help a million struggling homeowners mostly of Countrywide originated loans slash an average of $100K off the mortgage balance. If we only had to pay based on $155K, I think we could! Just so unfair.
      I think that is the big question for me. I don't mind a TT selling a home in a case where the intention is to surrender, but if the bank is taking a big loss and paying some ridiculous carve-out fee, why not offer that same deal to the homeowners so they can keep their home? The bottom line is the same either way, right? Of course, that would require intelligence and some sort of ethics and/or human compassion and banks just don't seem to have any of those qualities, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
        Mr. Smoot seems pretty unhappy about it. I wonder if he has the cojones to take on the tt's...
        Don't count on it in that firm's case. If you really look at what Smoot tends to do, he tends to represent collectors, creditors, and trustees. I looked at what these attorneys say they do, their representative cases. They don't give a crap about people in this situation. I bet more often than not, Smoot is the trustee's lawyer in cases like mine, if the trustee ever felt the need for additional representation.

Comment

Our place was listed last Friday and a guy came out and installed the sign yesterday afternoon. Initial asking is about $30K below the value of the combined 1st and HELOC debts, but about $20K above the 1st alone if the HELOC is stripped. The trustee said he was taking the HELOC value into consideration. We have the email proof of that.

I'm so f-ing pissed to have such a shitty attorney. I'm even more f-ing pissed at myself that I was pissed at this guy last summer when he wouldn't lift a finger without charging ahead of time a load of money to go after the outright FDCPA violations we were getting from collectors, yet decided to honor my husband's attitude to keep the attorney and not go for another free consult or two with attorneys who do mainly BK. The fact that now I see that stupid sign by our driveway now is directly my fault for not listening to my mounting reservations and forcing the issue that we get proper representation. The damned firm still only has my name on the file after all this time. Even though we'd never have to file BK if DH had not made the business mistakes of the past decade that he did, my name is the sole name on their files! Like it's all my fault. Which, it is at least in deciding to stay with them.

Comment

Oh, R2BK, I am so sorry for you. My heart hurts reading the pain and anguish in your last post. Your whole situation just SUCKS.

Sending you a virtual hug this morning.

VY~
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Resigned2BK View Post
              Our place was listed last Friday and a guy came out and installed the sign yesterday afternoon. Initial asking is about $30K below the value of the combined 1st and HELOC debts, but about $20K above the 1st alone if the HELOC is stripped. The trustee said he was taking the HELOC value into consideration. We have the email proof of that.
              First off- this whole situation really sucks. I'm sorry you're going through it.

I'd like to offer a bit of a positive spin for you since you are clearly having a lousy day.
              1. Just because the TT listed it doesn't mean there will be an offer and if there is an offer, it doesn't mean BofA will actually accept it.
              2. Even if they accept an offer, they will probably be very slow in doing so.
              3. You should have at least 6 months (probably more) of no mortgage/rent so you should be able to save quite a bit of money.
              4. If there isn't an offer within 6 months, follow the advice Des posted - file a Motion to Abandon so a judge can see what the TT is up to.
              4. If a sale actually takes place (big if IMHO) it may end up better for you in the long run if you want to purchase another house. Without a foreclosure, you'd be eligible for an FHA mortgage just 2 years after discharge while others are well past 2 years post discharge (myself included) and are still waiting for foreclosure to start. Those of us in that situation will actually end up waiting 5+ years after discharge to be eligible for a new mortgage.

I know the few good things don't outweigh the anger and frustration you're feeling right now, but things will get better.

Comment

I started having a lousy day as I saw that stupid For Sale sign through the front door window when I walked down the stairs. We don't have the income to rent a place right now, or at least not one that satisfies things like having a garage to house storage and tools sort of thing. I got to interview for a job that I'd be perfect for late last month, 1st week of March I get an email saying they want to check my references yet the person in charge of hiring will be out a week on vacation and I've still yet to hear anything from any of my references. I have a couple from my last job who are really good at telling me when they've been contacted and promised to contact me after I gave them the heads up this month. So, we're poor, we could be able to afford stuff if I can just secure a job, but for whatever reason I'm either just not selected (maybe credit hx is an issue even though background check was the only thing they seemed to care about on the app) or I have to wait a really really long time for anything positive to happen. I try to keep upbeat most of the time as a rule, it's just all bringing me down lately, especially having a sign out there like a neon FAILURE reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by freeatlast09 View Post
                  I'd like to offer a bit of a positive spin. . .
                  1. Just because the TT listed it doesn't mean there will be an offer and if there is an offer, it doesn't mean BofA will actually accept it.
                  2. Even if they accept an offer, they will probably be very slow in doing so.
                  3. You should have at least 6 months (probably more) of no mortgage/rent so you should be able to save quite a bit of money. . .
                  4 (sic.). If a sale actually takes place (big if IMHO) it may end up better for you in the long run if you want to purchase another house. Without a foreclosure, you'd be eligible for an FHA mortgage just 2 years after discharge while others are well past 2 years post discharge (myself included) and are still waiting for foreclosure to start. Those of us in that situation will actually end up waiting 5+ years after discharge to be eligible for a new mortgage.
                  I know the few good things don't outweigh the anger and frustration you're feeling right now, but things will get better.
                  "freeatlast09" has hit the ball out of the park with this one. Always, and I mean ALWAYS find the silver lining.

Des.

Comment

If you want to take action now you could file an anonymous concern to the IRS that the trustee (you will have to use his name) is not filing taxes on these type of sales (which you believe have been ongoing for some time) since he can not credit the capital loss of the house against the earnings from the sale. IMHO. It is a fact that the TT has to file state and federal taxes on a BK estate that liquidates any assets. Let the IRS and TT work out the details. ;-)
                    Lawyer - $3000
                    Filing fee - $299
                    Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

I found a great forum where a Realtor who is also an attorney talks about this situation from a different aspect. The thread starts off with a woman trying to buy a home that is for short-sale due to the BK trustee and she was wondering about a disclosed but unexplained ~$15k fee she has to pay to buy the house. The whole thread is interesting and worth a read.

Message #15 by MattVW explains this issue really well.

Re: Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Short Sales... Fee's that only show up at closing.
                      Options

07-08-2011 07:08 AM

It is very common on a bankruptcy sale for the trustee to put a 5% + 3,500 fee on the sale of the property. This is on top of the purchase price and must be paid by the buyer. In a very rare circumstance, the short sale lien holder might pay the fee, but rarely.

The trustee fee is paid to the trustee (not the listing agent) and it used to provide the bankrtupcy estate more flexibility dealing with the unsecured creditors. Trustees use this strategy to generate more funds to work with when a bankruptcy estate doesn't have any valuable assests. It provides an option for more funds if they can find a buyer willing to buy the house and pay the fee.

It sounds like it was disclosed up front as well and should have been attached as part of the bankruptcy purchase and sale agreement.
                      I know it isn't much comfort, R2BK, but I posted it in case it has some good ammo for you down the road.

Sometimes, knowledge is power. Gah, I sound like a Saturday morning cartoon commercial from back in the day.

LOL

I hope your day is better today, R2BK.
                      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

LOL, thanks Valleyum.

Comment

That link kind of terrifies me. 75 days from the day of offer to closing for the person who started that thread. WTF. I also loved how she said it wasn't firesale priced when a third of the 2009 price was knocked off to make a sale in 2011. In the Seattle area, 2009 prices weren't tremendously higher than 2011 prices. Or at least they weren't in how our place was appraised over those years by the county.

Comment

It was EMPTY already though - and part of the deal with the buyers will be your moving date, right?

No sense borrowing trouble, sweets. <-- My mamaw always said that. Hopefully no one will want to buy it. I think you need to fry some fish. And make some yummy baked garlic cloves. MMMmmm they say there is nothing like the aromas of home cooking to sell your home . <snort> Do you like a nice curry on a rainy blustery day like today?

Did you know that soap scum is the new granite alternative? They say with enough layers it will be even stronger than granite!

Oh and your SS will have to be approved by both your first and the HELOC right ? Are they both with BOA? That may slow things down...

Just thought of another thing: You need to do some SUBLIMINAL decorating at your house!!

We did this at apartments I leased (but backwards of my suggestions here! LOL).
                            • Your bathroom needs some new decor - a drain snake & plunger sitting by the potty and a JUMBO size jug of Drano sitting on the counter.
                            • And print out the attached info about Attic Squirrel Traps and hang it with a magnet on the fridge. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...22-210959823-2
                            • A couple of bowls or trash cans with water in them randomly placed in rooms would be a fun subliminal reminder of a leaky roof.

If you are asked - I mean you were just trying to get things ready for the sale.... right?
                            Last edited by ValleYum; 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

We had our first looker last night. A Russian guy who we suspect is probably looking at the flip potential. Anyway, his agent left her card like agents always do and my girls were like, "Her hair is so pretty!" That got me thinking, hmmm, I could make a banner saying "Thanks for visiting" and push pin all the cards we get all around and over it on a prominent wall someplace like maybe the foyer. The cumulative effects of dozens of agents would, I should think, have an impact of "Damn, there must be something very wrong with this place." I don't know...

We're trying subtle resistance techniques. Neither the trustee nor his agent can force us to have our place spotless nor can they force us to leave the house when people come to view it. So what we did last night was just skulked around while a pizza was cooking while this guy looked. He was here 3 minutes tops. Hee hee.

Comment

Perhaps your pet could 'conveniently' throw up in some prominent place, like the bed, which my little avatar did today.... ??
                                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X