No announcement yet.

Latest News on UI extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not in Germany. Uniform trade schools has allowed the country to export more than us.

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
    actually we have a Labor shortage in this country. For higher skilled jobs. someone mentioned Programers. I contract with a major US corporation that can't find enough skilled programers in the US or abroad

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
      There are ways to counter outsourcing. Our competitors up north and much of the EU have single payer health care. Firms who have operations there do not fork over up to $20,000 per employee in health benefits. We need to liberate employers of this boon dongle. This would encourage people who are sick of their corporate jobs to be their own boss such as setting up a small business, consultant etc and employers would hire more as well with out the added benefit expense.
      Do you realize there is a 12% income tax in the UK for the employee and 13.8% for the employeer for national health insurance? So for a $80,000/year employee is still costs the company ~$11,000 and another $10k for the employee. 2011 in the US is estimated at an average of $9800 per employee. So the total cost would be a wash for a $40k/year employee and twice as much for an $80k/year employee.
      No matter what system is in place, its going to be expensive.
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
        The unemployment extension was fast tracked which requires a 2/3rds majority in the House for passage. The dems do not have a 2/3rds majority in the current Congress. Plus any Senator can stop it in its track by filibustering it.
        Yes, but it didn't have to be fast-tracked. If this congress had done their work when they should have, the Republicans would have been powerless to stop them. For goodness sake, they didn't even pass a budget!
        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

oh this HURTS me soooooooooooo much, i must stand corrected....(whatmoney)...yes, it's the house not congress...OK...i said it, you'll ONLY HEAR IT ONCE...

all i would like, as i have stressed before; is ONLY the monies we paid in for 50 years. i'm not asking for anyone's tax dollar to support us while we are looking for jobs, or trying to ride out these horrible financial times.

we are facing the truism that we have now become "unemployable". no retraining, no jobs in any fields will ever open up to us again.

we are beginning to think alternatives.. starting our own business is one of them. we have had a few other people approach us about doing things "together", but feel partners may not be the best way for us to go. we need something that doesn't require start up money...so we hope or are still examining if it may be worth a try.

we just have no place to go or look for a job. there has been such debate...well go work at burger king...well, there are NO openings at the burger king here....well, go GREET at walmart...(the bkforums fav).......well, we were there yesterday, just asking out of curiosity if they were hiring......they replied NO...and we have OVER 1000 applications on file which unfortunately we will have to get rid of many of them.

my point it, we need REAL answers and solutions....NOT stats on whom or who is or isn't employed....NOT blame....it's them or NO it's them...it's many things that lead up to this sitution and the state of the country, once again, there is NO one person responsible...(although, i still think, if we want to use the BLAME game, allen greenspan would be on the TOP of my list). that's JUST a comment, an observation based on my opinion and not up for debate wm...k?

there appears to be simply no solution to this unemployment issue....and the future certainly does seem bleak for many. i just wish there was something to look forward to, NOT like a 10 year old's little one, anticipating Christmas morning, but a simple spark of hope...a twinkle of light some where beyond that dark tunnel...that's all i want for Christmas!
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
            Yes, but it didn't have to be fast-tracked. If this congress had done their work when they should have, the Republicans would have been powerless to stop them. For goodness sake, they didn't even pass a budget!
            they most certainly didn't and it's such a GAME.....and we are the pawns stuck in the middle. it's really so obvious...they must think us so blind!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

From what I picked up, the next tier of UC has been turned down. Even if it was extended, Mrs. has been on it for three years now. What we have gotten, we are thankful for. It will eventually stop anyway so whether you jump off a three story or a 12 story building, the stop will come eventually. We must prepare for worse times but hope for better ones. Planting gardens, is coming back, shop at yard sales, not WallyWorld, store extra food stuffs as you are able, learn to can stuff it is cheap and easy. In other words, back to basics. Get to know your neighbors for self protection. Share abilities freely. We will all get through this as we have with our bk's.

Actually, we are better off than most as those here are being educated right now in hard times. Our lesson is learned but we must teach others. As we are doing here. Just my two cents. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                From what I picked up, the next tier of UC has been turned down. Even if it was extended, Mrs. has been on it for three years now. What we have gotten, we are thankful for. It will eventually stop anyway so whether you jump off a three story or a 12 story building, the stop will come eventually. We must prepare for worse times but hope for better ones. Planting gardens, is coming back, shop at yard sales, not WallyWorld, store extra food stuffs as you are able, learn to can stuff it is cheap and easy. In other words, back to basics. Get to know your neighbors for self protection. Share abilities freely. We will all get through this as we have with our bk's.

Actually, we are better off than most as those here are being educated right now in hard times. Our lesson is learned but we must teach others. As we are doing here. Just my two cents. 'Hub
                hub, i can really understand those that have actually collected the 99 weeks to understand the situation a bit clearer.

for us, personally, we have not even collected but 49 weeks....and of course, just like you point out...we all know this has to come to an end...we need to stand on our own two feet.

we, also, feel blessed that we have or had this EI money to help us start our new lives..and again, we are luckier than most as well...we both at the least have the ability to hang a "shingle" outside our doors because of our educational backgrounds and licenses or certifications...so for us we need to GET creative, (but for me first healthy) and look forward...never back.

your right hub, we are all better educated in this situation than most and should use what we know to help us along the way.

i probably think the single MOST (not important in the scheme of things), is really understanding our own mortality....ha......i'm NOT as old as i thought by an entire year...my husband reminded me when i said what am i going to do at 58 years old...where am I GOING?? he said he didn't know since i just turned 57....a quick laugh at that one.
                the point being, we are realizing there is not many doors going to be opening for us anytime soon at all....ever, and most likely never again..

Comment

Thank you BobMango - I was too unclear in my earlier post and didn't want to clarify for fear of sparking a big political rehash on the topic. But... EXACTLY! It's not like this issue was hidden and then just snuck up on everyone. And it's not like the voters were being quiet. "Jobs Jobs Jobs" was a message every single politician should've been able to hear if they'd bothered to listen.
                  OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peeps View Post
                    Thank you BobMango - I was too unclear in my earlier post and didn't want to clarify for fear of sparking a big political rehash on the topic. But... EXACTLY! It's not like this issue was hidden and then just snuck up on everyone. And it's not like the voters were being quiet. "Jobs Jobs Jobs" was a message every single politician should've been able to hear if they'd bothered to listen.
                    you got that right peeps...let's just hope someone hears us loud and clear!!

Comment

The Democrats never intended for this benefits extension to pass. This was a designed and intentional failure. Remember ... the Democrats still have the majority in the House. They can pass pretty much anything they want to. But ... they DIDN'T want to. They were after some ammunition to use against the hated GOP, not extended unemployment benefits for jobless Americans

The bill extending unemployment benefits is put on the floor of the House under what they call "fast-track rules." Under these rules a two-thirds vote is required for passage.

The Republicans were not permitted to offer any amendments to the bill. All the GOP wanted to do was to introduce an amendment calling for this $12.5 billion price tag on this bill to be covered with spending reductions in some other areas. Now come on ... with government spending having doubled and doubled again in recent years, don't tell me these people couldn't find a way to cut spending in some unnecessary areas to cover these extended benefits. The Republicans had some suggestions ... cut stimulus spending in some less effective areas. Now on what level does that NOT make sense?
                      Filed Ch 13 10/7/10
                      341 11/5/10
                      Confirmation 12/15/10

Comment

Originally posted by dh7448 View Post
                        The Democrats never intended for this benefits extension to pass. This was a designed and intentional failure. Remember ... the Democrats still have the majority in the House. They can pass pretty much anything they want to. But ... they DIDN'T want to. They were after some ammunition to use against the hated GOP, not extended unemployment benefits for jobless Americans

The bill extending unemployment benefits is put on the floor of the House under what they call "fast-track rules." Under these rules a two-thirds vote is required for passage.

The Republicans were not permitted to offer any amendments to the bill. All the GOP wanted to do was to introduce an amendment calling for this $12.5 billion price tag on this bill to be covered with spending reductions in some other areas. Now come on ... with government spending having doubled and doubled again in recent years, don't tell me these people couldn't find a way to cut spending in some unnecessary areas to cover these extended benefits. The Republicans had some suggestions ... cut stimulus spending in some less effective areas. Now on what level does that NOT make sense?
                        i think you hit the nail right on the head!!! it makes WAY too much sense for them to get it!!!

i think we should take your post and send it to them!! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dh7448 View Post

Well I might believe that -- and even agree -- if the Republicans were not absolutely HYPOCRITICAL when they profess concern over the deficit when talking about unemployment BUT they don't blink at the thought of adding $700 billion to the deficit to extend tax cuts to the income over $250k (remember the Democratic proposal is to give everyone a tax cut on the first $250k). And NO the "small businesses" do not need it to "create" jobs - it hasn't worked the last 8 years. The "small business" owner who has taxable income of $1 million is not thinking about his tax rates and whether to add another employee at the same time. The ONLY reason he is going to add another employee is if he has the demand for his product/service to justify it.
                          So if the Republicans were saying we must tackle the deficit. Let's go back to the tax rates we had under Clinton -- when we had a vibrant economy and a budget surplus -- and extend unemployment using stimulus dollars that have not yet been spent I would agree. Instead they are arguing that all of the tax cuts should be permanent!! Do you know how many in congress are now made up of millionaires? Interesting conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
                            Let's go back to the tax rates we had under Clinton -- when we had a vibrant economy and a budget surplus --
                            The vibrant economy and budget surplus (which was, in fact, only a "projected surplus"--everyone seems to forget that) was more a product of the dot-com boom than the tax rate...or any other federal economic policy, for that matter.
                            This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Originally posted by rjmwx81 View Post
                              The vibrant economy and budget surplus (which was, in fact, only a "projected surplus"--everyone seems to forget that) was more a product of the dot-com boom than the tax rate...or any other federal economic policy, for that matter.
                              No, it was in fact a "real surplus". http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...e_federal.html

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
                                No, it was in fact a "real surplus". http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...e_federal.html
                                Interesting reading, though it still doesn't change the fact that the increase in gov't revenue was a result of economic growth, and not the cause of it.
                                This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X