Got a call over a 22 year old debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
    Skip tracing is actually pretty good these days. People don't realize that they leave their phone numbers and other information on social networking sites like Facebook! Not even that, the social networking systems even link people together, so it easy to find your friends and relatives. Yes, they use Facebook.

I would proceed with a demand letter.
    True, but it just sounds awfully scammy to me. Kind of like those people that contact the elderly asking for credit card numbers. I'd just be cautious.

Comment

I believe the poster was cautious. He had them verify information without giving them information. If it's an original creditor, you just send the mail/letter to them.
      Last edited by justbroke; 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        In my case, there was no judgment. If this is actually a judgment, then there are other issues since some judgment can actually be renewed for a second term. I would first attempt to just "scare" them off with the discharge order and a cover letter telling them to stop trying to collect. That works in most cases.
        sounds like a solid plan
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I have had similar experiences, nothing quite this old, but some old credit card debts from my college years which were already beyond their statute of limitations, and they suddenly came back to life when I applied for a car loan (a HUGE collection trigger) in 2004.

Here's how I handled them:

1. I did not speak to them on the phone.

2. I sent them a cease and desist communications letter by certified mail. (see my signature for how to word it)

3. I never heard from them again.

It was that simple.

If it happened to me in the future, I might add this phrase:

"The statute of limitations has expired. If you file a lawsuit, I will fight you in court, and I will win, and you will pay my legal fees and court costs."

Notice, I never admitted to owing them anything.
          The world's simplest C & D Letter:
          "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
          Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X