Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post BK Update

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I've been here. I apologize as my mom has been very ill over the last year or so. She is living with terminal bone cancer, but she remains in good spirits. Hubby and I had our Chapter 7 discharged in late Sept 2012. Since then, my hubby has been laid off twice. He has been working but at a much lower hourly rate. I do freelance accounting work from home. I can honestly say if it wasn't for the positive habits that we formed during the bankruptcy process, thanks to the advice of the members here, we wouldn't have made it through. We have savings built up, and we have never had to touch it. This was even during times we had to fight to get hubby's unemployment, and I was the only one with an income coming in for weeks at a time. We learned to live on a cash basis, and we learned our wants from our needs. And our needs have been met while still putting money into savings.

We do each have a credit card. We waited for a year after our bankruptcy and got secured cards through our credit union. We paid off our vehicle and my student loan. We had one car that was in bad shape, and we still owed money on. We stopped paying on it before we file for our bankruptcy, and we never affirmed it. Is that the right phrase? The lender actually told us they didn't want it back when we called when we got our discharge. Hubby used it for work, but now it's ready to be scrapped. We finally got the title from the lender after I paid them $5 dollars for the car. This took over a year. So now we can scrap it. We are going to buy a used truck for hubby with cash. His mom has an older farm truck and only wants $100. We are lucky that way.

I just want to say bankruptcy was a hard process but a necessary one for us. We have learned to live on a cash basis, and we were able to make it through tougher times than before we actually filed. Our needs were met and we essentially just enjoyed each day as it came. The process of bankruptcy brought us closer together. It taught us to be honest and open about or finances. It was thanks to the members of this forum sharing their advice and own stories that helped us achieve this. Things are improving work wise for us, but I was so proud that we made it through those dark days. We were able to laugh and enjoy life. There are many free forms of entertainment. Yes, it was a blessing. We are responsible with our credit card usage and never carry a balance. All in all, it's been a good and life improving process.

tater! sounds great! so sorry about your mom, i will be praying for her. we have learned to hold our breath tight with each PET scan. it sounds like your doing so well and have done just an excellent job of getting your financial house in order!

job well done and much success to you!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tater, thanks so much for sharing your story with you. I am so sorry for your mom and send positive thoughts your way as you go through this with her. I was so happy to read about the way you're living your life..you are an inspiration. You are one who truly learned from the bk experience and now have your life in order because of it. I hope others will learn from your experience.
      Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
      Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Hi, Tater! Thanks for sharing your story. It's a wonderful example of how people do not need to use credit as an emergency fund, even when times get rough. You have done so well with your fresh start.

I'm so sorry about your mother. May her remaining days on this earth be filled with peace, light and love.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Tater, congrats on your ability to rise above and learn from your bankruptcy experience. Your lifestyle changes and your positive attitude are a testament to your commitment to move in a progressive way and live within (or under) your means. Cash is king and deciding what is priority in your life will keep your head above water and in the boat!

Sending positive thoughts and comfort to your mother and your family. Good Luck....

Comment

Tater.... I too want to say thanks for sharing! Congrats on such a job well done. Please believe me when I say that I will keep your mom in my prayers.

Many blessings to you,
            The Bajan
            Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
            Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X