top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential new job with state government-does credit history/BK matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new job with state government-does credit history/BK matter?

So I am changing jobs and filling out paperwork for a background check-basically I have the job, but they can't formally offer it to me until the background check is completed. The disclosure is worded as follows:

"It may also include, but not be limited to, credit information reports, criminal history reports and driving history records."
    The new job is with a state college, so I will be an employee of the state. I thought that government jobs could not/did not do credit checks for employment? I get that they need to check my criminal history since I'll be working at a school, but I'm now worried about getting turned down. The position does involve managing an office budget, but a very small one, and is not really financially oriented. Somebody please tell me if I should be worried or not... Also, should I contact HR and tell them ahead of time that they will find a record of it (we were discharged in March of this year)? I was never asked at any point about anything related to my personal finances in the interview or on the application, etc...
    Last edited by Diesel73L; 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM.

There have been a number of threads on this since I joined. Do a search here on background check, for others' stories. There are varying opinions on being upfront about this. My only experience is: I just had a background check for a job, and I had no problem, but it was a private company.

Comment

My husband, another relative and several friends that all have bankruptcy/credit issues (3 different states) in their pasts have state related/government jobs and none of them had problems with credit reports. In my husbands case he asked them if he should let them know anything up front with regards to credit issues and they said "no" we are concerned only with the criminal check only. So he never said anything and they never pulled the credit report. Only one of the jobs involved a financial/acctg position (a state college) and she did not have any issues.

I think you will be ok or you could ask them if they pull credit like my husband did but you might be worrying for nothing. Good Luck with the new job!!!

Comment

Hi Diesel,
        I understand your concern. I'm in an active 13 and applied for a part time job. I have been offered the job pending the background investigation. Needlesss to say I'm biting my fingernails right now. I'll wait and see what comes of the report.
        Good luck to both of us. My postition is with the distribution center for a hospital in WA state.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I don't think bankruptcy will be a problem, unless you are applying for a job where you will be a signatory on a business account, or otherwise have access to a large amount of company money (eg bank teller, loan officer, etc).

Most companies which use credit reports to screen out potential hires are looking to see if you have open collections, judgments, or charge-offs. The theory--which I don't agree with--is that an employee who has a lot of defaulted debt is allegedly going to be more likely to steal/accept bribes, and will be distracted by worrying about the debts. Once you have filed for bankruptcy and discharged the debts, you don't owe the money anymore, therefore there is no risk to the company.

It should be noted that recruiters from several companies which I would be interested in working at in the future explicitly told me that in order to pass their pre-employment credit check, I needed to pay, settle, or discharge in bankruptcy any defaulted debts. Thus, I filed for bankruptcy, and discharged all my debts so that once I graduate, I will be employable!

Comment

Well I don't know whether they did a credit check or not, but regardless, I got the job! With my wife having found a job in the nick of time (her unemployment benefits ran out the week she started), and now this new job for me, BK was truly a new start for us. Good luck to everyone else out there!!!

Comment

Congratulations!! Great news! Good luck with it.

Comment

Diesel--Congratulations to you and your wife!!!!
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Congratulations Diesel..I'm very happy for you...

I'm still waiting to hear about my background check/job. Enjoy your weekend!
                  Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                  Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Congrats Diesel!! Yay for you and your wife!!!

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you, sophieanne!
                    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Terrific news !!! Best of luck to you and a new life!

Comment

best of luck on your new job!!! i hope it came with some nice state bennies!
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X