Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!) (updated: 04/28/2015)

Welcome to the Bankruptcy Forum. Bankruptcy (BK) Forum is known as BKForum.com and will be referred to as BKF hereinafter. In order to ensure a long term success of our vibrant community, we have established certain rules and guidelines to which everyone must adhere to. Please take your time to carefully read our rules, before you start to participate in the community.

Things you agree to do:
BKFORUM.com (BKF) users agree to use the search function before starting a new thread. This prevents duplicate discussions and allows for better organized topics.

All BKF users agree to read the sticky posts which may be available at the top of a forum page. These Sticky posts often contain valuable information. They may also outline more rules and guidelines specific for that particular forum, stickies are put in place by that forums moderator(s) or admin(s).

Things you agree not to do:

All BKF users agree not to call people names or write a post simply to make a personal attack, or get a negative reaction; this behavior is not allowed on our forum. The use of derogatory language aimed at anyone will be severely dealt with. There is no need to agree with each other, or to even like each other. However, by signing onto BKForum.com you agree to treat each member and guest with the respect they deserve. No threats or personal attacks will be allowed.

All BKF users agree not to discuss, engage, or encourage any behavior or activity which violates the law. Discussion of drugs, violence, murder, theft, vandalism, fraud or any other issue which could be used to help individuals break the law is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to "bump" old threads, unless there is a specific benefit to the community by doing so. But in most cases, please don't post in very old threads, instead start new threads.

All BKF users agree not to attempt/use another members account. It is against BKF rules to use any account other than your own. Impersonating another member will result in an immediate ban. It is also against the rules to open more than one account in your own name without permission from a moderator or administrator. If you have been banned for any reason, it is against the rules to open another account. If you were banned temporarily and you are caught using another account you will be banned permanently. Choosing a moniker which is similar in either sound or spelling as a moderator or administrator is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to private message any moderator, admin, or other member with questions related to their personal circumstances (Questions about the forum or issues with the forum are ok). This forum only works when members share their experience and insights with everyone.

Things you agree not to post:
All BKF users agree not to post any derogatory/racist/or sexist remarks. This includes attachments, links and all information contained within posts, signatures, and avatars, failure to comply with this rule will result in a permanent ban.

All BKF users agree not to post any copyrighted or trademarked information without the express written permission of the owner(s) / proper citation of source.

All BKF users agree not to post any real names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, social security numbers, or any other personal details (their own or other people's).

All BKF users agree not to post links, pictures, attachments, videos, or the like of pornographic content, objectionable material or extreme violence, whether cartoon or real.

All BKF users agree not to use BKF for advertising purposes without a written contract between yourself/company/agent and the administration of BKF. Blatant advertising will result in a ban.

All BKF users agree not to spam the forums. Spam includes but is not limited to posting erroneous, non-relevant-useless, off-topic, or meaningless posts. Spam may also include posts which contain no text, or large areas of blank space between lines. Simply posting emoticons without text is considered spam. BKF is the largest bankruptcy message board and all the content is intended to help other users. Please help us improve the quality of our forum by making sure that your posts are well-worded, spell checked, grammatically correct and syntaxed.

Regarding actions of moderators and administrators:

The forum is no place to air out your opinion or be judgmental of our staff and its capabilities.

All BKF users agree not to abuse or mistreat moderators or administrators. It is against BKF rules to post any information regarding bans or any other action taken by a member of the moderating or administrative team. If you wish to discuss bans or warnings please do so via PM. To place a complaint against a moderator, send a PM to a super moderator. All Moderators are equal, any decision made by a moderator must be adhered to. If a moderator tells you something you do not like, do not go to another moderator looking for a different answer. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. The moderators work as a team and respect the decisions made by their peers and will help enforce them unless an administrator tells them differently.
If you have an issue with how the forum is run, then notify one of our administrator and we will look into the situation. We have in the past and still do appreciate any input that you offer this forum. But critical input and/or judgmental postings towards the staff will result in you getting banned.


Should you find a thread offensive or out of line, then notify a Mod in a PM so they can evaluate the situation and do the action deemed necessary.

All moderators do have active "other" lives outside of the forum and help moderate this forum in their spare time throughout the days and weeks.

If you have a problem with a member or Mod follow the proper channels of reporting it.

BKF reserves the right to delete any posts which contain anti-BKF comments or discussion. Any bashing of moderators or administrators, or any of their discussion or actions will also be deleted, and the responsible posting party(s) will be banned. Any public anti-BKF advertising, communication, or posts on another forum will result in permanent bans as well.

All warnings and bans are decided by individual moderators and administrators. Warnings are preferable to bans however, for serious offenses and repeat abusers bans will go into effect. The length of the bans can vary from several hours to permanent.

All messages posted or sent including through PM are the property of BKforum.com.

All BKF users agree not to advertiser on the forum (Niether by posting, private messaging or using your signature). If you are a company/attorney/legal adviser wishing to advertise on the site or sell a product, you must contact the head administrator and inquire about our advertising packages.

All bankruptcy related opinions expressed on BKForum.com are those of their authors and not necessarily of BKF, its staff or representatives.

You agree not to copy any material/post/content from BKF without written permission from our head administrator .

By posting on this forum you agree to these terms and conditions, including any punishment deemed appropriate by moderators or administrators in the event of an offense.

Administrators/Moderators can change these rules at any time without prior notice.
See more
See less

Attorney retained may need to file pro se

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Attorney retained may need to file pro se

    Hello all,
    I know I haven't been on the site much in the last week just trying to figure out how I'm going to come up with the rest of the money to file. Which has me thinking of just filing pro se or seeing if legal aid can help me, they helped my sister. I have attorney retained but still owe him about more then half of his retainer fee. I'm single, no kids, no homes, so it seems like a pretty simple case if I decide to file pro se. I read attorney agreement and there are no stipulations if I decide to do this. I will call legal aid first to see if they can help me, but I'm getting lawsuits and just am ready to get this show on the road. Advice please!!!
    Mel
    Filed:11/2010
    341 Meeting:1/5/2011
    Discharge:3/2011

  • #2
    Originally posted by MeLLE159 View Post
    Hello all,
    I know I haven't been on the site much in the last week just trying to figure out how I'm going to come up with the rest of the money to file. Which has me thinking of just filing pro se or seeing if legal aid can help me, they helped my sister. I have attorney retained but still owe him about more then half of his retainer fee. I'm single, no kids, no homes, so it seems like a pretty simple case if I decide to file pro se. I read attorney agreement and there are no stipulations if I decide to do this. I will call legal aid first to see if they can help me, but I'm getting lawsuits and just am ready to get this show on the road. Advice please!!!
    Mel
    Well this would be a personal decision. Here is my opinion, with what I know now, I would have done so. It seems with law suits on your near horizon, you need to act soon. Get the C7 book from Nolo Press. It is not very expensive, down load pdf. It has copies of all the forms, explains the process in detail and addresses pro se.

    Get your money back or some of it. Attempt to avoid a Judgment at all costs. All will stop the minute you file. You can even fill out indigence forms and have your filing fees waved.

    The best bet is, you will feel a LOT better getting your docket number. (The Clerk can give you that on the spot when you file). I'd go for it. My opinion. 'Hub



    EDIT: C7 book download 14 bucks. http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...uptcy-HFB.html
    Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

    Comment


    • #3
      mel....call the atty you retained...i know the one we used did pro bono work....and the firm helped many people. although we were not a pro bono case, the firms fees were both reasonable and they worked out payments until we could pay in full.

      i would try them first...tell them you are thinking about trying to get help and if they would consider helping...it's worth a shot.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm seriously considering it. I have the book on hold at library it should be there in the next day or so. Yea I'm trying to avoid any judgements so my goal is to file soon.
        Thanks Hub!!!

        Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
        Well this would be a personal decision. Here is my opinion, with what I know now, I would have done so. It seems with law suits on your near horizon, you need to act soon. Get the C7 book from Nolo Press. It is not very expensive, down load pdf. It has copies of all the forms, explains the process in detail and addresses pro se.

        Get your money back or some of it. Attempt to avoid a Judgment at all costs. All will stop the minute you file. You can even fill out indigence forms and have your filing fees waved.

        The best bet is, you will feel a LOT better getting your docket number. (The Clerk can give you that on the spot when you file). I'd go for it. My opinion. 'Hub



        EDOT: C7 book download 14 bucks. http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...uptcy-HFB.html
        Filed:11/2010
        341 Meeting:1/5/2011
        Discharge:3/2011

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm going to contact attorney today, he is very nice and I know he does pro bono work at our local meltrotter. I just know that the longer it takes me to get him paid in full the worse off I will be. Just trying to get filed. I have another lawsuit that is pending and don't want to continue getting judgements.
          Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          mel....call the atty you retained...i know the one we used did pro bono work....and the firm helped many people. although we were not a pro bono case, the firms fees were both reasonable and they worked out payments until we could pay in full.

          i would try them first...tell them you are thinking about trying to get help and if they would consider helping...it's worth a shot.
          Filed:11/2010
          341 Meeting:1/5/2011
          Discharge:3/2011

          Comment


          • #6
            I made a mistake in the price of the C7 book. You save 14, the price is about 26. Sorry but my "proof reader" Mrs. C caught my error. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              I made a mistake in the price of the C7 book. You save 14, the price is about 26. Sorry but my "proof reader" Mrs. C caught my error. 'Hub
              your entitled....to even 2 errors...hub...
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MeLLE159 View Post
                I'm going to contact attorney today, he is very nice and I know he does pro bono work at our local meltrotter. I just know that the longer it takes me to get him paid in full the worse off I will be. Just trying to get filed. I have another lawsuit that is pending and don't want to continue getting judgements.
                i'm glad to hear that...

                really....don't worry about the judgments...easy for ME to say....that can and will be removed after the discharge. the atty will go back in and file a motion to vacate each of them. really...so do not fret...it will be fine.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MeLLE159 View Post
                  I'm going to contact attorney today, he is very nice and I know he does pro bono work at our local meltrotter. I just know that the longer it takes me to get him paid in full the worse off I will be. Just trying to get filed. I have another lawsuit that is pending and don't want to continue getting judgements.
                  Save up and use an attorney. Any lawsuits you get will be vacated when you file bk and are discharged so there is no need to worry about getting judgments. All of the judgments will be included in your bankruptcy when you file. I agree that the longer you wait to file, the more complications from your creditors like judgments you will have to deal with, but it is much easier to file with an attorney if you can.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you use coupon code A464 on the payment page at Nolo, you'll save an additional $10 That brings the cost of the online pdf book down to $15.99. Great deal!
                    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
                      If you use coupon code A464 on the payment page at Nolo, you'll save an additional $10 That brings the cost of the online pdf book down to $15.99. Great deal!
                      I agree that that is a great deal for the Nolo book. Even if you use an attorney, the Nolo book is an excellent resource. I bought one when I filed even though I used an attorney.
                      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MeLLE159 View Post
                        Hello all,
                        I know I haven't been on the site much in the last week just trying to figure out how I'm going to come up with the rest of the money to file. Which has me thinking of just filing pro se or seeing if legal aid can help me, they helped my sister. I have attorney retained but still owe him about more then half of his retainer fee. I'm single, no kids, no homes, so it seems like a pretty simple case if I decide to file pro se. I read attorney agreement and there are no stipulations if I decide to do this. I will call legal aid first to see if they can help me, but I'm getting lawsuits and just am ready to get this show on the road. Advice please!!!
                        Mel
                        There are definately pros and cons to using an attorney. For me, I was bankrupt, literally, and had NO money to pay an attorney. I was able to pay the BK fee and the fee for the required financial courses and that was it. The Legal Aid Clinic near me wasn't much help at all.

                        So, I found this board and between that and a BK Book that I had purchased, filed pro se. I filed on 7/7/10, so my discharge is not too far away. I was also in the same boat as you....I had turned in my car on an expired lease days before filing so no car, no kids and no home.

                        I wish I had of known about the NOLO books, but I was fine without it. Just use this board as much as possible to ask lots of questions and set aside a weekend to fill out and review your forms.
                        Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
                        Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you read carefully and get the Nolo book, you should be okay pro se. I prepare documents for pro se filers in California, and pretty basically, if you are low income, and aren't dealing with a house or any other matters, you should be fine. Just read these boards and you should do fine. Also, look on your local BK court's website. There should be a guideline as to the order in which the documents should be filed, etc.
                          Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                          341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                          Discharged: 11/30/2009
                          Closed: 12/16/2009

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I will keep you all posted on what I decide to do!


                            Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                            If you read carefully and get the Nolo book, you should be okay pro se. I prepare documents for pro se filers in California, and pretty basically, if you are low income, and aren't dealing with a house or any other matters, you should be fine. Just read these boards and you should do fine. Also, look on your local BK court's website. There should be a guideline as to the order in which the documents should be filed, etc.
                            Filed:11/2010
                            341 Meeting:1/5/2011
                            Discharge:3/2011

                            Comment

                            Unconfigured Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X