CH7 341's in Oakland, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CH7 341's in Oakland, CA

So I borrowed a page out of gman’s book and took this morning off work to go watch Chapter 7 341’s at the Northern California District-Oakland courthouse with the trustee assigned to us.

My initial impression is that we are lucky with the trustee that we drew. He was very professional, took his job seriously, respectful, but at the same time he liked to crack the occasional joke and provide a light atmosphere. I felt very much at ease watching him interact with filers and attorneys. The one thing he did not do even once was announce his decision right there. He ended every meeting with “meeting concluded, you’re excused and thank you for coming.”

For the specifics, I watched 28 meetings. The vast majority of them were the standard gamut of questions that have been posted here an infinite amount of times; did you read this, sign it, changes in job or income, expect inheritance, anyone owe you money, etc.

In most cases, he actually ended up asking one or more questions about what was filed, showing that he does read everything sent to him, even bank statements.

The problem ones: A woman, filing pro se, had gone on a trip to Vegas 3 weeks ago for the funeral of a family member where she proceeded to then spend over 7K at luxury stores and dining out. The trustee actually went through the bank statement out loud reading off the multiple charges (stuff like 3 charges on different dates at Charlotte Ruse, Hard Rock café almost 700, etc.). He looked at her implying “how do you expect me to let this through”, and her justification was that it was probably part of her grief therapy, but she didn’t recall, although she admitted to the purchases. He jokingly asked her if her bank card hadn’t broken since she used it so much. He concluded the meeting, but told her to expect more to come.

A gentleman who required an interpreter (which in our district they use a speaker phone and conference in an interpreter) had two issues even though he had an attorney. He listed a property in Central America for 8K and, being a major cultural difference in how business is conducted, the trustee wanted to know if he arrived at the price by comps while the debtor did not understand, and kept saying a friend who lives there and sometimes sells property. Having lived in South America many years, I understand exactly and know that there is no such thing as comps in most countries there. But that seemed to fluster the trustee a bit. Additionally, the debtor, upon questioning, indicated that he had paid a friend almost 4K in May. The trustee admonished the attorney since the information was not in the SOI. He collected the friend’s name and address and told the attorney he had one week to weave some SOI magic to see if there was any way that he (trustee) would not be requesting that money from the friend.

Another gentleman filed with his business and his attorney listed an inventory that was 10K over the exemptions. The trustee asked point blank if the man was going to liquidate the excess inventory and pay him 10K, to which the man, looking confused, answered yes. Trustee asked him again, same answer with hesitation, but look of abject confusion. Trustee said I don’t think you understand what I’m saying, let’s try math. Inventory is 30K, your exemption is 20K, so are you giving me 10K….lightbulb went off and replied no, no I can’t, I don’t have. Trustee looked at attorney and told him to amend and file revised schedule, but that he did not think it would help. After all, it was inventory that could be sold and was in excess of the exemptions. And he confirmed the minimal value estimate at least 4 times with the debtor.

Funny note on one attorney. The meeting was one of those 60 second uneventful ones. However at the end, the trustee grabbed a stack of over 80 pages, gave them to the attorney, and asked him if his law firm would be joining the digital age at any time in the foreseeable future so that they could start scanning and emailing the documents to him instead of mailing…he also highlighted the significant cost savings and benefits to the environment of such a move…lol.

All in all, a very fair trustee. Always gave debtors and their attorneys the opportunity to explain away something before making any determination. Always ready to crack a one liner to ease the tension. I certainly feel very much at ease now. I know I will be questioned regarding my future-looking tax withholdings and am ready to not only explain, but prove that they have been implemented; I’ll be asked about my own Vegas trip in July, where I went to a bachelor party (can't deny the gentleman's club cash withdrawal...lol...and yes, my wife is aware) but only spent a total of $240 plus $289 airfare; I’ll be asked about a large 5K deposit into my account post filing that is part of a class action settlement listed and exempted in our schedules as an asset, since it was received after the filing. I feel ready.

I would recommend to anybody who can to go and observe a few 341’s with the trustee you drew and understand his/her line of questioning vs. your filing. You’ll understand what you’ll likely be asked beyond the standard, if any, and be ready for it.

Hope this helps.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Thanks for sharing your experience joe - I was thinking I would observe some 341's with my Trustee as well - hopefully it will settle my nerves!
    Filed Ch 7 Sept '10, 341 Meeting Oct '10, Discharged Dec '10, Case Closed Jan '11

EQ 2/8/11 - 584, 6/2/11 - 677

Comment

Yeah, that's honestly the best advice I can give for 341 jitters. Go watch your trustee in action. Then you'll know where his line of questioning will come from. Very calming effect.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
        Yeah, that's honestly the best advice I can give for 341 jitters. Go watch your trustee in action. Then you'll know where his line of questioning will come from. Very calming effect.
        How do I know who my trustee will be?

Comment

It will be listed on your notice of filing and meeting of creditors.

Comment

Good job cssjoe!! Thanks for posting!

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

good move and i am glad you feel more relaxed knowing what to expect. More peaple should do this. i think if we observed our Trustee before our meeting we may have rescheduled just to get a different person. our person was sort of unpleasant to the filers and condescending to the assistant and to one of the interpreters. we watched several interviews before ours and based on the trustee's actions we tried not to do anything that would put us in an unfavorable light. not someone who i would like to know on a personal level.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                So I borrowed a page out of gman’s book and took this morning off work to go watch Chapter 7 341’s at the Northern California District-Oakland courthouse with the trustee assigned to us.

My initial impression is that we are lucky with the trustee that we drew. He was very professional, took his job seriously, respectful, but at the same time he liked to crack the occasional joke and provide a light atmosphere. I felt very much at ease watching him interact with filers and attorneys. The one thing he did not do even once was announce his decision right there. He ended every meeting with “meeting concluded, you’re excused and thank you for coming.”

For the specifics, I watched 28 meetings. The vast majority of them were the standard gamut of questions that have been posted here an infinite amount of times; did you read this, sign it, changes in job or income, expect inheritance, anyone owe you money, etc.

In most cases, he actually ended up asking one or more questions about what was filed, showing that he does read everything sent to him, even bank statements.

The problem ones: A woman, filing pro se, had gone on a trip to Vegas 3 weeks ago for the funeral of a family member where she proceeded to then spend over 7K at luxury stores and dining out. The trustee actually went through the bank statement out loud reading off the multiple charges (stuff like 3 charges on different dates at Charlotte Ruse, Hard Rock café almost 700, etc.). He looked at her implying “how do you expect me to let this through”, and her justification was that it was probably part of her grief therapy, but she didn’t recall, although she admitted to the purchases. He jokingly asked her if her bank card hadn’t broken since she used it so much. He concluded the meeting, but told her to expect more to come.

A gentleman who required an interpreter (which in our district they use a speaker phone and conference in an interpreter) had two issues even though he had an attorney. He listed a property in Central America for 8K and, being a major cultural difference in how business is conducted, the trustee wanted to know if he arrived at the price by comps while the debtor did not understand, and kept saying a friend who lives there and sometimes sells property. Having lived in South America many years, I understand exactly and know that there is no such thing as comps in most countries there. But that seemed to fluster the trustee a bit. Additionally, the debtor, upon questioning, indicated that he had paid a friend almost 4K in May. The trustee admonished the attorney since the information was not in the SOI. He collected the friend’s name and address and told the attorney he had one week to weave some SOI magic to see if there was any way that he (trustee) would not be requesting that money from the friend.

Another gentleman filed with his business and his attorney listed an inventory that was 10K over the exemptions. The trustee asked point blank if the man was going to liquidate the excess inventory and pay him 10K, to which the man, looking confused, answered yes. Trustee asked him again, same answer with hesitation, but look of abject confusion. Trustee said I don’t think you understand what I’m saying, let’s try math. Inventory is 30K, your exemption is 20K, so are you giving me 10K….lightbulb went off and replied no, no I can’t, I don’t have. Trustee looked at attorney and told him to amend and file revised schedule, but that he did not think it would help. After all, it was inventory that could be sold and was in excess of the exemptions. And he confirmed the minimal value estimate at least 4 times with the debtor.

Funny note on one attorney. The meeting was one of those 60 second uneventful ones. However at the end, the trustee grabbed a stack of over 80 pages, gave them to the attorney, and asked him if his law firm would be joining the digital age at any time in the foreseeable future so that they could start scanning and emailing the documents to him instead of mailing…he also highlighted the significant cost savings and benefits to the environment of such a move…lol.

All in all, a very fair trustee. Always gave debtors and their attorneys the opportunity to explain away something before making any determination. Always ready to crack a one liner to ease the tension. I certainly feel very much at ease now. I know I will be questioned regarding my future-looking tax withholdings and am ready to not only explain, but prove that they have been implemented; I’ll be asked about my own Vegas trip in July, where I went to a bachelor party (can't deny the gentleman's club cash withdrawal...lol...and yes, my wife is aware) but only spent a total of $240 plus $289 airfare; I’ll be asked about a large 5K deposit into my account post filing that is part of a class action settlement listed and exempted in our schedules as an asset, since it was received after the filing. I feel ready.

I would recommend to anybody who can to go and observe a few 341’s with the trustee you drew and understand his/her line of questioning vs. your filing. You’ll understand what you’ll likely be asked beyond the standard, if any, and be ready for it.

Hope this helps.
                you didn't??? wow...i'm really impressed.

do you think it's going to help you when you sit in front of him now as opposed to not seeing the trustee in action??

he's sounds pretty funny.

i also was impressed at how everything is in the electronic age now...all the filings the trustees with their laptops...everything at their finger tips...hating to even touch a piece of tree!!
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Speaking of trustees laptops....
                  i had a dream the other night about my 341 and in the dream i was sitting there with trustee, & my attorney and started feeling sick and told trustee i needed to leave and he said that i wasn't going anywhere and i puked all over his laptop.
                  oh man!!!!!
                  HUMMM..think it was more like a nightmare.
                  Last edited by oregonpilot; 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM.
                  filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                  "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

I was called first at my 341 (which went ridiculously quickly and smoothly--my attorney rocks)... and now I feel like I was deprived of the show. Nice problem to have I guess.
                    12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
                    8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
                    9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

Speaking of trustees laptops....
                      i had a dream the other night about my 341 and in the dream i was sitting there with trustee, & my attorney and started feeling sick and told trustee i needed to leave and he said that i wasn't going anywhere and i puked all over his laptop.
                      oh man!!!!!
                      HUMMM..think it was more like a nightmare.
                      yea...that's a nightmare!!

I
                      was called first at my 341 (which went ridiculously quickly and smoothly--my attorney rocks)... and now I feel like I was deprived of the show. Nice problem to have I guess.
                      yes, us too...it was somewhat anticlimatic...we were all ready and so was our atty...although we did get asked one question that had to do with an absolutely complex situation on the petition. however, i was prepared....answered ONLY the question that was directed to us and i didn't even think i answered it that well, the trustee was perfect about it. she was really very nice.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                        you didn't??? wow...i'm really impressed. OK, maybe I'm still not awake but I don't really follow....I didn't what? lol

do you think it's going to help you when you sit in front of him now as opposed to not seeing the trustee in action?? Absolutely. I understand what he looks at in the files and how he thinks. I know now what he is likely to question about my file whereas before I was clueless. I also know he tends to be fair and provide debtors with every reasonable chance of explaining something away.

he's sounds pretty funny.

i also was impressed at how everything is in the electronic age now...all the filings the trustees with their laptops...everything at their finger tips...hating to even touch a piece of tree!!
                        Yes, he was quite funny actually. A couple of debtors stood staring at him after he cracked a one liner not sure if they should laugh or if it was a trick question. I kind of felt sorry for them, I sympathize, but it was funny.

Comment

Thanks for sharing I love reading these.

I think in my district you can view other 341 meetings. They are closed
                          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

That's too bad Freddy. I know in some districts they are closed usually due to space constraints of the venue itself.

On a funny note, I stuck out like a sore thumb because I stayed there for four half hour sessions of 341's and was the only person who did not leave until lunch break. So guess who ends up being the only person to ride the elevator with my trustee...LOL. I nodded my head to him and dove my nose into my phone to avoid eye contact....I know he looked at me plenty in the meeting room, hope he won't remember my face in two weeks....just my luck!

Comment

I looked up the calendar for Oregon..it goes out for 3 weeks. And My trustee has 86 cases ,including mine, covering 3 towns in S Oregon up until "My Day".

I felt like that sore thumb too. Watched a whole morning couple of weeks ago. Haven't seen my trustee in action yet. New to the area, think i heard he came up from L.A. area
                              filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                              "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X