My Second Trustee Disbursement - All of It Went To Secured Creditors Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Second Trustee Disbursement - All of It Went To Secured Creditors Only

So what I post here is not a question or even a concern of mine, but just doing some experience sharing (a la 341 meeting stories) about this highly complex (and sometimes not-well-explained) process known as Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Maybe what I experience in real-time will provide someone with info they are not getting in the books, atty websites, financial advice sites, etc. I feel that no matter how well you prepare yourself for the BK process, you learn something new at nearly every turn in this process. So....

When I researched BK and came upon information to how priority creditors were handled, I had this impression that "priority" meant that the trustee would take your arrearages, divide by 60 and that's the amount each priority creditor got paid each month and the unsecureds get whats left over according to whatever percentage of the leftover plan payment they were entitled based on the Trustee's formula. That includes mortgage, home equity, car, secured loan, taxes. In a previous post, I reported that from my first trustee disbursement, all my tax arrearages were paid in full and all priority creditors were paid whatever was left over. I'm very happy about that, knowing that I'm longer a deadbeat and I got some nice state and local tax amounts to claim on my 2014 1040. However, since my understanding is that tax payments under the plan are "deferred" have to revisit what "deferred" actually means! Or study the BK Code and local rules.

My second disbursement was made this week at around the same time as my first. According to NDC, my second disbursement was all priority creditor arrearages, which is mortgage, home equity, a secured loan and the T's fee. No payments whatsoever to unsecureds. The payments to the home loans were fairly sizable, which makes me happy since I have a shortfall on the escrow from getting behind on payments last year and I have more interest to report on my 2014 1040 than expected. It's looking like in my case, the secureds are truly priority; getting paid first and out of the way.

As for the unsecureds, I'm losing no sleep as to when they get paid. Most of them are debt buyers anyway.

Hi Switch,

I'm in a 100% payment plan for Chapter 13. for the first 4 months, all the trustee paid was the secured creditor (our car loan). At the end of the 4 months the car was paid off and then he started paying the unsecured creditors. I undertand that every trustee has their own method for payment
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

As it should be. Secured creditors come first, the crumbs go to the rest of them.......
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Our 13 just transistioned to a 100% just last month and it shows that our car was paid off. How long after your car was paid off did you receive your pink slip?
        Originally posted by sophieanne View Post
        Hi Switch,

I'm in a 100% payment plan for Chapter 13. for the first 4 months, all the trustee paid was the secured creditor (our car loan). At the end of the 4 months the car was paid off and then he started paying the unsecured creditors. I undertand that every trustee has their own method for payment
        Filed ch 13 03/2012. Final payment made 03/2015. Discharged 8/04/15!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gld2pan View Post
          Our 13 just transistioned to a 100% just last month and it shows that our car was paid off. How long after your car was paid off did you receive your pink slip?
          I would think it would depend on your district and the details of the case. If the car loan was crammed down in the 13 I am willing to bet you won't have access to the pink slip until the lender sees a discharge order. The attorney should know for sure.

In my 13 there were priority debts including house arrears and state and federal tax debt. There was also a lien strip(no claim), and some unsecured debts. At first the attorney was paid at the highest rate along with some going to priority debts. Once the attorney was paid in full the house arrears were paid at the highest rate then the fed and state. If I get through this last 15 payments I might be able to add more info, but when I thought the next payment would pay off the smallest priority debt (state tax) the payment was held by the trustee. Why, I don't know, but I would think they wanted to simply confirm the final amount before categorizing the claim as paid in full. My fuzzy math puts the federal tax paid in full in two more payments and the house arrears in January(four more payments).

I am curious to see how it breaks down, but bottom line I think this would be a district specific guideline rather than common practice in all districts.
          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

My autos have been paid off for years but no titles yet. They are waiting for the discharge here.

Comment

Originally posted by gld2pan View Post
              Hi...
              We were very fortunate...i called Toyota Financial 1 month after it was shown as paid off and they sent the title right away.
              Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
              Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
                Once the attorney was paid in full the house arrears were paid at the highest rate then the fed and state.
                I forgot to mention that I paid my atty up 100% front, no atty pmts in my plan. If that were the case, I'm sure my plan would've paid my atty first.

Comment

I received my title soon after the trustee finished paying off the loan. There was no cram down. The lender received payment in full. I agree with spidge is correct that if there is a cramdown, you won't get the title until after discharge.

Originally posted by switch625 View Post
                  I forgot to mention that I paid my atty up 100% front, no atty pmts in my plan. If that were the case, I'm sure my plan would've paid my atty first.
                  My attorney and trustee got small payments each month with the bulk of my plan payment going to the car. As soon as the car got paid off, my attorney got what was previously going to the car payments until he was paid off. Now, with 8 months to go and nothing but unsecured debt left, very small payments are going to unsecured creditors, with the bulk of my payments accumulating.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                    Now, with 8 months to go and nothing but unsecured debt left, very small payments are going to unsecured creditors, with the bulk of my payments accumulating.
                    Why would your payment accumulate rather than be applied to the remaining unsecured debts?
                    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
                      Why would your payment accumulate rather than be applied to the remaining unsecured debts?
                      I assume the trustee will calculate each creditor's share at the end and send checks out. I really don't much care. My car is paid for, my attorney is paid, I'm making the monthly payments and will get a discharge after making 8 more. When the trustee pays unsecured creditors is not my concern.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                        I assume the trustee will calculate each creditor's share at the end and send checks out. I really don't much care. My car is paid for, my attorney is paid, I'm making the monthly payments and will get a discharge after making 8 more. When the trustee pays unsecured creditors is not my concern.
                        I agree that it really does not matter to us as long as the trustee has a handle on it. I had one priority debt that I thought should have been paid in full with the next payment but the last payment was held in the balance on hand. Makes me wonder if the trustee does some kind of notice to the creditor to confirm the amount. Then again those amounts were set in the beginning and should not change. Could it be since it was for state tax that the trustee wanted to make sure there are no new balances? If so I may be in trouble on the federal side as I owe for a year after filing.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X