Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney retained may need to file pro se

Hello all,
    I know I haven't been on the site much in the last week just trying to figure out how I'm going to come up with the rest of the money to file. Which has me thinking of just filing pro se or seeing if legal aid can help me, they helped my sister. I have attorney retained but still owe him about more then half of his retainer fee. I'm single, no kids, no homes, so it seems like a pretty simple case if I decide to file pro se. I read attorney agreement and there are no stipulations if I decide to do this. I will call legal aid first to see if they can help me, but I'm getting lawsuits and just am ready to get this show on the road. Advice please!!!
    Mel
    Filed:11/2010
    341 Meeting:1/5/2011
    Discharge:3/2011

Originally posted by MeLLE159 View Post
    Hello all,
    I know I haven't been on the site much in the last week just trying to figure out how I'm going to come up with the rest of the money to file. Which has me thinking of just filing pro se or seeing if legal aid can help me, they helped my sister. I have attorney retained but still owe him about more then half of his retainer fee. I'm single, no kids, no homes, so it seems like a pretty simple case if I decide to file pro se. I read attorney agreement and there are no stipulations if I decide to do this. I will call legal aid first to see if they can help me, but I'm getting lawsuits and just am ready to get this show on the road. Advice please!!!
    Mel
    Well this would be a personal decision. Here is my opinion, with what I know now, I would have done so. It seems with law suits on your near horizon, you need to act soon. Get the C7 book from Nolo Press. It is not very expensive, down load pdf. It has copies of all the forms, explains the process in detail and addresses pro se.

Get your money back or some of it. Attempt to avoid a Judgment at all costs. All will stop the minute you file. You can even fill out indigence forms and have your filing fees waved.

The best bet is, you will feel a LOT better getting your docket number. (The Clerk can give you that on the spot when you file). I'd go for it. My opinion. 'Hub

EDIT: C7 book download 14 bucks. http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...uptcy-HFB.html
    Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 10-12-2010, 05:25 AM.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

mel....call the atty you retained...i know the one we used did pro bono work....and the firm helped many people. although we were not a pro bono case, the firms fees were both reasonable and they worked out payments until we could pay in full.

i would try them first...tell them you are thinking about trying to get help and if they would consider helping...it's worth a shot.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I'm seriously considering it. I have the book on hold at library it should be there in the next day or so. Yea I'm trying to avoid any judgements so my goal is to file soon.
        Thanks Hub!!!

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
        Well this would be a personal decision. Here is my opinion, with what I know now, I would have done so. It seems with law suits on your near horizon, you need to act soon. Get the C7 book from Nolo Press. It is not very expensive, down load pdf. It has copies of all the forms, explains the process in detail and addresses pro se.

Get your money back or some of it. Attempt to avoid a Judgment at all costs. All will stop the minute you file. You can even fill out indigence forms and have your filing fees waved.

The best bet is, you will feel a LOT better getting your docket number. (The Clerk can give you that on the spot when you file). I'd go for it. My opinion. 'Hub

EDOT: C7 book download 14 bucks. http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...uptcy-HFB.html

Comment

I'm going to contact attorney today, he is very nice and I know he does pro bono work at our local meltrotter. I just know that the longer it takes me to get him paid in full the worse off I will be. Just trying to get filed. I have another lawsuit that is pending and don't want to continue getting judgements.
          Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          mel....call the atty you retained...i know the one we used did pro bono work....and the firm helped many people. although we were not a pro bono case, the firms fees were both reasonable and they worked out payments until we could pay in full.

i would try them first...tell them you are thinking about trying to get help and if they would consider helping...it's worth a shot.

Comment

I made a mistake in the price of the C7 book. You save 14, the price is about 26. Sorry but my "proof reader" Mrs. C caught my error. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              I made a mistake in the price of the C7 book. You save 14, the price is about 26. Sorry but my "proof reader" Mrs. C caught my error. 'Hub
              your entitled....to even 2 errors...hub...
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I'm going to contact attorney today, he is very nice and I know he does pro bono work at our local meltrotter. I just know that the longer it takes me to get him paid in full the worse off I will be. Just trying to get filed. I have another lawsuit that is pending and don't want to continue getting judgements.
                i'm glad to hear that...

really....don't worry about the judgments...easy for ME to say....that can and will be removed after the discharge. the atty will go back in and file a motion to vacate each of them. really...so do not fret...it will be fine.

Comment

Save up and use an attorney. Any lawsuits you get will be vacated when you file bk and are discharged so there is no need to worry about getting judgments. All of the judgments will be included in your bankruptcy when you file. I agree that the longer you wait to file, the more complications from your creditors like judgments you will have to deal with, but it is much easier to file with an attorney if you can.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

If you use coupon code A464 on the payment page at Nolo, you'll save an additional $10 That brings the cost of the online pdf book down to $15.99. Great deal!
                    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
                      If you use coupon code A464 on the payment page at Nolo, you'll save an additional $10 That brings the cost of the online pdf book down to $15.99. Great deal!
                      I agree that that is a great deal for the Nolo book. Even if you use an attorney, the Nolo book is an excellent resource. I bought one when I filed even though I used an attorney.
                      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Hello all,
                        Mel
                        There are definately pros and cons to using an attorney. For me, I was bankrupt, literally, and had NO money to pay an attorney. I was able to pay the BK fee and the fee for the required financial courses and that was it. The Legal Aid Clinic near me wasn't much help at all.

So, I found this board and between that and a BK Book that I had purchased, filed pro se. I filed on 7/7/10, so my discharge is not too far away. I was also in the same boat as you....I had turned in my car on an expired lease days before filing so no car, no kids and no home.

I wish I had of known about the NOLO books, but I was fine without it. Just use this board as much as possible to ask lots of questions and set aside a weekend to fill out and review your forms.
                        Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
                        Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

If you read carefully and get the Nolo book, you should be okay pro se. I prepare documents for pro se filers in California, and pretty basically, if you are low income, and aren't dealing with a house or any other matters, you should be fine. Just read these boards and you should do fine. Also, look on your local BK court's website. There should be a guideline as to the order in which the documents should be filed, etc.
                          Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                          341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                          Discharged: 11/30/2009
                          Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I will keep you all posted on what I decide to do!

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                            If you read carefully and get the Nolo book, you should be okay pro se. I prepare documents for pro se filers in California, and pretty basically, if you are low income, and aren't dealing with a house or any other matters, you should be fine. Just read these boards and you should do fine. Also, look on your local BK court's website. There should be a guideline as to the order in which the documents should be filed, etc.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X